Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 280,907 times)

PierreVW

Quote from: bb-15 on Jun 26, 2017, 06:46:42 PM
Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 26, 2017, 05:04:38 AM
I remembered an old interview where Ridley Scott talked about Von Danniken and his theories.

Ridley Scott was interested in Von Danniken and his theories since a long, very long time ago.

I did a Google search for Von Daniken and his theories Ridley Scott.

The earliest link I could find with this search was a Hollywood Reporter article from June 28, 2011 about a "Prometheus" press event at CineEurope.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ridley-scott-michael-fassbender-noomi-206321

From the article;

QuoteThe British director said the film's storyline, and script ... was partially inspired by the writings of legendary Swiss sci-fi writer Eric van Daniken.

But 2011 is after 2009.
In 2009 Spaihts made his pitch for the "Alien" prequel.

Spaihts has said as I've posted;

Quotemy first thought was that these ancient giants must have been the von Daniken‑style aliens who some believe helped to shape ancient civilizations, and raise our early monuments, and, perhaps, even to shape the development of the species itself.
https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/interview-part-1-jon-spaihts-5cf713ab14c4

Again, Spaihts made his pitch to Fox and Scott in 2009.
Spaihts' first idea was to tie the Space Jockey with Von Daniken's concepts.

Spaihts has claimed that he came up with connecting these ideas from Von Daniken and the Engineers.
Ridley AFAIK has not contracted that.

* Back to the design language of "Prometheus". It includes human looking space aliens and classic architecture / motifs from ancient times.
The origin of putting those design concepts into "Prometheus" it seems comes from the ideas/scripts from Spaihts.

;)

You could be right.

Because Ridley Scott wasn't interested in PROMETHEUS at the beginning. Carl Rinsch was the first Director. FOX fired him. FOX only wanted Ridley Scott.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 26, 2017, 07:22:20 PM
Carl Rinsch was the first Director. FOX fired him. FOX only wanted Ridley Scott.
and now I only want Scott, too

tleilaxu

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 26, 2017, 08:50:23 PM
Carl Rinsch was the first Director. FOX fired him. FOX only wanted Ridley Scott.
Same. Can't imagine any other director finishing this. The only other director I would trust with the Alien franchise in general is David Cronenberg to be honest.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 26, 2017, 08:50:23 PM

Agreed. The die is cast. Alien felt sort of self-contained, and Cameron was extending or building on something that was "done," more or less. I think Covenant isn't finished, and Ridley needs to be allowed to finish the tale he wants to tell.

chrisandy

Quote from: Dkwookie on Jun 26, 2017, 05:14:55 AM
I hate to say I told you so but it did tell the so called experts about 40 pages back this film is not a flop until the fat lady sings (Chinese box office).
It's time to call it, the film is not a flop. It's not a hit and I had any money to invest in a sequel I wouldn't do it. If I was an investor with Fox I would say put my money into the Cartel film Ridley has planned but don't put it into another Alien film as it's ever decreasing returns based on the last two films.
Besides as a Ridley Scott fan I want to see him do something original for him. I want to see Cartel channeling Tony Scott. Ridley told NZ Stuff h has 10 films left in him (http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/92454786/Alien-Covenant-Milford-Sounds-big-moment-in-the-Hollywood-spotlight) and I would rather he go out in a blaze of glory making something that can live up to Gladiator or Kingdom Of Heaven Directors Cut than an even lower budget Alien film

Page 39 of thread:
"It can't be called a flop until all the receipts are in. Resident Evil The Final Chapter was deemed a flop but then opened to 90+ million weekend in China going on to make 160 million there. That's now the biggest film of the series and so big they are doing an immediate reboot.

I don't for one second preditct AC will do that in China but then I never would have said RE TFC would make 90 mil opening.

You never know, so it's a little early to pronounce it as a flop. Wait until it's hit the full set of markets then call it a flop"

As with most other folks on here, missing the point.

Average revenue split for domestic B.O. is 50% theaters, 50% studio. China is a lot more opaque - closer to 25% for the studio. So even if it made $30 million (and it had a sharp drop too), not all of that is going to the studio.

Also worth considering - P&A spend. It's likely Fox spent the budget, or close to the budget, of A:C on marketing. So production and advertising cost put together equals about.. $200 million.

In other words, the film would need to make $400 million to break even.

tleilaxu

Quote from: chrisandy on Jun 26, 2017, 10:31:13 PM
Quote from: Dkwookie on Jun 26, 2017, 05:14:55 AM
I hate to say I told you so but it did tell the so called experts about 40 pages back this film is not a flop until the fat lady sings (Chinese box office).
It's time to call it, the film is not a flop. It's not a hit and I had any money to invest in a sequel I wouldn't do it. If I was an investor with Fox I would say put my money into the Cartel film Ridley has planned but don't put it into another Alien film as it's ever decreasing returns based on the last two films.
Besides as a Ridley Scott fan I want to see him do something original for him. I want to see Cartel channeling Tony Scott. Ridley told NZ Stuff h has 10 films left in him (http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/92454786/Alien-Covenant-Milford-Sounds-big-moment-in-the-Hollywood-spotlight) and I would rather he go out in a blaze of glory making something that can live up to Gladiator or Kingdom Of Heaven Directors Cut than an even lower budget Alien film

Page 39 of thread:
"It can't be called a flop until all the receipts are in. Resident Evil The Final Chapter was deemed a flop but then opened to 90+ million weekend in China going on to make 160 million there. That's now the biggest film of the series and so big they are doing an immediate reboot.

I don't for one second preditct AC will do that in China but then I never would have said RE TFC would make 90 mil opening.

You never know, so it's a little early to pronounce it as a flop. Wait until it's hit the full set of markets then call it a flop"

As with most other folks on here, missing the point.

Average revenue split for domestic B.O. is 50% theaters, 50% studio. China is a lot more opaque - closer to 25% for the studio. So even if it made $30 million (and it had a sharp drop too), not all of that is going to the studio.

Also worth considering - P&A spend. It's likely Fox spent the budget, or close to the budget, of A:C on marketing. So production and advertising cost put together equals about.. $200 million.

In other words, the film would need to make $400 million to break even.
That would mean Prometheus wouldn't have been a box office success. Surely it has to be less. I'd say around 300 million maybe.

Scorpio

It has to make another 50 mil at least to get a sequel.

juxtapose

if a movie can double it's production budget then it's not considered a flop. .because marketing cost can be covered by tv licencing, merchandice, dvd/bluray sales etc. Prom had a reportrd marketing cost of 50mil. .so i don't see why they would double the marketing cost on covenant. .so it's likely not made aprofit yet but it is definately going to get their sooner or later. .unfortunately breaking even and making a few mil does not guarantee a sequel. .fox will have to decide if they are willing to take the risk and all we can do in the meanwhile is hope and pray. .

SM

SM

I tend to think the promo costs weren't that huge on this.  Last Supper, The Crossing and the video messages would've likely all been shot as part of principal photography in Sydney where they were getting a nice old tax break on the Australian tax payer (roads, schools, hospitals and Alien films - suits me).  These were pretty substantial promotional pieces that wouldn't have required extra marketing dollars.

Nukiemorph

I know Prometheus made over $400 million, but that's sort of absurdly high for an R-rated horror movie.  It seems unrealistic for Fox to bank on this movie making even $300 million, let alone matching the $400 mil success of Prometheus, doesn't it?

juxtapose

juxtapose

Sci-Fi Horror is a tough sell. .Prom had a softer R, so it was a little easier to sell, a lot of people don't like horror, audiences tend to give them a lower rating. .not uncommon for a horror movie to get a C+ or B-

the riddick movies were all done on a relatively small budget. .except for cronicles wich bombed quite badly. .the last one only made litte more than double it's small 38 mil budget and considering that resident evil made about 80 percent of it's 312 gross from china alone. .how profitable was it really ?. .if the studio only gets back 25 percent of that. .?. .still it's getting a reboot. .have to google what the budget on that one was?

SuicideDoors

Quote from: necrotard on Jun 27, 2017, 12:08:22 PM
I know Prometheus made over $400 million, but that's sort of absurdly high for an R-rated horror movie.  It seems unrealistic for Fox to bank on this movie making even $300 million, let alone matching the $400 mil success of Prometheus, doesn't it?

Life didn't even break $100million worldwide and even had an A-List cast to boot.

Nukiemorph

I was glancing at the Paranormal Activity movies on BoxOfficeMojo.  Those are always regarded as massive successes, yet most of those only grossed around $100 million.  They're just considered successful because they're practically made with a single cheap camera and some fishing line.

palerider

Ok guys , what is the latest figures? ........Do we get a sequel or not?

juxtapose

juxtapose

Quote from: palerider on Jun 27, 2017, 04:13:28 PM
Ok guys , what is the latest figures? ........Do we get a sequel or not?

well i hate that it so in a grey area right now. .i meaning if it hits anything between 240-260. .it's still in that grey area. .neither a hit or a miss. .will we get a sequal. .maybe . .maybe not. .so now the waiting game starts. .it would have almost been easier to except a complete spectacular flop. .but i always wanted it to succeed and i thought it was super entertaining. .love covenant. .personally i thought it was up the with the first 2 originals. . But according to so many of these so called fan boys it was a complete f**king incoherent mess with awfull effects and stupid plot devices and bad characters and bad acting and bad space ships and bad bad bad. .oh my god?. .f**k all those people i loved it and i will gladly lap up any and every drop that this franchise got coming. .actually enjoying prom and covenant more than alien and aliens at this point!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed