AvPGalaxy Interviews Wayne Haag, Alien: Covenant Concept Artist - AvPGalaxy Podcast #42

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 14, 2016, 09:14:01 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Interviews Wayne Haag, Alien: Covenant Concept Artist - AvPGalaxy Podcast #42 (Read 35,895 times)

Immortan Jonesy

The fire of Prometheus or the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil from "Paradise Lost", both represented as sources of forbidden power. I hope to see these kind of themes in the movie.

Great interview btw.

Stolen

Thank you The Eighth Passenger and Enoch.

QuoteAnd something that I really like: Covenant draws a lot from Moebius, has the feel of a graphic novel like Blade Runner. Mentions the Long Tomorrow by Dan O'Bannon and Moebius.

This made my day.
Covenant is going to be a visual masterpiece, that's for sure!

Mr. Clemens

Thanks again to 8th & Enoch for breakin' it down!

jdxmoore

Thanks for doing this interview. Wayne is fascinating to listen too. Very articulate guy.  Really looking forward to seeing his contributions to the film.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Makes sense for the more bio-mechanical elements to be introduced slowly over the course of the sequels (he did say that there will be subtle bits and pieces in Covenant, if I recall), elated to hear that the xeno won't be completely explained. Haag's speculations are probably right on the money - those Engineers stole the "fire", this would completely contextualize Prometheus.

Interesting to speculate about what we're right about, even though he avoided spoilers there were still quite alot of interesting tidbits and "maybes"...Enough to get the imagination firing away.

Faraz Jafari

Wayne we need to get on you more podcasts!

MENTD

Excellent interview, wow!

Jet Jaguar

Taking influence from Moebius is really really awesome. Those french graphic novels really inspired lot of Hollywood filmmakers than any of tie-in US graphic novels. I don't think any Dark horse comics ever influenced any Alien movies.

Necronomicon II

Haag said, in his response to there being a return to bio-mechanical design elements, quote, "No, EXCEPT for the obvious parts..."

So there will still be bio-mechanical stuff, just don't expect a huge amount.

Corporal Hicks

I think that would have likely been in reference to the Big Chap.

Necronomicon II

Yeah, although sets needn't be Bio-mechanical per se to be Giger-esque, you could just use bones and vertebrate.

Corporal Hicks

Prometheus was Giger-esque in a sense that it had similar patterns but it looks so obviously not. I think that blend of patterns and a suitably looking material is what you really need.

Necronomicon II

True, which is why I suspect Wayne is right about the engineers stumbling on the tech; they're imitating the Gods, I suspect this is the twist that was hinted at in a tweet. Heck, the urns have different alien text on them, so...
It'd be cool to see columns of bones and vertebrate in the familiar pattern, that could still look spectacular, I remember one of the artists tweeting or posting about visiting Giger's museum prior to working on the film.

Enoch

Someone to finally mention that, there is indeed a different type
of writings on urns! :) That is of course nothing new, but
it certainly suggests some things.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I didnt get to read through this thread since it listening, so I apologize if many of you mentioned some of this stuff already.

Some things Im excited to hear were the heavy influence of Bocklin on the Paradise landscapes. That seems like a wise move to me, that will gel well with the Engineers and Giger.

He says that he has seen what we write on here, and in some cases we are one point and in others we are off.

He confirmed that the GOO is what introduces the Giger-elements, and when Corporal asks about Giger landscapes he DOES say that there is SOMETHING like that in this film, even though it wont be a Giger-planet, per-se.

I like that he brought up Moebius and The Forvever War. He mentions that image of the naked guy next to the trilobyte from the O'Bannon Moebius graphic novel...

I enjoyed his conversation about Ridley backing himself into a corner over the Giger-bio-mechanical aspects. But I still think RS has a plan for that.

Overall very good listen. He did a good job providing info w/o spoiling story elements.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed