Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,129 times)

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Gash on Jun 07, 2017, 08:21:09 PM
Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 07, 2017, 07:43:49 PM
And yes, Nick is right, Blade Runner flopped extremely hard and was scorned by critics for nearly a decade.

Yes, sadly it did. At the time the critics response seemed to be, this is the guy that did Alien, so let's bring him down a peg or two and bash it. Vangelis' music was ridiculed for being chosen because it was fashionable in the wake of Chariots of Fire. Critics had by this stage decided that The Duellists was style over substance - Alien also received that accusation but it was with Blade Runner that the detractors felt they had the definitive proof of their negative bias. So again Blade Runner was a film that was considered to be all about visuals with no worthwhile substance. One critic accused Scott of stealing Kubrick's footage from the opening of The Shining for the closing of Blade Runner. Scott was even criticised by an American critic for the way he himself looked. The knives were out for Blade Runner and it only got proper re-evalution after the accidental screening of an early voice-over-less cut years later when the negative clamour surrounding it had faded into insignificance.

Alien also received mixed reviews. Many critics condemned it as just a haunted house movie in space and said it was all style and no substance. Some of the reviews were actually pretty savage.

Masterpieces become so over time, not on initial release.

SM

SM

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 07, 2017, 11:00:09 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 07, 2017, 02:02:54 AM
That kind of dismissiveness is why I didn't venture much further into reading it.

"I'm too lazy to read." OK, got it.

Quote from: D88M on Jun 07, 2017, 02:47:49 AM
I glossed over the first 8, 9 or 10 paragraphs and is more of the same, is more like a rant against the fans that did not liked Covenant than a review

And you sound like someone who didn't read a single word of what I wrote. "In these paragraphs, he wrote this." Uh, maybe cite some actual quotes from my piece? You're just like SM: "Oh, he takes a stance that I don't agree with. I don't feel like reading it..." The hypocrisy you guys utilize is rather thick. If you can't read the review or use anything from it in a counterargument, you're not actually talking about it.

I'm not going to just say what makes people happy and slap a random number score onto it; that's what constitutes reviews, nowadays. If you want call what I wrote a rant, that's your prerogative, but I fail to see how what I wrote constitutes anything remotely close to one.

It's not laziness or hypocrisy - it's not wanting to be treated with with pretentious condescension for any longer than I have to.

On top of that, I specifically said I'm not in a position to judge because I hadn't read the whole thing.

Alionic

Alionic

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Evil robot and mad scientist have both been done before in the series.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 07, 2017, 09:30:43 PM

Not to mention robots as developed characters along with other characters who also have 'story arcs.'

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 07, 2017, 09:39:53 PM

Not to mention robots as developed characters along with other characters who also have 'story arcs.'

Which character are you referring to?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 07, 2017, 09:48:17 PM

Probably all of them

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 07, 2017, 09:52:39 PM

Probably all of them

More nonsense then

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 07, 2017, 09:54:39 PM

Probably all of them

More nonsense then
Really? How so? Ash, Bishop and Call had 'story arcs'

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 07, 2017, 09:57:16 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 07, 2017, 09:54:39 PM

Probably all of them

More nonsense then
Really? How so? Ash, Bishop and Call had 'story arcs'

I would hardy call them story arcs. These are far from complex characters. Call probably has the most I guess but it's an incredibly contrived one, in a film I can barely bring myself to watch.

David is the only android so far to have a story arc because he's the centre of the story. Ash and bishop are peripheral and serve Ripleys story arc.

SM

SM

Call's arc is in her changing attitude to Ripley.

Ash and Bishop- yep, no arc. We learn more about them, but they don't change over the course of the story.

D88M

D88M

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 07, 2017, 11:00:09 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 07, 2017, 02:02:54 AM
That kind of dismissiveness is why I didn't venture much further into reading it.

"I'm too lazy to read." OK, got it.

Quote from: D88M on Jun 07, 2017, 02:47:49 AM
I glossed over the first 8, 9 or 10 paragraphs and is more of the same, is more like a rant against the fans that did not liked Covenant than a review

And you sound like someone who didn't read a single word of what I wrote. "In these paragraphs, he wrote this." Uh, maybe cite some actual quotes from my piece? You're just like SM: "Oh, he takes a stance that I don't agree with. I don't feel like reading it..." The hypocrisy you guys utilize is rather thick. If you can't read the review or use anything from it in a counterargument, you're not actually talking about it.

I'm not going to just say what makes people happy and slap a random number score onto it; that's what constitutes reviews, nowadays. If you want call what I wrote a rant, that's your prerogative, but I fail to see how what I wrote constitutes anything remotely close to one.

I did, i read the first, like, 10 paragraphs, maybe is you who didnt read what i wrote lol, i am not gonna put the 10 paragraphs here, is pointless, i got bored of reading it because in the title said "Covenant review" and was more like a rant against people who did liked the movie

what hipocrisy? what are you even talking about?

You can say whatever you want bro, i dont care, and i know a lot about not saying something just to make everyone happy, i liked Covenant, is a good movie, but is not great, not by a long shot, though it does have some GREAT moments

Reviews are about objectively talking about a movie, about its virtues and flaws, and how good or bad is overall

Maybe rant is not the exact word, english is not my first language so excuse me everybody for any typos, but is just like: This is what i think of the people that dont liked Covenant, for 10 paragraphs at least, and also, it might be just me, but you sound a little agressive and superior in your tone, we can have a civilized debate without accusing anybody of anything about stuff we like or dont like

Also, lets be honest, Covenant is good with some great moments, no doubt about it, but it could, and it should have been so much better, it lacks connection to Prometheus, the characters but David and Walter are bland and generic, the ending is like a dumbed down, rushed, modern recycled version of the Alien ending, the pacing after the first hour is rushed (it shows that footage is missing), some dialogues are not so good, etcetera, all movies have flaws of course, and except 2001 and Solaris (the Russian version, of course) no movie is perfect, but Covenant is far from being even a great movie

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

I've seen many films with amazingly deep, complex characters but Alien and Aliens are definatley not amongst them. Alien is my fave film of all time but it's just a genre flick whose characters can be summed up in a sentence.

Lambert, Parker, Dallas etc are no less meat for the grinder than Farris or Karine.

For me, Oram is one of the most complex characters in the entire series. Alien 3 and Covenant are the strongest entries character wise IMO.

SM

SM

Yeah I quite liked Oram and based on the pre-release stuff I really thought I wouldn't.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SM on Jun 07, 2017, 10:55:04 PM
Yeah I quite liked Oram and based on the pre-release stuff I really thought I wouldn't.

Yeah I was the same. I expected a religious zeolot, a figure to hate but I found him to be very real and sympathetic. It subverted my expectations which is one of the reasons I like the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed