Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,265 times)

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: SM on Jun 06, 2017, 10:01:46 PM
Pretending this chest burster wasn't a major departure from previous ones is disingenuous however.

wah I only want a repeat of Aliens wah wah

SM

SM

Is there something the matter with your keyboard?  Your post has the word 'wah' appearing randomly.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: SM on Jun 07, 2017, 06:26:59 AM
Is there something the matter with your keyboard?  Your post has the word 'wah' appearing randomly.

Too much Jimi Hendrix.

SM

SM

:laugh:

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

:D :D :D ;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm getting immensely bored of certain people who are unable to accept that other people may not agree with them or think the same of the film and instead of being gents about it, act like dicks. If you can't present yourself in a mature manner, don't respond. It's as simple as that. I have an expectation that the people here are at least teenagers (I can't remember the exact age limit) so let's actually see people acting like it.

So let's see less dismissive responds, let's see less generalizations and how about we have some adult conversations? If you're incapable then there's really no point in responding at all.

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

Completely agree, man. It is getting really boring. Every day I come on all I'm seeing are the same childish spats and arguments going on and on.

I liked Covenant. I liked it alot. I love that Scott didn't just give us a straight up remake of Alien and delivered something fresh. Remember when Predators came out? I couldn't wait. All I wanted was a simple rehash of Predator. Which is exactly what we got. And during the film I could not believe how bored I was. It dawned on me that I had already seen this movie before albeit a vastly superior version.

So I love that Scott gave us a new alien film that dares to be different. It's every bit the 'Alien' movie and it plays with the familiar creatures and alien movie tropes we all know and love, but it's a new and fresh take on them from one of the main men responsible for 'birthing' this great series. Not only that but the film has given us new insight into another strain of the Alien creature in the 'Neomorph'. Which has already left a lasting impression on fans and filmgoers alike. I feel like alot folks who are angry at the film or fans who didn't like it are lashing out because they did not get a straight up 'monster-in-a-tin-can' movie from Ridley this time around. Scott has been there and done that, he nailed it in fact! And in doing so created the definitive sci fi horror movie of all time. Forgive him if he'd like to elaborate and try something different.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: SM on Jun 07, 2017, 02:02:54 AM
That kind of dismissiveness is why I didn't venture much further into reading it.

"I'm too lazy to read." OK, got it.

Quote from: D88M on Jun 07, 2017, 02:47:49 AM
I glossed over the first 8, 9 or 10 paragraphs and is more of the same, is more like a rant against the fans that did not liked Covenant than a review

And you sound like someone who didn't read a single word of what I wrote. "In these paragraphs, he wrote this." Uh, maybe cite some actual quotes from my piece? You're just like SM: "Oh, he takes a stance that I don't agree with. I don't feel like reading it..." The hypocrisy you guys utilize is rather thick. If you can't read the review or use anything from it in a counterargument, you're not actually talking about it.

I'm not going to just say what makes people happy and slap a random number score onto it; that's what constitutes reviews, nowadays. If you want call what I wrote a rant, that's your prerogative, but I fail to see how what I wrote constitutes anything remotely close to one.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I engage with this forum once in five years. I was willing to give AC a chance despite my deep misgivings about the plot. Outside a couple excellent sequences and some spectacular production design it failed to meet even my low bar. It didn't trip up because of the relatively tiny niche fandom on this site which ultimately means very little - I still expected it to do well and make money. But it failed there too because the movie didn't work on a larger systemic level, and evidently general audiences saw that coming somehow without giving a shit about AVPGalaxy.net.

The problem with a lot of film reviews these days is that too many of them become glorified blogging - a personal journey into a self-focused, self-reflexive narrative that seems designed for resume padding to be able to pitch the Great American Screenplay, as opposed to engaging simply with the media free of personal complexes. This is where you and so many other talking heads on YouTube I don't watch make mistakes. People not liking the movie is not about a reflection on you or anyone else on this silly board. It's about people not liking the movie. That's it. You need to get out of your own head, ignore this board, and look at those reasons instead of assuming this is all about us or how we relate to you. Because it's not. In the real world nobody gives a shit about any of us. The real world is where this movie died.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 07, 2017, 07:05:52 AM
I'm getting immensely bored of certain people who are unable to accept that other people may not agree with them or think the same of the film and instead of being gents about it, act like dicks. If you can't present yourself in a mature manner, don't respond. It's as simple as that. I have an expectation that the people here are at least teenagers (I can't remember the exact age limit) so let's actually see people acting like it.

So let's see less dismissive responds, let's see less generalizations and how about we have some adult conversations? If you're incapable then there's really no point in responding at all.

I've been waiting for this. Thanks Hicks! :-)

Oh, and well said SpeedyMaxx

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 07, 2017, 01:01:55 PM
People not liking the movie is not about a reflection on you or anyone else on this silly board. It's about people not liking the movie. That's it. You need to get out of your own head, ignore this board, and look at those reasons instead of assuming this is all about us or how we relate to you. Because it's not. In the real world nobody gives a shit about any of us. The real world is where this movie died.

And you could say the same of Blade Runner when it completely and utterly bombed, and was torn apart by critics. As far as I'm concerned the information that "peopled didn't like Covenant" simply isn't useful or interesting to me. For me, it's about  looking beyond the simple facts that "people don't like the movie" and analyzing the movies, themselves. I don't expect to change people's minds if they're dead-set against it. But I do get annoyed if people attack what I write without demonstrating that they've read it, in any shape or form. Yes, this means citing quotes.

They're free to attack me, if they want, but that doesn't mean I have to care. At the end of the day I don't. Sure, I wish Covenant did better, but the reasons for its poor performance aren't mysterious to me. And in my arguments, I don't simply dismiss people who attack the film. Maybe in the title. But in my arguments, I provide plenty of their own statements through my own lens. I at least can interact with their rhetoric via my own in actual discourse, as opposed to clapping my hands over my ears and going "lalalalalalalalala! I'm not listening to you!"

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 07, 2017, 02:47:34 PMAnd you could say the same of Blade Runner when it completely and utterly bombed, and was torn apart by critics.

I'd be very surprised if Covenant is ever held in the same regard as Blade Runner.

For one thing, Blade Runner was innovative.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Ah yes, but does it have android kung-fu?

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteAnd you could say the same of Blade Runner when it completely and utterly bombed, and was torn apart by critics.

Wow.

Actually, no you could not say that. Covenant is nowhere near the same tier as Blade Runner. It's nowhere near the same tier as Alien. And since so many people here seem to--for some reason--consider Aliens to be an enemy or rival of Alien, instead of a companion, then I'll ruffle all your sensitive little feathers to definitively state that Covenant is also nowhere near the same tier as Aliens either. Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner; those are each individually groundbreaking films outside of the context of Ridley Scott, James Cameron, or the science-fiction genre. Alien Covenant doesn't break new ground within the Alien series, and sure as hell doesn't within general cinema.

Like I've mentioned before, people liking the film doesn't bother me. Whatever, people like Prometheus and I've had to get over that over the last five years too. But defending Alien Covenant, which many are saying is the 3rd best film in the series, by putting it on the same plane as some of the best films ever made is absurd, and makes one come off as insecure that they won't be surrounded and validated by other proponents of Covenant at all times. You can like Covenant, but give me a break.

Not to mention, Blade Runner's theatrical situation is not the same as Covenant's at all. The film's production was not a rose garden, hence we didn't see the film originally intended. There's no indication that this is the case with Covenant. We know ~20 minutes were cut for mere running time, not for content. Covenant will be the exact same movie in 35 years, unlike Blade Runner. Scott has had absolute control over this film, so we have the definitive finished product right now. Second, Blade Runner was blown out by ET (like every other genre film in 1982), not the critics. Go ahead and compare that to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 absolutely destroying Covenant at the box office if you want, but it's also not the same. Guardians of the Galaxy may have been a surprise, but its anticipated sequel was not, and Covenant's reviews weren't all that bad.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a loyal fan and will purchase the Blu-Ray. But let's not trivialize film masterpieces in defense of something that at best is objectively 'decent,' especially in the context of Scott's career.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Hudson, if you ever come to Pasadena, CA I am buying you a beer! That was an amazing post that articulated everything I would want to if I had such a command of language.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed