Should they add a DLC which lets you play as the Alien

Started by Darkblade 25, Feb 06, 2015, 02:42:33 PM

Author
Should they add a DLC which lets you play as the Alien (Read 4,044 times)

vikingr

A multiplayer mode should much more like the survival craft games (DayZ, H1Z1, The Forest etc.).

Every player plays an survivor/looter on Sevastopol, there are several aliens to avoid, while completing little tasks from safe rooms (like the DLC Safe Haven or Lost Contact). You can work together with others or fight each other for items.

That would be the easiest and best solution for a good multiplayer imho.

Darkblade 25

Nightlord

Quote from: vikingr on Feb 12, 2015, 05:14:06 PM
A multiplayer mode should much more like the survival craft games (DayZ, H1Z1, The Forest etc.).

Every player plays an survivor/looter on Sevastopol, there are several aliens to avoid, while completing little tasks from safe rooms (like the DLC Safe Haven or Lost Contact). You can work together with others or fight each other for items.

That would be the easiest and best solution for a good multiplayer imho.
What would be really cool is something like this and then to make it work as a versus mode, the alien begins as a facehugger and he's killable in this and the chestburster stage. The main enemies could be working joes and of course if the alien player makes it to being the alien it's game over.

vikingr

That would lose the frightening aspect of the game. No fully grown alien... that's kinda boring.

Nightlord

You ever played lifecycle in AvP2?

Facehuggers are terrifying.

vikingr

No, I didn't but I can't imagine there are more terrifying than in A:I and those big aliens are just hell of a ton scarier, than those facehuggers in A:I. No comparison.

Vrastal

Avp2 alien gameplay was my favorite drones were a bit slow but meh i still prefer it to avp2010 being restriceted to crawling at all times and very hard to control wallcrawling pounce felt very restricted

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 12, 2015, 09:42:36 PM
Avp2 alien gameplay was my favorite drones were a bit slow but meh i still prefer it to avp2010 being restriceted to crawling at all times and very hard to control wallcrawling pounce felt very restricted

Exactly, this was one of the reasons I disliked being an Alien in AVP2010 and A:CM, I hated walking on all fours and the stance as well. AVP 2 allowed you to stand up and run or crouch and run on all fours I believe.

I don't see how playing as the Alien will lose the frightening aspect, we played as the Alien before and it never altered our persepective of the Drone, people were still spooked, playing as it won't change anything about it because its still unpredictable which is where the terror comes from. If you meant just the facehugger then fair enough, though those come with a terror of their own.

JazzX

Quote from: LazyXeno2002 on Feb 06, 2015, 02:42:33 PM
I am just wondering it will be awesome to play as the alien.

I wouldn't be against a multiplayer game if it was done well.

But NEVER should the alien be played by a human - otherwise it has human reactions and makes human choices; unlike the lethal, dangerous, unfeeling, unforgiving monster they've created. It becomes a guy in a suit lamely chasing after the other players - it would be rubbish!

I don't even think the Working Joes should be played by humans either. Because they are hive-minded morons. Any individual playing a working Joe would turn it into an intelligent being, which it isn't.

I'll give you the riot police - they can be successfully used as a multiplayer faction.

Or Weyland-Yutani grade androids - humans in all but name, and very strong - you can have them.

But no - the Alien must never be played by a human.

vikingr

JazzX nailed it. As a human you should play a survivor/looter which could be a shop owner, colonial marshal or a technician.

Androids are supposed to be dump and predictable, which a human player wouldn't be in general, while controlling the alien in a proper way would be impossible. And yeah, it kinda becomes a guy in a suit with that too.

I don't understand why anybody would like to play the alien at all. It's the mean unpredictable feral beast. It doesn't feel things like anger or fear (at least not comporable to the way humans feel it). The choices the alien would make, wouldn't be alien-like.

It's completely different with the predator. He's much more humanoid, is intelligent, walks on two legs etc.

The Cruentus

Maybe they shouldn't make anymore AVP games then or if they do make, stick you only as the marine  :laugh:

Quotewhile controlling the alien in a proper way would be impossible. And yeah, it kinda becomes a guy in a suit with that too.

I don't understand why anybody would like to play the alien at all. It's the mean unpredictable feral beast. It doesn't feel things like anger or fear (at least not comporable to the way humans feel it). The choices the alien would make, wouldn't be alien-like.

Don't see how, Aliens walk, humans walk, its not impossible at all, its down to you as a player to either act like the Alien or as a human controlling an Alien, playing as the Alien doesn't change anything, just remember AVP2, you started off as facehugger, then a chestburster and then a Drone. You have to go through the lifecycle of the Xenomorph, no human choices there, you either go though it survive or don't, like an animal.
As an adult, you proceed to stalk and tear people apart.....sounds just like the drone in Isolation.

I don't understand why you don't understand why people want to play as Alien. just kidding  :laugh: take a look at the the fandom, I can't speak for everyone but most of us probably have been loving playing as Aliens and Predators more than humans in AVP games, I didn't like the Alien stance or walk in AVP10 and A:CM though.

I do understand yours and others thoughts on this though, you believe playing as Alien = less scary but be re-assured it doesn't, I have my experience to prove that, I played as the Alien all the time in previous games and this Isolation Drone still screwed me over and surprised me with its unpredicatable ways, it was never less scary to me, in fact, it seemed better than ever. here is a question everyone should ask themselves, did playing as an Alien in previous games spoil Alien: Isolation for you? or were you still surprised?

Here is the funny part, the reason why the Alien in Isolation is so effective is because it has near human thought process (well unpredictable and adaptable AI)  it learns like a human, it adapts like a human. It  backs off when you point flamethrowers at it (fear, which they do have, Alien 3 mentions it) but like a human, it gets pissed off (it gets angry all right, Queen anyone? eggs are destroyed and she tried to kill Ripley in vengeance) and will then ignore the flames to kill you. It can even troll you, sometimes when you hide, it sees you but instead of going for you, it "leaves" just so you can get up, breathe a sigh of relief and go though the door and die because it was just standing there waiting.

So playing as the drone won't make a difference, you would still have to search for people and you would still have to learn their patterns...and you can troll them and get pissed off  ;D

My main reason for liking this idea is because in the end, Isolation is going to get boring, there is only so many times you complete a game before you stop, I mean I will keep replaying it for awhile, I want to get much as I can out of it and I love the game but I would want more content to change the experience up, the downloadable content so far don't seem story driven, it is just survival mode.

vikingr

Aliens are much fast than humans, they move differently (on all fours, upside down), they fight with there claws, tongue and tail, they got sharper senses etc.

You always need to make compromises to create aliens controlled by humans. I prefer realistic translations.

And the alien would be less scary if you would control it in A:I, because you would see how and where it moves (i.e. vents above). Other users controlling the alien may move on a funny way, others players won't take it serious and the fear factor will get lost. Maybe not for everyone but for many players.

When I mentioned fear, I said "at least not comporable to the way humans feel it". They fear the flamethrower, but they don't fear dark rooms, the knowledge that there are humans threatening it and so on.

At the end I'm sure CA sees it pretty much the same, so they won't make anything like that. Sadly they won't do a multiplayer mode at all, because I think this could be very nice.

The Cruentus

Quote from: vikingr on Feb 14, 2015, 06:51:05 PM
Aliens are much fast than humans, they move differently (on all fours, upside down), they fight with there claws, tongue and tail, they got sharper senses etc.

You always need to make compromises to create aliens controlled by humans. I prefer realistic translations.

And the alien would be less scary if you would control it in A:I, because you would see how and where it moves (i.e. vents above). Other users controlling the alien may move on a funny way, others players won't take it serious and the fear factor will get lost. Maybe not for everyone but for many players.

When I mentioned fear, I said "at least not comporable to the way humans feel it". They fear the flamethrower, but they don't fear dark rooms, the knowledge that there are humans threatening it and so on.

At the end I'm sure CA sees it pretty much the same, so they won't make anything like that. Sadly they won't do a multiplayer mode at all, because I think this could be very nice.

Only Runners run on all fours, humans can too, it just doesn't work much because our back legs are bigger than our arms  :P Drones and Warriors are usually bipedal. They have sharper sense to an extent, they can't see through walls, that was just a game mechanic in AVP for balancing purposes, the movies and Isolation show that they don't see through walls.

I get what you saying, I really do but no compromises are needed, so long as the player Alien is killing, stalking and hiving, and not smoking a cigar and watching tv  ;D its fine, just put yourself in the shoes of any human character without a gun and have another player as an Alien, you would still be running from it and there would be tension. Aliens are not mindless animals, there is a level of intelligence there, they are more like super aggressive gorillas.

That is debatable, how is an Alien going to move funny when it will be using the exact same animation style to move?  you will just be in first person controlling it, it won't change how it moves. Slow, fast, upside down. this could be done in AVP. Also vents are vents, we already know how it travels.
and how won't they take it seriously? its not like we will be watching its ass like in A:CM  :laugh: no third person mode dammit  lol
As for fear, fear is fear and most primitive creatures have lots to fear, fire is one shared by most, you don't need to have the same fear as another for it be classed as fear. The fact the Alien regards humans as a threat means it fears what we are capable of. You don't consider something a threat without a level of fear being involved.

Sure, I don't think CA will do it either, I am just pointing out in my own opinion, playing as an Alien won't effect how we see it because our newfound perspective of it comes from its unpredicitable behavior, which still would be unpredicatle even after playing as the Alien, it wouldn't suddenly stop being smart.

Multiplayer is not a bad idea though, I like that. take dead island for example that was fun but CA had their intended goal for this game, they even watched the development of A:CM to make sure they didn't go down the same road.

Speaking of multiplayer, I have an idea, I am not sure what is going on with avp 2 these days but if I get myself an upgrade for a pc, I will challenge you to one-on-one match, human and one Alien only, human has no weapon, just motion tracker, and you have to survive as long as possible.....might need to mod it so Alien can't see through walls, hell might have to create an isolation level complete with tables and lockers lmao

Sounds good actually. Any modders out there volunteer for creating sevastopol for AVP 2?

vikingr

Doing idiot moves like run in circles, jump down and up the vent and all that odd stuff people do playing online games. It would look "funny" on looters too, but it doesn't ruin the atmosphere so much as for the fearsome alien doing it.

The Cruentus

Yes but people don't have to do that do they? that is just those people as you say.

Most gamers like to immerse themselves in gameplay, when I play as the Alien, I am the Alien, for example in AVP2010, I won''t run around a battlefield jumping up and down, I will be the thing that kills you from behind while you weren't looking, I would be thing on the wall behind you waiting to pounce, while you are shooting other targets, I won't be the white dot coming towards you, I will be the dot behind you that you saw too late. I won't be running to you, I will be sneaking to you, when you see me, you die. 8) No joke either, I was really good at being an Alien, got killed a few times of course, who hasn't? lol I disliked the stance and run style of 2010 Drones though and how you stick to walls without wanting too. AVP2 had a toggle for that.

Don't let other's foolish behavior spoil games or species for you dude, This is why its good to have a clan or an avp community, you can then have people who take the game seriously and roleplay as their species to make a match authentic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed