Should they add a DLC which lets you play as the Alien

Started by Darkblade 25, Feb 06, 2015, 02:42:33 PM

Author
Should they add a DLC which lets you play as the Alien (Read 4,052 times)

Darkblade 25

I am just wondering it will be awesome to play as the alien.

vikingr

I don't think it would be fun and therefor they won't do it.

It's hardly possible to get that done right, also the horror of the alien would be taken away, which is pretty bad in a horror survival game.

Corporal Hicks

It's not really the point of this particular game. And Creative Assembly are quite adamant on their vision for the game. And that is the human experience of being on your own. I don't think we'll ever see it.

Crazy Rich

I doubt it'd ever happen, and I don't object either as it'd take away from the Isolation experience.

Doktor Wunderbar

While I would love this and would pay for it, it would probably be a bad idea.  The game is about making the player fearful.  Such a DLC would make the player feared.

Implementation would also be a problem - the alien is essentially indestructible and can go anywhere that humans can.  A human player controlling the alien would likely be more effective at finding and killing NPC humans than the AI alien is at finding the human-controlled Ripley.  Unless all of your prey are armed with flamethrowers and trackers, and they give you a health bar, and possibly give the humans ways create barricades and seal vents, there would be little challenge.

Xenomrph

I wouldn't want DLC like that. If I want to play a game where I get to be a scary Alien murdering scared people, there's several AvP games where I can get my fix.

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2015, 06:13:58 AM
I wouldn't want DLC like that. If I want to play a game where I get to be a scary Alien murdering scared people, there's several AvP games where I can get my fix.
Those games are usually about killing enemies who are trying to kill you.  I'm envisioning a DLC of this kind being more focused on trying to find an enemy that's trying to hide from you, the way Amanda was trying to hide from the alien.  Of course, putting a human intelligence in the position of the Sevastopol alien would be tricky to implement in a balanced way.

vikingr

Imo there is no proper way to portray an alien as a playable character in a video game. I didn't went well in the AvP series and it won't anywhere else too. Predator is much easy to portray in comparison, because it got less ways to move along and isn't focused on melee like the alien is.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Doktor Wunderbar on Feb 07, 2015, 03:53:15 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2015, 06:13:58 AM
Those games are usually about killing enemies who are trying to kill you.  I'm envisioning a DLC of this kind being more focused on trying to find an enemy that's trying to hide from you, the way Amanda was trying to hide from the alien.  Of course, putting a human intelligence in the position of the Sevastopol alien would be tricky to implement in a balanced way.
Many of the Alien levels in AvPClassic had you slaughtering random civillians who couldn't defend themselves. The Alien campaign level onboard the freighter was pretty much 'Alien' played from the perspective of the Alien (and a ton more humans to kill).

The Cruentus

I disagree with most here as I don't believe playing as the Alien will diminish it in any way, we have all played as the Alien before in other games, it never hurt the game then and won't now. Oh and the "have to remove invincibility" thing is not a bad thing because the Alien is not invincible, not in-universe anyway, it was a game mechanic to ensure you couldn't deal with the threat....otherwise the game would be very short wouldn't it?  :P
But I can understand everyone concerns, don't want to take steps back now do we  :laugh: but CA made a good game, I believe they can easily make a good Alien campaign without screwing things up like others did, also it would be refreshing, all that pent up frustration at pesky Joes and humans, now you get to hunt them. As for the concerns about not portraying the Alien properly, sure you can. If the Alien has to get hosts for the hive, then one of your goals would be to have sneak and take one human at a time without killing him or her and without getting spotted and so on, there is so many ways for the Alien to be played instead of the usual wanton slaughter.

I would like an origin story about the main Drone, how it came to be, how it helped start the hive for the Queen, plus we really haven't played as a decent Alien since Alien versus Predator 2. I speak for my own view here of course but I really can't stand playing as an Alien in AVP2010 and A:CM, just too low down, I wanted to play as the terrifying 8ft +  warriors but you pretty much run around like a dog Alien and get gun-butted to the floor by marines. At least in Aliens versus Predator 2 gave you the choice of Alien type and the crouch button, which allowed play styles.

Jegeren

I would like this. If it uses the groundwork of the Rebellion AVP games with Alien gameplay, it would make playing as the Alien a very stealthy and lethal experience. If done properly it would be awesome, especially if done from an "Alien" and not "Aliens" pov.

vikingr

I found playing the alien in AvP 2010 was really bad implemented.

I don't think it's possible to play the alien in a proper way. A human player misses the reflexes and it's hard to show all the superior instincts in a good way.

Corporal Hicks

I found the play in AvP 2010 to be the best yet. It felt very fluid and the ability to see through the walls was very reflective of their enhanced senses. I do wish they'd have been more hiding places - as in nooks and etc - for the Aliens though.

vikingr

Maybe the best yet, but still not good. At least for my likings.

Seeing through the wall, was one point what disturbed me. It was necessary, but it didn't felt fitting, giving the alien a wrong touch visually.

Darkblade 25

I think it is a bad idea right up to now it will not be a horror game if you play as the alien but thing I will like a Muitplayer when people have to play as a human help each other to get away from the alien and try to make it off the ship would be great.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed