Fans of the Arcade Releases & Retro Consoles

Started by XenoZipper, Mar 16, 2016, 10:53:10 PM

Author
Fans of the Arcade Releases & Retro Consoles (Read 2,697 times)

XenoZipper

I didn't see any mentions about any of the arcade titles & the Snes/Genesis releases. So by those I'm referring to..

Aliens (the Konami arcade game)
Aliens vs Predator (arcade beat em up Final Fight styled game)
Alien 3 The Gun (arcade)
Alien 3 (Nes/Snes/Sega Genesis)
Aliens vs Predator (Snes)

Out of those I actually really enjoyed the Konami Aliens game. I played it a lot in the arcades when I was a kid.
No one else was ever playing so it was always just me having the machine to myself, it was great. The AvP arcade
beat em up is also a lot of fun. Out of the different versions of Alien 3, I like the Snes version the best. Has a decent
soundtrack to it too. Any fans of these?

PsyKore

I think you'll find a lot of fans of these here.

Konami's Aliens is my favourite. Still play through it today from time to time. That game had the most terrific atmosphere and great sequences, like the elevator, entering the Queen's Den, fighting the Queen in the powerloader. I love that game.

XenoZipper

That's good to hear! I absolutely love the older games. I'm more of a retro gamer than I am playing newer games.

I 100% agree with you on the atmosphere of the Konami Aliens game. That's what drew me to it seeing it in the arcade shops
as a kid, walked by & saw the demo vid play & I was blown away that it had screen shots from the movie in it which I think still
look pretty good for what they are. Yea that elevator part has some great music to it. I still play through it as well through emulator
on my laptop. Would be nice if a digital copy was released on the consoles now. Do that one & the beat em up AvP game would be
great too.

Corporal Hicks

I have a Mega Drive hooked up to my TV to play Alien 3. I think we have a ROM pack in the downloads section with all the various older games in.

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2016, 10:11:31 AM
I have a Mega Drive hooked up to my TV to play Alien 3. I think we have a ROM pack in the downloads section with all the various older games in.

Oh that's cool man! Yea I actually didn't mind the Sega Genesis (or Mega Drive in your neck of the woods) version of Alien 3.
It was the exact same as the NES version just updated but still pretty cool with the whole find X amount of prisoners in time
to exit. I have my Wii modded with emulators for every old system so I've got the games on there to play as well.

Actually I still have my copy of the PC game Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure though I've been unsuccessful with getting my computer to run it
for some reason so I haven't played that since the Win98 days haha

Corporal Hicks

I find the older games quite difficult - I struggle to remember the paths to the prisoners. Don't think I ever got past level 3.  :laugh:

Quote from: XenoZipper on Mar 17, 2016, 10:33:18 AM
Actually I still have my copy of the PC game Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure though I've been unsuccessful with getting my computer to run it
for some reason so I haven't played that since the Win98 days haha

There's something called DOS-Box which you should be able to use to load up an image of the CBA. https://archive.org/details/Aliens_-_A_Comic_Book_Adventure_v1.01A_1995_Mindscape
http://www.dosbox.com/

I've not tried it myself yet though I have watched a playthrough of the game on YouTube.

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2016, 10:44:16 AM
I find the older games quite difficult - I struggle to remember the paths to the prisoners. Don't think I ever got past level 3.  :laugh:

Oh I totally agree man, Alien 3 on Genesis is not easy at all even if you play on easy mode! I ended up playing the Snes version more as
I found it slightly a little easier but even that one was still stuff. The only ones I have 0 issues with & can beat almost every single time I play
is the Konami one, the beat em up AvP & AvP on Super Nintendo.

QuoteThere's something called DOS-Box which you should be able to use to load up an image of the CBA. https://archive.org/details/Aliens_-_A_Comic_Book_Adventure_v1.01A_1995_Mindscape
http://www.dosbox.com/

I've not tried it myself yet though I have watched a playthrough of the game on YouTube.

Ah geez I almost forgot about DOS-Box! I used it a few years ago to play the old Warcraft games but didn't even
think of trying it for that. I remember getting to try the game back in the Win98 days & it was... so so. Just set up
kinda weird for gameplay but it's Aliens, had to buy it regardless haha

426Buddy

I was always a big fan of the Konami AvP arcade game, I also had Aliens Win95 comic book adventure but even during its day it was too buggy to really play.

I still own my copies of alien3 and AvP on gameboy lol but they were always terrible games.

Corporal Hicks

426Buddy

what a terrible game lol

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 17, 2016, 02:35:32 PM
I was always a big fan of the Konami AvP arcade game, I also had Aliens Win95 comic book adventure but even during its day it was too buggy to really play.

I still own my copies of alien3 and AvP on gameboy lol but they were always terrible games.

Yea I'm a big fan of the AvP arcade game as well. I really like beat em up style games so it was a thrill to find out
an AvP one was made. I used to have Alien 3 on gameboy as a kid but I never got even close to beating it haha
I do agree it was terrible as was AvP on gameboy. I did like the Super Nintendo AvP though. I guess you could
call that one a Beat em up style game too.

One I actually do want to try after I watched a video was Aliens on Commodore64. I might be awful but still
willing to try it out.

Sorry for the extremely crude style of recording quality but this is a recording I did of
myself playing through the Konami Aliens arcade through my modded Wii. I just set
up a video camera & pointed at the TV but you can hear me talking throughout the whole
thing. I tried doing a Gaming Youtube Channel a few years ago with Bobtendo Power
but I haven't done anything with it for quite a while now. Not sure if I'm going to continue
on with it or not. But yea anyway, here's me playing Konami Aliens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46poLJFBLUI

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've only watched about half of it (I'm at work atm. ssshhh) but you seem to have that one memorized pretty well! Blasted through that loads better than I did! I've got it on my Galaxy Tab through some arcade app. Did I hear rightly in that you played this back in the old school arcades as a kid?

I actually got further into this game than I thought I did!  :laugh:

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 18, 2016, 09:14:55 AM
I've only watched about half of it (I'm at work atm. ssshhh) but you seem to have that one memorized pretty well! Blasted through that loads better than I did! I've got it on my Galaxy Tab through some arcade app. Did I hear rightly in that you played this back in the old school arcades as a kid?

I actually got further into this game than I thought I did!  :laugh:

Yea sorry the vid quality is pretty so so. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to record things a little more properly than just sticking my video camera in front of my tv haha Yea I can say I've spent maybe too much time playing this game :P That's cool you got it on your Galaxy I didn't even know it would have been possible! I've been playing the game mostly through the Mame emulator. Even the arcade emulator I had on my Wii stopped working properly so I no longer can even play Aliens on my main tv it has to be on my laptop now. Glad I recorded this run when I had the chance. I do finish the game but that's because infinite continues haha

And yep I did actually play this game back in the old stand up arcade machine days! ;D There was a mall in the next town over from where I lived as a kid that whenever my parents took me there, I always went straight for this little arcade shop they had set up inside the mall & there was Aliens just sitting off in the corner by itself. Every time I went there no one was ever playing it I never understood why but at the same time didn't complain, I always had the machine to myself even though it would have been nice to have a 2 player game with someone someday haha It was the greatest cabinet to see as a kid. I did get to try out the beat em up AvP in stand up arcade machine too but that was only a 1 time deal when I was on some vacation with my parents but never saw the actual game where I lived.

Corporal Hicks

I do hate I missed out on that era. I'm pretty jealous! lol

I'll have to check the app name when I get home. Might be helpful for folk!

XenoZipper

Yea definitely would be useful if it helps out people getting to play the game as it is pretty fun. I know Mame can sometimes be a pain in the ass to get working properly depending on what version you have. I have an older version of it that doesn't have many probs playing anything but I have had 0 luck with any of the new versions of Mame to work properly. Not really sure why the emulator I had on my Wii crapped out on me but at least it worked long enough for me to record that playthrough haha I however could not get the AvP game to run on it though I have no prob playing it on my laptop just can't record myself playing it that way unfortunately.

Yea living during the arcade shop days was certainly surreal looking back at it for memories. I was there for both the Ninja Turtle arcade games, Simpsons arcade, all that stuff. I spent a lot of time in the arcades as a kid & I'm still a video game junkie to this day haha My youtube channel consists mostly of me playing older NES & Super Nintendo stuff as that era is my forte. I would easily give up the last 10 years to be able to relive those days again haha

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed