Dead Space

Started by fluxcap, Oct 10, 2007, 02:43:40 AM

Author
Dead Space (Read 91,546 times)

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 08, 2021, 04:30:56 AM
But I know that at the time the creators didn't get to do all they wanted with the PS3 era tech for the game.  So if this is their take on a more correct vision, then I'm all for it.
Well, it's not going to be a 'more correct vision' because the original studio isn't behind it. Visceral got forcibly disbanded by EA, and this is a completely different team that's working on the remake.
One of the ex-Visceral members is working on the Callisto Protocol, so arguably that's the continuation of the DS vision.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah correct and I actually believe that the original Dead Space at one point intended to only release on the PC and Xbox 360: https://youtu.be/ob_veQiHliA

And that's why details like this don't exist in later DS entries.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Stitch on Aug 08, 2021, 08:28:51 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 08, 2021, 04:30:56 AM
But I know that at the time the creators didn't get to do all they wanted with the PS3 era tech for the game.  So if this is their take on a more correct vision, then I'm all for it.
Well, it's not going to be a 'more correct vision' because the original studio isn't behind it. Visceral got forcibly disbanded by EA, and this is a completely different team that's working on the remake.
One of the ex-Visceral members is working on the Callisto Protocol, so arguably that's the continuation of the DS vision.

If that is the case, then you have your answer as to why its being made.  It is simply the case of drawing out all the potential money of a franchise while the remake boon is in.

Kind of like the rumored TLOU remake, even though that series is not even a decade old yet. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah that's definitely not happening. lol

tralaritralara

tralaritralara

At the very least hope they increase difficulty by a good margin. The only two issues I saw with Dead Space was that it was too easy, and hand-holding navigation wise. As for the rest I don't get the why for a remake.

More enemy types should be expected too, and more content I hope. Also make the game more dark, something that was fixed in ds2.

They should have continued with the story instead, with the moons now attacking Earth.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I'm not sure that story's got anywhere to go.

I don't particularly care for post apocalyptic stories, that's not what grabs me about the IP, and something that big's likely to be very Hollywood sadly.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: tralaritralara on Aug 09, 2021, 11:29:43 AMThey should have continued with the story instead, with the moons now attacking Earth.
Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 09, 2021, 01:15:55 PM

I don't particularly care for post apocalyptic stories, that's not what grabs me about the IP, and something that big's likely to be very Hollywood sadly.
Yeah, from what I read about the plans for DS4. It kinda sounds like Mad Max, the game, in space. A main storyline, but with open world areas and different ships to scavenge from. Once you start becoming semi-open world, it becomes a lot harder to make things unique, and therefore scary.

When you're scavenging for supplies, and you get surprised by a necromorph once, it's scary. When it's the 50th time, it's not. Sadly, things get repetitive with open world games, simply because you end up with feature creep, but your staff levels aren't big enough to cover it (considering EA's requirements for sales, there's no way a fourth game would have the budget). This means a lot of it feels empty or half baked.

We got some of that with the side missions in DS3, which were very much rinse and repeat, some even having the exact same environments. If that's the way a sequel was going, then I'm glad we didn't get a fourth.

tralaritralara

tralaritralara

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 09, 2021, 01:15:55 PM
Well, to the series closure that has been delayed since. I actually liked what they eventually did with the "convergence" thing, and the "why is space dead". One moon for every advanced species annihilated, or better said, "converged"into one of those giant beings. Now it is Earth turn. Will we survive?, I think it is not that bad of a script for a closure

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 09, 2021, 01:15:55 PMI don't particularly care for post apocalyptic stories, that's not what grabs me about the IP, and something that big's likely to be very Hollywood sadly.
Yeah but you can't also make dead space games like the first and the second all the time. A more direct approach like the third was inevitable (still held the scary factor and loneliness of the two prior games anyway), and yes this forth and last tittle could point in the hollywood approach of a game, but if done well and not heavily scripted like cod then..., I don't see the issue.

And there are other risks you are taking when doing a remaster of a classic that is borderline perfection. The recordings and the voice acting the game features, as well as the "coms" with your partners for instance. In the original the quality of the voice acting and the stuff we see in those pads is..., sublime. Will it be the same or better in the remake?, I very much doubt that, among other things no original member of the old team is left.

There's also the zero gravity jump mechanic which I absolutely adored when in combat and navigating enclosed spaces (and space too outside the ship), and liked it way more than the free flying of the sequels. They have said they want to "update" this with the ds2 and ds3 mechanic removing the zero jump, and that is something I don't agree with in the slightest.

A remake of a game that is already perfect is not a good idea, unless you see it as good $$$ incoming  from a corp perspective of course. The only things ds1 needed imo was to be a lot more difficult specially in plus games, remove the navigation hand-holding, and be darker like ds2-3.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I actually think the original's by far the most mature of the lot honestly.

But yeah to me the cast's absolutely perfect, and that's a point of concern for me, you can't replace Navid Negahban as Challus Mercer for example.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: tralaritralara on Aug 09, 2021, 11:29:43 AM

They should have continued with the story instead, with the moons now attacking Earth.

Nowhere to go from there I'm afraid. Brethren Moons are quite literally gods. The Unitologists have also been attacking EarthGov facilities for months before Dead Space 3 starts. There is no where to run and no way to fight. It's a cynical dark and depressing ending, but it's fitting for Dead Space. It all ends in failure.

tralaritralara

tralaritralara

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 09, 2021, 06:00:58 PM
I actually think the original's by far the most mature of the lot honestly.
Yeah me too.

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 09, 2021, 06:00:58 PMBut yeah to me the cast's absolutely perfect, and that's a point of concern for me, you can't replace Navid Negahban as Challus Mercer for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUTwsDwOf4Y
And don't forget Doctor Terrence Kyne and Captain Mathius (both much better in the animated downfall movie btw), the engineer chief discussing with their adjutant; the survivors... so much good voice acting over there, so much risk to take on this department.

Quote from: The Shuriken on Aug 09, 2021, 06:10:34 PM
There is no where to run and no way to fight. It's a cynical dark and depressing ending, but it's fitting for Dead Space. It all ends in failure.
Yeah pretty much like the alien universe too. It ends in death, always.

And regarding the moons. Yeah they are gods, but we bring one of them down with "The Machine". There's always a chance we can win, but that not be dead space at all I agree.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: tralaritralara on Aug 09, 2021, 06:51:24 PM
And regarding the moons. Yeah they are gods, but we bring one of them down with "The Machine". There's always a chance we can win, but that not be dead space at all I agree.
The machine defeats one by literally colliding it with the planet. If we made a machine like that, it would sacrifice Earth.

Nah, we lost. No way of coming back.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Trash Queen on Aug 09, 2021, 04:58:09 AM
Yeah that's definitely not happening. lol

Have they said otherwise?  All signs in April and May pointed to yes. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

That's beyond f**king ridiculous if so.

I tired of hearing about that mediocrity when it released as a pretty film nearly ten years ago, I don't see what's to remaster, other than the visuals... once again.

tralaritralara

tralaritralara

Quote from: Stitch on Aug 09, 2021, 07:27:13 PMThe machine defeats one by literally colliding it with the planet. If we made a machine like that, it would sacrifice Earth.
Wasn't it via freezing actually?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed