facehuggers as pets.

Started by OpenMaw, Sep 29, 2022, 04:28:14 PM

Author
facehuggers as pets. (Read 2,474 times)

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I think for myself, if I were fortunate enough to have facehugger parasites to use as a bioassay in our lab, I'd be more interested in the xenomorph's chemical ecology as opposed to attempting to remove its ability to deliver the pathogen /embryo. Both Xenomorph XX21 and the pathogen are drawn to non-botanical life, yet they are not drawn to their own. Why? It has been theorised that an ovomorph opens upon detecting movement within close proximity, but again, it doesn't open when a Xenomorph is close, or whilst being moved close to a host by one of its own. It'd be interesting to investigate a potential complex bouquet of pheromones that signals 'xeno'. Consider, XX21 will attack all known biological life, yet they do not attack synthetics (which in many ways mimics a biological creature - when you account for all the possible types of life this parasite may encounter in the universe and the potential diversity, it doesn't see synthetics as having potential) this suggests there's something biological life projects that signals 'prey'.

Imagine if you will, if you could indentify these chemical cues, for example using electrophysiology techniques, to investigate chemoreception in the xeno... You could potentially create a 'chemical mask' to make yourself 'appear xeno' and thus, like a synthetic, would no longer be considered prey 😊

[Side note: this is the kind of work I do on invasive marine species in order to develop integrated pest management techniques, and it works in most organisms - it's always just a case of the laborious task to establish what chemical cues the creature keys in on]

Chieftain Suom

Chieftain Suom

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Mar 24, 2023, 06:39:22 PMI think for myself, if I were fortunate enough to have a facehugger as a bio assay in our lab, I'd be more interested in the xenomorph's chemical ecology as opposed to attempting to remove its ability to deliver the pathogen /embryo. Both Xenomorph XX21 and the pathogen are drawn to non-botanical life, yet they are not drawn to their own. Why? It has been theorised that an ovomorph opens upon detecting movement within close proximity, but again, it doesn't open when a Xenomorph is close, or whilst being moved close to a host by one of its own. It'd be interesting to investigate a potential complex bouquet of pheromones that signals 'xeno'. Consider, XX21 will attack all known biological life, yet they do not attack synthetics (which in many ways mimics a biological creature - when you account for all the possible types of life this parasite may encounter in the universe and the potential diversity, it doesn't see synthetics as having potential) this suggests there's something biological life projects that signals 'prey'.

Imagine if you will, if you could indentify these chemical cues, for example using electrophysiology techniques, to investigate chemoreception in the xeno... You could potentially create a 'chemical mask' to make yourself 'appear xeno' and thus, like a synthetic, would no longer be considered prey 😊

[Side note: this is the kind of work I do on invasive marine species in order to develop integrated pest management techniques, and it works in most organisms - it's always just a case of the laborious task to establish what chemical cues the creature keys in on]

Great idea! For more on this, you should check out the comic Aliens: Hive, where the main character develops a device called an inhibitor that uses pheromones to mask humans from Xenomorph detection. I believe something similar to this was also featured in Infiltrator and of course other similar ideas can be found throughout the EU. Though, I don't know if it's effectiveness ever translated to facehuggers specifically.

Sounds like you're a prime candidate for Weyland-Yutani's bio-weapons division!

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Chieftain Suom on Mar 24, 2023, 07:06:57 PMGreat idea! For more on this, you should check out the comic Aliens: Hive, where the main character develops a device called an inhibitor that uses pheromones to mask humans from Xenomorph detection. I believe something similar to this was also featured in Infiltrator and of course other similar ideas can be found throughout the EU. Though, I don't know if it's effectiveness ever translated to facehuggers specifically.

Sounds like you're a prime candidate for Weyland-Yutani's bio-weapons division!

Thank you for the recommendations! Im only now catching up on much of the expanded media - I'll add 'Hive' and 'Infiltrator' as my next reads after I finish "The Cold Forge' - they sound right up my street!  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed