Alien: Romulus Casts David Jonsson, Archie Renaux, Spike Fearn, and Aileen Wu

Started by Predalien39, Mar 03, 2023, 09:34:45 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Casts David Jonsson, Archie Renaux, Spike Fearn, and Aileen Wu (Read 26,620 times)

TomT

TomT

Still, the worst thing they did to Alien is that once prestige franchise with big budget event movies done by A-list directors is now reduced to direct-to-vod content on streaming, that's the real death of any big franchise, not even a bunch of questionable or outright bad movies, or fully wasted potential.

Stitch

Arguably, it's the only real route available now, because the ideal target demographic isn't interested.

In the current era of prestige TV and premium VOD, Alien might be better off on the small screen, instead of being pit against goliaths in the cinema, such as the MCU.

RIP77

Tomt.

Fox is a streaming platform  with 90% movies en hulo or Disney+ and 10% in cinema.

Adult cinema R Only Hulo.

Commercial movies, high budgets in cinema.

Only premieres in theaters with a small budget independent film and Oscars with limited release

Fox only releases in theaters about two or three a year. Fox Searching two or three too.

PREY was not a direct to dvd it was the same movie as if it were released in theaters just like the new Alien.

This new Alien predates Disney's purchase of Fox.

It is a film with an important director for cinema but Fox after the failure of Covenant blocked it and now the green light thanks to its premiere only on Hulo.

ALL MOVIES  R FOX  ONLY HULO LESS Independient movies and OSCARS. COMERCIAL  MOVIES R  IN CINE ONLY DEADPOOL 3. FOX blockbusters in cine only comercial familiar. ALIEN IN CINE PG13 with 200 budget and director Ant-MAN and productor Disney.

ALien is not movie Dinsey, is Fox but en cinema si DISNEY and Fox loos power.

The president of Fox said that PREY and the new Alien on Hulo could be R, more adult, and not for all audiences.

Asbell, the president of Fox, who recently spoke to THR about the future of 20th Century Studios, said that by making the Alien project for Hulo, there would be no pressure to reduce the potential jitters that could arise with considerations of a theatrical release. "It's not a movie that has to be everything to everyone with those gigantic budgets. They become authentically who they are. And this is closer to its genre roots."

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: TomT on Mar 04, 2023, 07:27:29 PMJust because he can handle a younger cast doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. This IP is not I Know What You Did Last Summer. Do you want to see, let's say, 2001: Space Odyssey sequel as a 90s teen slasher flick?

What about Romulus is painting it as being a "90s teen slasher flick" so far, exactly?

Quote from: TomT on Mar 04, 2023, 07:27:29 PMJust like you could see from a mile away that Paul Fiege's Ghostbusters is gonna be a massive failure even from the basic idea, you could see the same here.

I haven't bothered with a Ghostbsters movie since Ghostbusters 2 (and even that one, I don't think was particularly great), but what was the inherent problem with the "basic idea" of Feig's film, exactly? It just looked like like another Ghostbusters to me, albeit with a new cast. The jokes in the trailer didn't land for me, which is why I didn't bother seeing the movie itself, but on paper there's nothing wrong with the "basic idea" that should have signaled warning signs before the movie even started filming.

If Romulus ends up looking bad once we see some footage (or, at least, know literally anything about the story), then sure, that'd be cause for concern. But right now all we have is a cast without even an idea of who these actors are playing, and no concrete story details other than it (partially) being set on a colony world.

SiL

Quote from: TomT on Mar 04, 2023, 07:53:46 PMStill, the worst thing they did to Alien is that once prestige franchise with big budget event movies done by A-list directors is now reduced to direct-to-vod content on streaming,
Scott, Cameron and Fincher weren't A-listers when they made their films. It was the second movie for Scott and Cameron and first for Fincher.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 04, 2023, 08:01:38 PMArguably, it's the only real route available now, because the ideal target demographic isn't interested.
That's true, but Prometheus did over 400 mln, would've done even better with fully positive reception. So it's not like it was impossible to do good numbers for big budget R-rated sci-fi film, it needed certain variables and it could've done wonders.

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 04, 2023, 08:01:38 PMIn the current era of prestige TV and premium VOD, Alien might be better off on the small screen, instead of being pit against goliaths in the cinema, such as the MCU.
Not better in terms of quality or budgets, because now it became what all wannabe Alien clones were and it's a damn shame. It could have been Star Wars for adults (I don't mean content, I mean popularity) if it wasn't handled by idiots.

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 04, 2023, 08:01:38 PMsuch as the MCU.
Well, about this one, MCU and superhero genre in general is in big decline, Ant-Man might not even do 500 mln worldwide, so it's not a goliath anymore.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 04, 2023, 08:54:45 PM
Quote from: TomT on Mar 04, 2023, 07:53:46 PMStill, the worst thing they did to Alien is that once prestige franchise with big budget event movies done by A-list directors is now reduced to direct-to-vod content on streaming,
Scott, Cameron and Fincher weren't A-listers when they made their films. It was the second movie for Scott and Cameron and first for Fincher.
Scott did The Duellists before Alien which was very well received plus tons of commercials, Cameron did Terminator which was an all-timer before he directed another one with Aliens. But that's true about Fincher though. My comment was more about retrospective of what those directors became after all, even Jean did some amazing stuff with The City of Lost Children and hit an all-timer with Amelie.

I like Evil Dead remake, but the last thing Fede did was that awful reboot of Girl With Dragon Tattoo. It's not like he did a truly amazing debut film and doing Alien right after that, he already directed and produced a bunch of films, he's beyond any promise of what he could become.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 04, 2023, 08:26:30 PMWhat about Romulus is painting it as being a "90s teen slasher flick" so far, exactly?
Cast looks exactly like the one from 90s slasher flicks, in fact even younger. Do you really expect some sophisticated and unique approach with those faces? Alien kinda touched slasher flick with dumb teenagers with AvP: Requiem, this one might be better because of more competent director and because Requiem is that kind of low which is nearly impossible to break further, but it's not gonna be some breath of life for the franchise, just another nail in the coffin.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 04, 2023, 08:26:30 PMbut what was the inherent problem with the "basic idea" of Feig's film, exactly?
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 04, 2023, 08:26:30 PMbut on paper there's nothing wrong with the "basic idea" that should have signaled warning signs before the movie even started filming.
Gender-swapped reboot of a beloved 80s property is a terrible idea, very obviously, it never ever worked, especially when you cast some really unlikable actresses and fill it with poor gender jokes, and push it under the angle that everyone who dislikes it is a misogynist or racist. It was destined to bomb and get terrible reception, it was so obvious even before they started principal photography, one of the most incompetent business decisions I've ever seen. They were supposed to do Ghostbusters 3 before they decided to do a reboot, with old cast training next generation and casting actors like Jonah Hill and Anne Hathaway, that movie would've been successful even if it was average because that's what people actually wanted all this time.

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

What I see in this thread by some reflect the same views I have. We look at the age of the cast and immediately think, slasher film a la Friday the 13th or AvPR(wolf was the best part honestly.) I still hold out hope that this will surprise all of us and be a monumental success like Prey.

In Prey, Naru's journey felt genuine and relatable. Fingers crossed that the cast and director and pull it off and make a bunch of teens and young adults relatable in this movie to those of us in our late 30's and early 40s.

xShadowFoxX

i think we should wait and see. I don't mind the young adult aspect as long as Alvarez can pull it off. I mean, having read Echo again recently, I personally think there's room for a young adult cast provided they keep the cast convincing, and it doesn't feel contrived and... dumb.

Just no black goo or Engineers, please.

Also, if anyone's watched Don't Breathe, that could very easily serve as a template for an Alien film.

TomT

TomT

After my angry rant I want to clarify that I'm not against young adult cast in any movie in general, in fact there are a lot of movies with this kind of cast that I really like, including horror films and coming of age stories. But I strongly believe it's very wrong for this particular franchise and I'm mad they killed or ignored much better projects that had a real chance to be something good and revive the franchise, and instead decided to make this and Howley's show. And I greatly dislike the idea of making Alien cheap direct-to-streaming content instead of big event theatrical release.

There were young adult movies in space like Ender's Game and Voyagers, and all of them were mediocrity, I can't think of a single example were it worked. This franchise deserves so much better than one good movie or game in at least 2 decades. Both Alien and Aliens showed what those movies can be, even Alien 3 and Ressurection had their moments. And it breaks my heart every time to see what they do to it.

Bojo

The period was Prey's strongest and original strength

Performances were passable, dialogue alittle all over the place ( typical hollywood execution of broken English dialogue coupled with out of place contemporary phrases) , somewhat erratic special effects and a narrative that was(structurally) awfully familiar.

Sure the film had some vaguely interesting concepts relating to the Big Bad but only on a cinematic level. Most of the ideas are rather all familiar to Predator fans through other mediums ( novels , comics , games).

Regarding this Directors work ? Ive only watched his Evil Dead movie which was bloody, flat but one lacking in original ideas and ,fundamentally, character. As remakes or retellings go it was all rather pointless though it filled a gap I guess.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The Alien movies are run under Disney now.  To think this is not the route they would've gone with, to cast young adult actors to appeal to their demographic, is not accepting reality.  Disney will follow the formula of what they think an Alien movie should be, just as they followed a formula for Marvel and Star Wars.  Sometimes it land better, sometimes it will land worse. 

Anti corporate wokeness will actually land better in the Alien franchise, since those movies have that history, it won't be some big surprise to throw it in Alien series because it has always been there (even though Disney being a voice for hard times has always been laughable).  To have young an fiery cast portraying the message won't land, because nobody is going to buy a 21 year old tired and anti corporate space tug pilot/colonist/wildcatter being worn and beat down by the man especially when he has them go look at an Alien derelict somewhere.  I'm sure the fact that they should still be in college trying to get a flight license at that age won't occur to Disney because whatever hero they have will be super advanced at everything they do. 

It is what it is.  I think we will get a somewhat more reasonably structured Alienverse now, without Scotts absolutely batshit insane takes and reimagining, but we will also get less "new" or daring.  And we might get too much of everything. 

I'll wait and see.  I can't agree with TomT because he likes Prometheus which already makes his taste suspect and his judgement flawed. 

TomT

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 05, 2023, 05:33:55 AMI'll wait and see.  I can't agree with TomT because he likes Prometheus which already makes his taste suspect and his judgement flawed.
Prometheus is almost great sci-fi film that needed one extra pass on the script to fix dumb stuff and it was also extremely well made and acted. It's not some hot take in any way, in fact it's still the best film in the franchise since Aliens. My taste and judgement are perfectly fine, thank you.

PsyKore

I'm not opposed to young actors. Amber Midthunder was great in Prey; and in the context of the film it made sense and it worked. But with this new Alien film, however, I'm getting "trending" vibes and I feel like I've seen the film already after looking at the young cast. Of course, you gotta be civil and wait and see, but I can't help but roll my eyes a bit.

SiL

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 05, 2023, 05:33:55 AMThe Alien movies are run under Disney now. 
Disney isn't running these productions, no.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 05, 2023, 08:30:10 AMI'm not opposed to young actors. Amber Midthunder was great in Prey; and in the context of the film it made sense and it worked. But with this new Alien film, however, I'm getting "trending" vibes and I feel like I've seen the film already after looking at the young cast. Of course, you gotta be civil and wait and see, but I can't help but roll my eyes a bit.

I hate that I feel this, I am one thousand percent more interested in what Noah Hawley does, even if it is to the chagrin of traditionalist fans.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed