Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film!

Started by MudButt, Mar 04, 2022, 10:06:48 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film! (Read 60,499 times)

MudButt

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/alien-movie-fede-alvarez-20th-century-studios-1235037155/

The director of Don't Breathe & Evil Dead (2013) is directing a standalone Alien film for Hulu! Ridley Scott is on board as a producer.

Some Old Dude

YESSSSSSSSS! I love Fede. Evil Dead and Don't Breathe are brilliant. Not so big on The Girl Who Blah Blah, but it's a well crafted film and Lakeith Steinfeld is great in it.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Evil Dead remake is fun for what it is. Don't Breathe was atrocious.

Don't like the sound of this at all. Ridley Scott is RIGHT there with an unfinished story yet to tell, but even barring him directing, there has to be a more intetesting filmmaker to get to tackle a new Alien movie... :-\

Not thrilled with how Disney is handling this acquisition in the slightest. And bye bye theatrical releases, everything is just streaming content now. Gotta churn it all out!

MudButt

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 04, 2022, 10:16:09 PM
Evil Dead remake is fun for what it is. Don't Breathe was atrocious.

Don't like the sound of this. Ridley Scott is RIGHT there... :-\

Not thrilled with how Disney is handling this acquisition in the slightest. And bye bye theatrical releases, everything is just streaming content now.

Wow ! I am of the opposite opinion on those movies. I really think he knows how to craft some tense set pieces. His Girl With The Dragon movie was pretty bland and the new TCM movie he produced was god awful but he pitched this movie so it's gotta mean a lot to him. That doesn't guarantee a a good movie but he's passionate about it.

It's a shame we won't see this in a theater but at least on streaming they can take some more risks. I hope they put the money behind it and let him make the movie he wants.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm hopeful for the best here, of course. I don't want any of this to fail, I'd love to get a great movie out of it.

But also, Disney monopolizing the industry and then squashing Fox into a factory that churns out "content" for Hulu has been a really bad string of events for film on the whole!

According to sources, Alvarez is a rabid fan of the franchise and casually pitched a take to Scott many years ago. The idea remained implanted in Scott's brain until late last year when he called Alvarez out of the blue and asked him if the younger filmmaker was still up for it. Alvarez didn't have to be asked twice.

I guess this comment is kind of reassuring? Hopefully?

426Buddy

Yeah I'm not happy about this myself. I have only seen Evil Dead and I liked it but there isn't anything there that makes me think he would make a good Alien film. That's not that big of a deal for me, he could surprise me and he is competent for sure.

The real issue is that Alien and Predator are now direct to video franchises, they belong in a theater.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 04, 2022, 10:42:32 PM
The real issue is that Alien and Predator are now direct to video franchises, they belong in a theater.

And not just Alien and Predator, but also, most of Fox 20th Century Studios' slate of films from now 'til the end of time!

:-\

Gentleman Death

Honestly, it would take a lot for me not to be pumped about any new Alien related media. This is no exception!

Voodoo Magic

Quote"Alvarez's take is being kept deep inside the studio's chest, but sources describe it as unconnected to the previous movies."

Yesssssssss!!!

I was just saying this in the forum a few months ago!!  Give me a film outside the current canon. Give me a Joker like Alien film, outside of the DCEU! Bring it back to its horror B-Movie Roots! Be about the Alien, not Synthetics or Engineers! Lower budget like a Tongal film!

WOOT! WOOT!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I don't think "unconnected" here means "outside of canon." Just... not directly a sequel/followup to anything we have right now. No continuing adventures of Ripley or David or Hermit.

Could be wrong, of course, but that's just how I read it. I have no real personal stake in the continuity thing – "canon" or not, a good movie is a good movie and a bad one is a bad one, so that's all really neither here nor there to me.

Nukiemorph

Exciting... just a bummer that it doesn't bode well for prequel resolution, and makes me worry we'll never see another Alien film in theaters again.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 04, 2022, 11:34:03 PM
I don't think "unconnected" here means "outside of canon." Just... not directly a sequel/followup to anything we have right now. No continuing adventures of Ripley or David or Hermit.

Could be wrong, of course, but that's just how I read it. I have no real personal stake in the continuity thing – "canon" or not, a good movie is a good movie and a bad one is a bad one, so that's all really neither here nor there to me.

True, it could mean either way, and we just lean towards our own personal preference. Guess we'll see.

But unconnected in general? Still...

Ohhh yes!!!

Kailem

Kailem

Wow, talk about coming out of nowhere! :o I figured Disney would wait to gauge the interest/success of the TV show before they gave any thought to moving ahead with another movie!

I've not seen his Evil Dead remake or Don't Breathe, but I've heard good things. No doubt this'll be another "stripped down, back to basics" kinda deal like we're apparently getting with Prey.

And this announcement certainly makes it seem as though, like it or loathe it, the future of both Alien and Predator franchises in live-action lies with streaming. I feel like Disney is going to try and turn them into "adult-centric premium franchises" for Disney+ from now on, same as they're treating Star Wars for the broader audience. It's not going to preclude the possibility of ever seeing them on the big screen again, but it's certainly looking like they're going to be turning them into a big draw for their streaming service rather than having any sort of eye on theatrical releases going forward.

St_Eddie

In all honesty, I just can't muster any level of excitement for a new Alien movie at this point and it's such a shame because I have long considered 1979's Alien to be one of my favourite films of all time but with each new iteration/sequel/prequel/reboot, it becomes that little bit less special and with every passing year, my appreciation for even the original masterpiece lessens that little bit more, due to oversaturation and overfamiliarity.

Things will surely only get worse from here on out, now that Disney is in charge of the property. One need only look at how thoroughly they've milked - and continue to milk - the teet of Star Wars (5 movies and countless TV spin-offs in the span of the last 7 years) in order to see what they're gonna do to Alien.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: St_Eddie on Mar 04, 2022, 11:47:55 PM
Things will surely only get worse from here on out, now that Disney is in charge of the property. One need only look at how thoroughly they've milked - and continue to milk - the teet of Star Wars (5 movies and countless TV spin-offs in the span of the last 7 years) in order to see what they're gonna do to Alien.

Actually, I would hope with how they handled the last few SW movies they'll have a better handling in this franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed