Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM

Author
Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel) (Read 72,038 times)

Ultramorph

Thumbed through my copy when it came yesterday.
Spoiler
I like the xeno design when we saw it. WY has definitely been tweaking them. It almost reminded me of the NECA Scorpion xeno.

Also, you were right, Hicks these appear to be different synthetics. I like the design.
[close]

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Just finished issue 4 and although it was action packed, it left us on a pretty epic cliffhanger... Luckily "Rescue" issue one is out in two weeks time. Not sure why Dark Horse didn't just make the whole 8 issue run "Resistance" as opposed to breaking it up into two four issue arcs. Maybe it's like Ultramorph said regarding more people buying the first issue of a series. Fun issue nonetheless even if I was expecting more of a conclusion.

Edit: Turns out the first issue of "Rescue" got pushed back to July 24  :(

Russ840

Sadly I haven't enjoyed this series. I find it boring.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

I enjoyed it initially. But every time an alien comic does the
Spoiler
"guys\gals with infinite ammo mow down armies of aliens" part
[close]
it kinda loses me.

The Cruentus

Bringing back
Spoiler
Bellybursters was a little silly for me, too much of a reminder of Requiem and just like that film there is multiple bellybursters per host. Three in one guy and then the other two kill one of their own.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 09, 2019, 10:35:54 AM
Bringing back
Spoiler
Bellybursters was a little silly for me, too much of a reminder of Requiem and just like that film there is multiple bellybursters per host. Three in one guy and then the other two kill one of their own.
[close]

Yeah, not a fan of that. I don't need the reminders of Requiem.  :-X

That was
Spoiler
a pretty big cliff-hanger. If you look behind them they deployed some sort of device. Maybe the same thing they crashed in? I mean we know Zula has to survive to be in Prototype.
[close]

SM

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 09, 2019, 11:54:10 AM
Bringing back
Spoiler
[close]

That was
Spoiler
a pretty big cliff-hanger. If you look behind them they deployed some sort of device. Maybe the same thing they crashed in? I mean we know Zula has to survive to be in Prototype.
[close]

Spoiler
Correct.  And Prototype is set before this.
[close]

Xiggz456

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 09, 2019, 10:20:39 AM
Spoiler
[close]
it kinda loses me.

Spoiler
Infinite? They literally run out of ammo
[close]

Bringing back
Spoiler
[close]

Thought the same thing
Spoiler
Davis made a quick comment regarding rapidly breeding generations of the xenos which begs the question whether or not we're dealing with "pure" Xenomorphs or something other.
[close]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 09, 2019, 11:54:10 AM
Bringing back
Spoiler
[close]

That was
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
not to mention the blurbs for issues 1-3 of Rescue has already confirmed (spoiled) that both survive.
[close]

The Kurgan

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 09, 2019, 03:14:27 PM
Spoiler
[close]
it kinda loses me.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
A hyperbole. It's more the reduction of the aliens to a swarm of mindless canon fodder getting mowed down full auto that I don't enjoy. 
[close]

Monster Man

Monster Man

Bellybursters from Requiem? Nah, not really. More along the lines of something like this -- https://youtu.be/vMG-LWyNcAs

There's also the added benefit of not being just ordinary Xeno's, genetically tampered and all. Although I figured WY would use them for more practical purposes like y'know finding the cure for cancer and then selling it top dollar. Something that would actually befit a megacorporation instead of mass destruction.

What bugs the hell outta me is this artwork. Almost like the art in that one Fire & Stone comic where the humans are passable but the aliens looked like the artist traced over a buncha NECA figurines.

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 09, 2019, 03:31:46 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 09, 2019, 03:14:27 PM
Spoiler
[close]
it kinda loses me.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
A hyperbole. It's more the reduction of the aliens to a swarm of mindless canon fodder getting mowed down full auto that I don't enjoy. 
[close]

Now here's the conundrum; they either do that or get eated by the horde. This is the inherit problem with making something too formidable, because by all accounts they should've stood no chance, at least with Predator you can blame it on hubris right when the tables get turned. Here it's just kinda eye-rolling because you know the plot demands the characters to survive. I mean hell, when was the last time their acid ever presented a problem for anyone?

Xiggz456

Spoiler
@Kurgan although I don't disagree with you I also don't think it was too over the top in this instance as the horde was all but upon them and they were essentially out of ammo. They were pretty much done for at that moment and would've been if not for the nuke.
[close]

Kradan

Kradan

Just read all 4 issues recently. Meh. It's ... dry, i suppose. There's much of great ideas but i feel none of them really went anywhere. And i think there weren't even great deal of xenomorph encounters in it which upsets me the most.

Whos_Nick

Binged the four issues tonight, it was a decent set up. Probably would've been better if Resistance and Rescue were combined into one series rather than splitting them

426Buddy

426Buddy

Wasn't very impressed with this series. It felt like a rushed setup for another story. It skipped along so fast and it lacked tension and atmosphere. Pretty much lacked any of the good things about defiance. Hopefully the next series (rescue?) Improves on this.

According to tfaw rescue was delayed from 5/22 with no new release date.

Nukiemorph

Dark Horse's website has Rescue #1 listed for July 24th.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3004-097/Aliens-Rescue-1

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed