The Fitness Thread

Started by DoomRulz, Feb 27, 2014, 07:26:32 PM

Author
The Fitness Thread (Read 24,314 times)

Stitch

Stitch

Word to the wise. Running 4 miles and then playing squash for hours makes you hurt.

Stitch

Stitch

Running ten miles also hurts.

Half marathon in under two weeks!

Stitch

Stitch

OK, so I did my half marathon yesterday. 2:37. Hoped to be about 20 minutes quicker, but the weather was crazily hot, way hotter than its been so far this year (way hotter than it is today!).

Didn't help that there was no water station for the last 4 miles or so, which I think was a really bad decision by the organisers.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I spent 9 months overseas and worked on my run because there was nothing better to do.  I'd typically run 5-7 miles and ran a couple of ten milers while there for the lulz.  I like to run because you can kind of shut down your brain and exercise without thinking about it, but after the five mile mark for me I start to get bored doing it. 

I got to where I could run 2 miles in 13:30, 5 miles in 38 minutes, and then would steady off at about 8 minute miles afterwards.  I never really found out what my limit was distance wise, but its over ten miles.  I wasn't running across country here either.  The base I was at had a running lane that went half way around it that was flat so that made my runs faster than typical. 

My main issue with running, despite it eventually getting boring is that it eats your gains if you go to the gym.  Or at least it does me.  So now I typically rotate cardio days with strength training and run no more than 30 mins at a time with about about a ten minute warmup and fifteen minute cooldown of just walking. 

When I was over there the cardio and the heat dropped me down from about 190 to 159.  Which I hadn't been 159 since probably my sophomore year in highschool.  My old sergeant was concerned when I came back from ethiopia to djibouti because I'd done so much cardio and had lost so much weight that you could see the bones in my face.  I had to explain to him that there was nothing wrong there just wasn't shit else to do.  Ethiopia didn't have the track but they had treadmills I'd use everyday so I wouldn't lose my running gains I'd acquired in DJ.  The Ethiopian base didn't even have internet, so there was literally NOTHING else to do once you got off shift. 

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 29, 2023, 05:47:47 AMThe Ethiopian base didn't even have internet, so there was literally NOTHING else to do once you got off shift. 

So basically a case of no entertainment center, no climate control, no video system, no surveillance, no freezers, no f*cking ice cream, no rubbers, no women, no guns?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Bro, it got about Alien 3 levels of bad.  In Ethiopia we shut that camp down so the last month or so we were supposed to live off of MREs.  They stored the MREs in an outside bathhouse that we couldn't use because the water if it got in your eyes could blind you (there was a mobile bath house of US design that ran off a water tank that got packed up and sent, and an inside shower that had the same water as outside but just keep the water out of your eyes).  Anyways, the drain backed up from a sewage failure and shitwater went over the top of the MRES. 

MREs are sealed and were probably fine internally, but there was no way I was going to eat shitwater MREs for anything short of a major world war, a nuclear war, or a zombie invasion. 

So I had a month of nothing but eating blueberry poptarts (one of the reason I got down to 159) as they were the only food that was left over for that month because everything else got eaten already or sent back.  By the end of the month I couldn't eat them without triggering a gag reflex. 

I think I went out to town a couple of times and ate, but I had the day shift and could never leave except when I had a day off.  Ethiopia isn't like the US.  If you aren't out and about during the day when everybody works, then no business is open. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is that where you got desperate enough to play RE6?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

AND Colonial Marines.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

At least NCAA was still thriving back then.  Can you eat blueberry Pop Tarts now?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I haven't had a blueberry poptart in ten years.  I don't think now that it is because of some psychological recall of that time, but rather that chocolate poptarts are superior. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is Ethiopia included in the good old days for you?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I liked Ethiopia, one of my fondest military times, despite the disassociation from technology we are used to here. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed