Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 10, 2019, 12:59:28 PM

Author
Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler (Read 88,756 times)

Voodoo Magic

Right.  :-\

Nightmare Asylum

I still can't believe that cover is real...

The Old One

The Old One

Absolute, total, empathy.

Corporal Hicks

Just ignore it...it wont be visible while we're reading. (Looking on the brightside)

SM

SM

I don't get why people get wound up over covers.  But then I also don't get why people collect steelbook DVD covers either.

SuperiorIronman

I understand that the cover itself isn't a big deal but in including artwork for a cover, it's there to draw a reader in and in some cases suggest what's going on. Bad cover art can be detrimental to a book. That being said I mostly come at this through comics so maybe novels are different though that's just how I perceive it.

I will say that I like it in theory but the framing is awkward. It looks like we're too close to the Alien and so the Alien looks huge. Maybe including an arm or zooming the scene out would be better suited. Muting the metallic color of the helmet would also help given the choice in color. The focus should be on the Alien with our eye leading to the helmet. But the helmet being too bright draws us right to it.

Though one could have just as easily done that shot from AVP where Grid lifts up Chopper and we get the hiss but instead of Chopper its a knight.

The Old One

The Old One

It's an awful cover,
I can't understand defending it. It's basic stuff.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Nov 17, 2019, 08:31:30 PM
I understand that the cover itself isn't a big deal but in including artwork for a cover, it's there to draw a reader in and in some cases suggest what's going on. Bad cover art can be detrimental to a book.

^ This. A good cover attracts your attention in the first instance.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, and if anything that one is repellent.

SM

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2019, 08:51:46 AM
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Nov 17, 2019, 08:31:30 PM
I understand that the cover itself isn't a big deal but in including artwork for a cover, it's there to draw a reader in and in some cases suggest what's going on. Bad cover art can be detrimental to a book.

^ This. A good cover attracts your attention in the first instance.

I don't think I've ever seen an Alien book cover so bad that it would turn off a more casual fan, and the more dedicated fans won't care.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 18, 2019, 09:51:59 AM
You're wrong then, showed it to my Brother and even his reaction was that it looked awful. And he doesn't even care for Alien that much, he's familiar with the first three, but doesn't enjoy the rest- like most of the general public I imagine.

I have to agree. A good or bad cover can sway a casual fan that maybe owns Alien and Aliens on Blu - that's it - from dipping their toe in the EU.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Trying to forget that I'm an Alien nut for a second...

If I saw that in a shop, it would not encourage me to pick it up. For the same reason I don't buy any of those endless Asylum rip-off movies - looking at the art immediately gives you the impression it's probably shit.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

That's truly a horrible cover.

I hope they give it some work.

SM

SM

I guess people really do judge a book by its cover...

The Old One

The Old One

If the book's any good I'm replacing that cover.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed