Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 279,313 times)

Salt The Fries

https://twitter.com/Boxofficindia/status/876392469558067200

Apparently it earned 9.73 M in its second day, that's almost 21 M already, which by the way is half of what Nostromo cost Weyland-Yutani in unadjusted dollars.

Prometheus earned 4.4 M in its opening week.

We're talking about 60 M easily.

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .this is great news. .!. .go covenant!. .that also means that word of mouth must be generally ok!

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 18, 2017, 12:04:49 PM

Apparently it earned 9.73 M in its second day, that's almost 21 M already, which by the way is half of what Nostromo cost Weyland-Yutani in unadjusted dollars.

60 M? No way, Transformers will kill every single movie next week.

4.6M on Sunday.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 18, 2017, 03:27:36 PM

4.6M on Sunday.
I know it will kill. But it ain't out till the 23th. Prometheus earned 34 M in the end...why can't Covvie earn 60 M?

Feeds On Minds

Ugh..I was hoping Covenant would kill any chance of old Scott making more of these.. 
Still got my fingers crossed he's not allowed to do any further damage to the series.

0321recon

0321recon

4.6M on Sunday.

Went up to 7.08 Million for Sunday. 

426Buddy

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on Jun 18, 2017, 04:28:52 PM
Ugh..I was hoping Covenant would kill any chance of old Scott making more of these.. 
Still got my fingers crossed he's not allowed to do any further damage to the series.

After Alien: Resurrection and the AvP films, there really isn't any more damage that could be done imo. I don't mind this new direction, i'de be happy if Scott was allowed to do one more.

0321recon

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 18, 2017, 05:19:36 PM

After Alien: Resurrection and the AvP films, there really isn't any more damage that could be done imo. I don't mind this new direction, i'de be happy if Scott was allowed to do one more.

Agreed. Let Riddles finish his trilogy,

Corporal Hicks

I could do without more of Ridley's prequels but I'd hate to spoil Fox from doing any more Alien films at all.

Protozoid

Something better happened, imo:

It made enough that to series could continue under Scott.

But it also underperformed, and when Fox reads the reviews and comments, they will get the answer to the question of whether Prometheus would have been more successful as a direct Alien prequel. In other words, they overvalued the Alien brand and undervalued Prometheus. Fans seem to be slowly realizing this, also. Imagine if the bombing of Blade Runner was attributed to a lack of xenos and Scott made an immediate follow-up without Deckard but crawling with aliens? You can't recreated a past success. No Star Wars film has outperformed A New Hope. Most franchises trend downwards. And Scott has made four sci-fi movies that were great without being sequels to established franchises. Fox should stop recreating and start creating.

They will rethink the Alien prequel idea, again, which I think is good. Scott, Rothman, and Lindelof were vindicated in their belief that audiences want something fresh. Next time, they should listen to Scott more and hire a screenwriter with a fresh take, like Spaihts and Lindelof had. If (or, imo, when) that movie does better than Covenant, then they have definitive proof that fresh takes reinvigorate franchises and painting by the numbers slowly milks them dry.

Kane's other son

Scott will probably hand over the reigns to someone new and stay on board as a producer.
He'll soon be 80, has a full slate and a big enough ego to not be very content with the lukewarm reception of Covenant. Not to mention that Fox will most definitely demand a lower budget. I guess around $75 million or so.

BishopShouldGo

That won't happen. Ridley has more energy than any do us and will see this as a challenge to make an even better movie. He doesn't back down. Why do you guys always say that! You're here aren't you? We're all superfans. Everyone here should know that Ridley isn't like that by now.

juxtapose

juxtapose

if fox allows scott to make another prequel he will. .his like a dog with a bone. .he won't let go that easily. .he loved making prom and covenant and i for one loved watching them. .

sitting now at 215.0 mil worldwide. .

newagescamartist

Prometheus and Covenant also got pretty decent reviews too so it's not like everyone universally hates those two movies. I think it's easier to get caught up in the negativity when discussing this stuff with hardcore fans. I bet Fox lowers the budget, and Scott will make one more.

gantarat

4.6M on Sunday.

China Watch Doraemon ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed