Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,369 times)

SuicideDoors

Yes, it is a good opening day and it is on track for a $30million weekend there.

Apparently word-of-mouth is really poor so the $10million firday is better than expected.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jun 16, 2017, 04:02:35 PM
Yes, it is a good opening day and it is on track for a $30million weekend there.

Apparently word-of-mouth is really poor so the $10million firday is better than expected.

That's encouraging then. 30 mil would be a great start

juxtapose

i hope if this weekend does well it will have some legs in  china. .so glad it is of to a good start. .i thouight with the cuts it would be lucky if it made 10 mil tops over it's entire run. .now lets hope it's . BIG IN JAPAN!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

It's quite good. Might even do similar numbers as Prometheus. The only problem with China box office money is that the studio actually gets very little of it. It's not a 50/50 split.

juxtapose

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 16, 2017, 04:36:31 PM
It's quite good. Might even do similar numbers as Prometheus. The only problem with China box office money is that the studio actually gets very little of it. It's not a 50/50 split.
. .i know it's like 25 to 30 percent or something like that. .but it saved pacific rim wich has now gotten a sequel in the works. .i would never understand why that movie performed so badly in the states. . I thought it was ten times better than those transformer movies and the beasts was so cool. .same with kong skull island. .considering the cost it underperformed. .but still i thought it was spectacular. .loved the soundtrack as well!. .and it was way better than jurassic world. .in every regard. .yet according to the box office. .it was'nt. .wtf is up with audiences these days?

Ingwar

$10 milllion in one day. Great news? No. It's bloody great news.

@juxtapose

I love Parific Rim. Great movie. It's too bad it didn't do well at box office. Transformers franchise is full of ...

Kane's other son

Hollywood is currently renogotiating its deal with China, in order to get more money, so establishing a foothold there is a huge win.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 16, 2017, 04:36:31 PM

It's much better that Prometheus in his first week.

Date(Weeks)                   Gross(M)   Total Gross
12-09-17 - 12-09-23 (3)   $4.9        $34.0
12-09-10 - 12-09-16 (2)   $9.3        $29.0
12-09-03 - 12-09-09 (1)   $15.3      $19.7
12-08-27 - 12-09-02 (0)   $4.4         $4.4

Kane's other son

The chinese market is bigger now than it was back in 2012. Covenant will end up with $50-60 million.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Kane's other son on Jun 16, 2017, 06:19:42 PM
The chinese market is bigger now than it was back in 2012. Covenant will end up with $50-60 million.

I hope. It's got a good start but Prometheus was 3D and it wasn't butchered by censorship as Covenant. Besides Transformers will slaughter all next week.

QuoteAnd here we are, yet again, with a somewhat disappointing genre offering hoping against hope that China will pull them out of the fire. Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant opened with a pretty decent $11.2 million yesterday, including online ticketing fees and including $750,000 from midnight previews. The 20th Century Fox release, which cost a fiscally reasonable $97m (Prometheus cost $130m in 2012), sputtered out pretty quickly in North America, earning $36m over its debut weekend and just $72m as it enters its fifth weekend with a likely under-$1m Fri-Sun frame. That's lower than what the original Alien made ($78m) way back in 1979.

The picture has done a little better overseas, with (including yesterday's China launch) $122 million thus far for a current $194m worldwide total not including whatever it made overseas between Monday and Thursday. So, yeah, it's probably over $200m worldwide and may be at around $215-$220m by Sunday. It won't come anywhere near the $405m earned by Prometheus five years ago. An over/under $250m worldwide cume for an R-rated horror movie is nothing to snark at, even if Fox was arguably hoping for something better. This is a longer conversation for another day, but I still maintain that Prometheus: Covenant (or just Covenant) would have been a better sell.

Alien is a franchise that has been around but hasn't been a huge deal since Aliens in 1986. Sure, it's still the biggest horror franchise of all time with $1.454 billion worldwide over eight movies (yes, counting the Alien vs. Predator films), but this isn't a great result and I imagine some hard questions will be asked about where the franchise goes next, or if it goes anywhere at all. I say this a lot, but it is entirely okay to allow one of these old-school franchises to die a natural death just because the time has come. But I digress.

We're probably looking at a $30 million opening weekend in China. There aren't a ton of options for Chinese horror fans, which partially explains why Resident Evil: The Final Chapter and The Mummy relatively broke out. But the film is heavily edited, with much of the violence/gore removed, and audiences aren't thrilled about that. At this juncture, a $60m total would be a gift, especially with Transformers: The Last Knight set to make $60m in its first minute in China (slight exaggeration) next week. Alien: Covenant is not a flop, but it's not really a hit either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/06/16/china-box-office-alien-covenant-nabs-11m-friday-tom-cruises-the-mummy-drops-85/#2ed92842764d

juxtapose

. .from what i heard. .prom was even more butchered. .the scenes suffering the most was the medpod scene. .the end scene with the engineer versus the ovegrown facehugger, the fifield monster attack..the milburn and fifield misadventure with the spacecobra/hammerpede. .etc.
. .that was what one chinese memeber said on these board a while back. .before the 19th of may. .but i can't remember in which thread. .?

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 16, 2017, 06:24:13 PM
Quote from: Kane's other son on Jun 16, 2017, 06:19:42 PM

I hope. It's got a good start but Prometheus was 3D and it wasn't butchered by censorship as Covenant. Besides Transformers will slaughter all next week.

QuoteAnd here we are, yet again, with a somewhat disappointing genre offering hoping against hope that China will pull them out of the fire. Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant opened with a pretty decent $11.2 million yesterday, including online ticketing fees and including $750,000 from midnight previews. The 20th Century Fox release, which cost a fiscally reasonable $97m (Prometheus cost $130m in 2012), sputtered out pretty quickly in North America, earning $36m over its debut weekend and just $72m as it enters its fifth weekend with a likely under-$1m Fri-Sun frame. That's lower than what the original Alien made ($78m) way back in 1979.

The picture has done a little better overseas, with (including yesterday's China launch) $122 million thus far for a current $194m worldwide total not including whatever it made overseas between Monday and Thursday. So, yeah, it's probably over $200m worldwide and may be at around $215-$220m by Sunday. It won't come anywhere near the $405m earned by Prometheus five years ago. An over/under $250m worldwide cume for an R-rated horror movie is nothing to snark at, even if Fox was arguably hoping for something better. This is a longer conversation for another day, but I still maintain that Prometheus: Covenant (or just Covenant) would have been a better sell.

Alien is a franchise that has been around but hasn't been a huge deal since Aliens in 1986. Sure, it's still the biggest horror franchise of all time with $1.454 billion worldwide over eight movies (yes, counting the Alien vs. Predator films), but this isn't a great result and I imagine some hard questions will be asked about where the franchise goes next, or if it goes anywhere at all. I say this a lot, but it is entirely okay to allow one of these old-school franchises to die a natural death just because the time has come. But I digress.

We're probably looking at a $30 million opening weekend in China. There aren't a ton of options for Chinese horror fans, which partially explains why Resident Evil: The Final Chapter and The Mummy relatively broke out. But the film is heavily edited, with much of the violence/gore removed, and audiences aren't thrilled about that. At this juncture, a $60m total would be a gift, especially with Transformers: The Last Knight set to make $60m in its first minute in China (slight exaggeration) next week. Alien: Covenant is not a flop, but it's not really a hit either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/06/16/china-box-office-alien-covenant-nabs-11m-friday-tom-cruises-the-mummy-drops-85/#2ed92842764d

Well then, I guess we're stuck with what's effectively a "Shrodinger's-edition" origin story. Perhaps for the best. The debate will continue and the franchise still maintains (somewhat of) a semblance of the original's genre-defining mysteriousness...

Ingwar

It still might do $40-50. Maybe even $60. Fingers crossed.

Denton Smalls

It would be ironic if the version of the latest Alien movie that makes the most money is the version where it's not an Alien movie.  :P

Ulm

Ulm

I guess the Chinese don't mind Katherine Waterston's hairstyle?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed