Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time.

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 06, 2019, 03:43:04 PM

Author
Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time. (Read 47,354 times)

Wweyland

Quote from: Heaven Piercing Man on Mar 14, 2023, 02:44:37 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 05, 2022, 01:25:16 AMSo, I always found 57 years gap between events of Alien and Aliens to be weird. Why 57 years ? Why not 50, why not 100 ? It's usually a rounded number in movies, so why 57 years ?

And suddenly I remembered something: Alien takes place in 2122, 2122 plus 57 equals 2179, right ? 2179, huh ? Can it be a slight nod towards original movie's release year - 1979 ?

It's the other way around. We're never told anything about dates in Alien, and maybe the only clue would be Cobb's Semiotic Standard having the year 2078 on it. But Aliens takes place 57 years later and only then we're told it takes place in a year ending in 79 when Ripley says the date of Burke's message to the colony: "Directive dated 6-12-79, signed Burke, Carter J."

From there, if we assume 79 means 2179, you just substract 57 and you get 2122. I guess Cameron chose '79 to give a shout out to the first movie's release year.

I love that the 2179 date has been generally adapted in both movies and EU. Although the "original EU" was a 100 years too early I think.

The Cruentus

Sorry about the necropost here but after watching Aliens in 4k, I noticed two things I didn't before.

One is that when Vasquez kills the Alien she pinned with her foot, the leg that actually gets burnt by acid is not the one she is using to pin the creature. I always thought it was that due to the closeness it had to the bullet entries.

When Ripley is threatening the eggs by firing the flamethrower into the air, you can see a gap in the Queen's neck and the mechanical structure inside is visible.

BlueMarsalis79

That white piece of mechanics has bothered me for years.

The Cruentus

I'm surprised I never noticed it before since its probably the film I have seen the most out the franchise.

E. Shaw

I just noticed the Neomorphs in Covenant do bleed white and so that theory they are synthetic seems plausible since David made them.

[cancerblack]

E. Shaw

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 30, 2024, 05:36:43 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 30, 2024, 02:08:44 AMthat theory they are synthetic

What?

Yeah someone claimed the Neomorph is synthetic, hence it bleeds white blood like synths.

[cancerblack]

I've never once come across that tbh.

SiL

And David didn't make the neomorphs.

E. Shaw

Quote from: SiL on Mar 30, 2024, 08:10:15 PMAnd David didn't make the neomorphs.

Actually he said he did, that he began cross breeding and creating hybrid forms.

Oran: You created these things David?
David: Idle hands are the devil's workshop. 

SiL

Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 30, 2024, 08:35:45 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 30, 2024, 08:10:15 PMAnd David didn't make the neomorphs.

Actually he said he did, that he began cross breeding and creating hybrid forms.

David's creations are in his lab. His end result was the xenomorph. The neomorphs are made from spores left in the wild.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: SiL on Mar 30, 2024, 09:04:20 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 30, 2024, 08:35:45 PM

David's creations are in his lab. His end result was the xenomorph. The neomorphs are made from spores left in the wild.

It clearly shows in David's workshop Proto-Neomorphs and Oran asks if David made them, and David says yes, and then shows Oran his successes.

SiL

Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 30, 2024, 09:08:49 PMIt clearly shows in David's workshop Proto-Neomorphs and Oran asks if David made them, and David says yes, and then shows Oran his successes.
There are also skinned Engineers in the lab, David clearly didn't make them either. David was dissecting and examining different things, but his creation work starts from the insects. There are proto face huggers on the table that David did make.

E. Shaw

Quote from: SiL on Mar 30, 2024, 09:14:53 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 30, 2024, 09:08:49 PMIt clearly shows in David's workshop Proto-Neomorphs and Oran asks if David made them, and David says yes, and then shows Oran his successes.
There are also skinned Engineers in the lab, David clearly didn't make them either. David was dissecting and examining different things, but his creation work starts from the insects. There are proto face huggers on the table that David did make.

Interesting take. I interpreted he made the Neomorph, but it still was not perfect like The Xenomorph.

426Buddy

426Buddy

The neomorphs came from the goo unleashed on the planet by David. He uses them in his creation of the Alien. The goo infected some organism or fungus and resulted in that mutation.

David experiments using various goo creatures (including the neomorphs), the black goo itself, and Shaw to make the Alien as we know it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed