Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 71,047 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Cold Forge and Phalanx seem to have created their own mini-continuity, referencing only each other, Isolation, and the films; maybe just keep those?

j0nesy

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jul 21, 2020, 05:07:49 PM
It doesn't. I'm only questioning if the reboot will include some of the novels as they tie into some of the newer comics. Specifically "Prototype" which came out last year and has Zula as the main character.

zula, and to a lesser extent, olivia shipp

lightsyder

lightsyder

Comixology has all the Alien, AvP and Predator comics 50% off currently.  Looks like I'll be finishing my Dark Horse collection earlier than i anticipated.

chopperXgill

Quote from: lightsyder on Jul 21, 2020, 07:56:54 PM
Comixology has all the Alien, AvP and Predator comics 50% currently.  Looks like I'll be finishing my Dark Horse collection earlier than i anticipated.

Wow!!! Thank you for the heads up, now I'm definitely purchasing some comics today

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Okay, I finally listened to the podcast - I watched the video actually.

A few notes:

I enjoyed the podcast, but once in a while it was a bit too all over the place at times, at least for my taste, where it made my head spin a little bit. But still, overall, very good work guys! :)

Too much optimism. I wanted to hear more Alien & Predator is leaving Dark Horse sadness!  I wanted someone to represent my pain!  ;D

Marvel has the Icon label imprint that is totally hardcore. I've been a big Marvel reader for much of my life,  and when I read Icon's Painkiller Jane series, it was laced with curses, nudity, sex and blood and guts.

I didn't love the full on reboot Paul was pushing initially. I can see it would be easier for new fans, true. And it's likely an easier pill to swallow for Paul who's generally new to Darkhorse A&P EU lore and subsequently not as deeply invested yet as us older fans... the logic is sound but I think there's a way to still invite new fans to an existing canon without alienating the old ones. Predator: Hunters is a perfect example of that. I know someone who's even really enjoying it as much as me and had no idea there were reoccurring characters.

And finally, RidgeTop, my AvP Requiem brother, a few of us actually like Chris Claremont's Aliens Predator: Deadliest of the Species! So give it a shot, you might like it! :)

Thats all I got. Great job guys!

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 22, 2020, 12:40:00 AM
And finally, RidgeTop, my AvP Requiem brother, a few of us actually like Chris Claremont's Aliens Predator: Deadliest of the Species! So give it a shot, you might like it! :)

I imagine that story would be a little more palatable for Predator fans if only because it actually features a f**king Predator in it.

There's Aliens for like three pages on issue 3 and the rest is gold-plated or albino jousting hybrids or a God-damned Queen that decides to be pally with the rest of the team because f**k you, that's why or that human Predator Alien hybrid at the end.

God I hate that book so much.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jul 22, 2020, 04:21:02 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 22, 2020, 12:40:00 AM

I imagine that story would be a little more palatable for Predator fans if only because it actually features a f**king Predator in it.

There's Aliens for like three pages on issue 3 and the rest is gold-plated or albino jousting hybrids or a God-damned Queen that decides to be pally with the rest of the team because f**k you, that's why or that human Predator Alien hybrid at the end.

God I hate that book so much.

So it's a SiL recommend?

SiL

If you found the two panels of blue banana shaped blobs in issue 4 of AvPvT a satisfying Alien experience, DOTS is 10/10.

j0nesy

i'm going to step in here and say that i'm also not a fan of dots; sorry, voodoo!

Tichinde

Never read Turnabout, I assume it's very good, but doesn't one of the stories involve multiple predators hunting bears... with a plasma caster... from a distance? Guess that whole equaling your opponents in available weapons thing is gone now  >:(

SiL

That's almost never been an actual thing.

I mean they shoot Aliens a lot.

SM

They shoot people a lot and all.  While they're invisible.

But modern hunters hunt animals that can't shoot back, and that's what Predator is based so I'm not sure if there ever was a "equaling your opponents in available weapons thing".  All there is, is not blasting someone who is unarmed.

Tichinde

Quote from: SM on Jul 22, 2020, 06:09:04 AM
They shoot people a lot and all.  While they're invisible.

But modern hunters hunt animals that can't shoot back, and that's what Predator is based so I'm not sure if there ever was a "equaling your opponents in available weapons thing".  All there is, is not blasting someone who is unarmed.

I think you are right, I may have been spoiled by machikos trilogy of novels where they are described as fighting worthy enemies with the same kind of weapons they possess unless in like "wartime situations" like when they enter a hive. The Youngbloods are allowed to just shoot everything but blooded and veterans hold themselves to a higher standard according to those books anyway.

And just to be clear there are a few examples of what I was talking about. For instance, the Jungle Hunter disarms himself of his plasma caster and takes off his biomask and fights Dutch in h2h. Wolf (for some reason) decides to disarm himself taking off his mines, leaving his spear, and once again taking off the biomask. A predator from the comic "Strange Roux" actually stabs himself in the arm to even the odds against his foe who was injured in his right arm. Celtic attempts to fight the Grid Alien with only his wristblades and fists even though his spear wasn't far away (though this might just be a movie convenient thing.) In the horrible comic Predator: Primal after an initial engagement with a bear ironically enough a warrior comes to fight it hand to hand in the comic's finale. I assumed it was part of the blooded warrior's culture to "fight fair" or as fair as they deem it so anyway.

Either way, I suppose it's a relatively minor pet peeve, i will be checking these books out either way  :)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Tichinde on Jul 22, 2020, 06:31:14 AM
For instance, the Jungle Hunter disarms himself of his plasma caster and takes off his biomask and fights Dutch in h2h.
He also shoots Poncho in the head after he had a tree crush his chest :P

QuoteWolf (for some reason) decides to disarm himself taking off his mines, leaving his spear, and once again taking off the biomask.
After shooting Aliens almost the entire rest of the film.

QuoteCeltic attempts to fight the Grid Alien with only his wristblades and fists even though his spear wasn't far away (though this might just be a movie convenient thing.)
His spear was buried in the stone and it probably would've taken too long to get it with an Alien trying to kill him.

Interestingly I'm pretty sure Steve Perry wrote both AvP Prey and Turnabout.

Xiggz456

@Voodoo ya I agree that the Predator side of things doesn't really need to be rebooted as the majority of stories are stand alone and really have no affect on one another. I'd actually be pretty bummed if they went the reboot route with Predator.

@Tichinde the Predators face off the bears with only their wrist blades in "Turnabout" however in "Primal" the Pred does indeed shoot a bear.

@Sil yes you are correct that Steve Perry wrote both "Prey" and "Turnabout".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed