Just saw it in the theater. I liked it a lot! It takes a few turns I didn’t expect but overall it’s a good time.
I’ll list a few cons..
- The pacing in the second act can drag a bit. Attempts to show some characters ‘’bonding’’ feel forced.
- The heist element isn’t as strong as promoted.
- Some CG was a bit SyFy channel level..
Now for the PROS !!!
- Cast gives their all despite some not getting much development
- Zombie killing doesn’t disappoint, especially in the 3rd act.
- Blood n Gore is fun!
- Some good jokes
- Opening 20 minutes rules
Bautista and Samantha Win have standout action scenes in particular.
Is it just plain fun or is there more serious/emotional sequences ? Like when some characters die, is there heroic sacrifices or stuff like that ? That's what I quite like in those kind of movies.
And is the gore just fun silly gore a la The Predator, or is it sometimes really brutal ?
Snyder definitely puts in some serious/emotional moments. They don’t always work but a few times it does work and you feel for the characters. Unfortunately not all of them are developed enough so you don’t fully feel the intention.
There are a few characters deaths that really work. A couple are just fun/quick but I can point out 2 deaths that really shocked me and 1 that actually made me feel bad.
There is a combination of silly gore and also really brutal. He takes the kills seriously. I’d say the zombies get the silly-shock deaths a few times and the humans mainly get serious deaths save for 1 or 2 characters.