Tenet - Formerly Untitled Christopher Nolan Film (release date: July 17, 2020)

Started by ace3g, Jan 26, 2019, 12:55:09 AM

Author
Tenet - Formerly Untitled Christopher Nolan Film (release date: July 17, 2020) (Read 6,200 times)

Ingwar

Whiskeybrewer

Definitely a film that needs a few watches

Nightmare Asylum

This was playing at the local drive-in last night, and while the covid numbers in my state still have me incredibly reluctant to step foot in a movie theater, I figured seeing it from inside my car would be a better way to go. Gotta say, this one really didn't do much for me, unfortunately. I've never been one of those obsessive Nolan fans, but I do like most of his films. This one just didn't leave much of a lasting impression.

Gazz

I have a lot of love for Nolan and would consider myself a fan of his work, but ultimately Tenet didn't work for me either. Although I felt the concept was neat and attention grabbing, I think Nolan lost himself in the intricacies of the world building. By the final act I found I just kinda didn't care anymore. The film had beat it out of me.

KiramidHead

I like the movie, but it's very much a showcase of the inversion stuff than a plot.

Rush Hour Rambo

It's cleverness translated to me as boredom and disconnection from caring one jot about what was going on - because I didn't have a clue what actually was going on.

Well made and all the rest of it but I found it to be a major let down and it puzzles me to see so many five star reviews, it's never a five star movie in a hundred years.

Someone needs to give Nolan a shake and tell him genius is simplicity. I admire his search for originality but he's disappeared off the edge of the map with this one.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

it was OK, nothing amazing or groundbreaking, but it was fun I guess.

bb-15

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Sep 13, 2020, 01:30:11 PM
Definitely a film that needs a few watches

Agreed. Tenet is like a puzzle video game like Myst or a murder mystery movie/game like Clue.
Even after a viewer has the answer for the mystery of Tenet, to understand the pieces of the puzzle requires watching it again and picking out the clues.

** But important suggestion; watch it at home and turn on the subtitles. Lots of the dialogue is covered by noise.

;)

SiL

I heard the dialogue just fine in my theater.

None of it made much sense. It felt like everyone was just talking in cliches at each half the time

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SiL on Apr 22, 2021, 04:08:49 AM
I heard the dialogue just fine in my theater.

None of it made much sense. It felt like everyone was just talking in cliches at each half the time

I saw it back in September in a drive in, so I was getting the audio out of my car speakers, and had basically the same experience. I heard the dialogue, but I never quite got it. And it wasn't even the time inversion stuff that tripped me up; that was all fine for the most part. It was the general movement of the plot, the way the characters spoke about moving from event to event and location to location, that just felt overly dense to me.

SiL

It honestly felt like Nolan hit up a Random Action Movie Dialogue Generator and just pasted it into the script, then drowned it in noise.

Like the inversion stuff is all straightforward. Some shit goes backwards in time. Got it. It was just people ... conversing that seemed like it was needly obtuse.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed