Tenet - Formerly Untitled Christopher Nolan Film (release date: July 17, 2020)

Started by ace3g, Jan 26, 2019, 12:55:09 AM

Author
Tenet - Formerly Untitled Christopher Nolan Film (release date: July 17, 2020) (Read 6,248 times)

BigDaddyJohn

I quite liked it, even with how convoluted and self indulgent it is. I mostly loved the relationship between the two main characters, I find their story very touching.

TC

Quote from: bb-15 on Apr 22, 2021, 12:08:04 AM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Sep 13, 2020, 01:30:11 PM
Definitely a film that needs a few watches

Agreed. Tenet is like a puzzle video game like Myst or a murder mystery movie/game like Clue.
Even after a viewer has the answer for the mystery of Tenet, to understand the pieces of the puzzle requires watching it again and picking out the clues.

** But important suggestion; watch it at home and turn on the subtitles. Lots of the dialogue is covered by noise.

;)

Finally got to see this. And I agree with everything bb-15 said. If you enjoy puzzles then this is the film for you.

I enjoy a bit of viewer effort in working out the plot kinks in the right kind of mystery film, but most of the time I like to immerse myself in characters who make me feel something. I felt nothing for the people in this story. I get that Nolan tried to build some emotional content into Elizabeth Debicki's predicament with arch villain Kenneth Branagh, but it was completely overshadowed by the twisty narrative. The Prestige combined character and complexity of plot very well. This one -- not so much.

I feel like this is a good example of a story that would have been better served as a limited streaming series. Instead of jamming so much into its 2 hr feature film length, 8 x 1hr episodes would have given us better paced, more careful exposition.

(OTOH I also watched Alex Garland's Devs the other week. Now there's an example of a series that would have been better off compressed into a shorter 2hr movie.)

On the whole, though, I feel like as the years go by appreciation of Tenet and the audacity of its storytelling will only increase.

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed