Predator: Eyes of the Demon Anthology in 2022

Started by felix, Nov 03, 2021, 10:30:56 PM

Author
Predator: Eyes of the Demon Anthology in 2022 (Read 32,305 times)

Corporal Hicks

Aye. The Predator in this one had a history hunting
Spoiler
some native fauna on the Arcturian planet.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2023, 06:34:24 AMAye. The Predator in this one had a history hunting
Spoiler
[close]

Huh, unexpected but interesting that they'd go that route here. Though it is Briggs, and he obviously has an interest in AVP given his original script... (light Alien RPG spoilers in the tag):

Spoiler
Does the fauna overlap with what was seen in "Operation: Arcturian Apocalypse" from the Colonial Marines RPG book? The apes and whatnot?
[close]

Corporal Hicks

No, they weren't depicted like that. They were called Arcturian Sickleridges. Their appearances weren't really dived into, but they seemed to be some sort of birds of prey.

Spoiler
"All the while, the Sickleridge brood squabbled viciously for the right to hammer their scythe-edged beaks over and over into R'Hyn, visible just above. Draining him of his life."
[close]

Some Old Dude

I've read the first two shorts. Absolutely loved the first one on the space station and the second one is very inspired. Half way through the Dutch one now and I'm wondering why that's not a full length novel? Surely Titan Books would make more money off giving us novels following Dutch than shoehorning Wierzbowski's brother in law into the next Alien novel.

Corporal Hicks

I think the lawsuit really messed up a lot of options for companies and we still don't really know the ramifications of the settlement. But that's the kind of feedback that Titan needs to be hearing. I'm sure Brian would love to write a full length novel dealing with Dutch.

Some Old Dude

Read Proving Ground, I'm very mixed on it. I don't like anthropomorphising Predators, they always end up written like Klingons and it's lame. But once the action hits Brazil it became a fun survival story.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 19, 2023, 07:22:50 AMI think the lawsuit really messed up a lot of options for companies and we still don't really know the ramifications of the settlement.

What lawsuit? I was never aware there was some kind of legal drama over the publishing?  Was it a Disney/fox acquisition thing?

QuoteBut that's the kind of feedback that Titan needs to be hearing. I'm sure Brian would love to write a full length novel dealing with Dutch.

I would love to let Titan know I'm less interested in Dietrich's divorce lawyer's cousin's godmother and more interested in either original characters or ones we can believably see more adventures with like Dutch, or Harrigan, or Naru, or Royce and Isabel, hell even Quinn McKenna. I get that Alien is the bigger IP but Predator has more open possibilities with established characters. Do they have feelers on this forum?

SiL

The Thomas brothers wanted to revoke the rights to the script for the first movie to negotiate a new agreement (as was their right under US copyright law) which would've had major implications for how to exploit the IP.

Disney dragged their feet on a resolution until the 11th hour when a settlement was made.

Some Old Dude

Oh right the Thomas Bros lawsuit my mind totally slipped there. I assumed Dutch, Keyes and Garber showing up in a 2023 publication meant it was all good to go in that regard.

Wweyland

Quote from: Some Old Dude on May 20, 2023, 09:37:45 AMRead Proving Ground, I'm very mixed on it. I don't like anthropomorphising Predators, they always end up written like Klingons and it's lame. But once the action hits Brazil it became a fun survival story.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 19, 2023, 07:22:50 AMI think the lawsuit really messed up a lot of options for companies and we still don't really know the ramifications of the settlement.

What lawsuit? I was never aware there was some kind of legal drama over the publishing?  Was it a Disney/fox acquisition thing?

QuoteBut that's the kind of feedback that Titan needs to be hearing. I'm sure Brian would love to write a full length novel dealing with Dutch.

I would love to let Titan know I'm less interested in Dietrich's divorce lawyer's cousin's godmother and more interested in either original characters or ones we can believably see more adventures with like Dutch, or Harrigan, or Naru, or Royce and Isabel, hell even Quinn McKenna. I get that Alien is the bigger IP but Predator has more open possibilities with established characters. Do they have feelers on this forum?
I'm with you on this one.

Some Old Dude

Lion of the Himalayas was absolutely superb. Right on par with The Titans and Aftermath, these shorts alone made the whole book worth it.

Nelostic

Nelostic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2023, 06:34:24 AMAye. The Predator in this one had a history hunting
Spoiler
[close]

Need Battle
Arcturian vs Amengi

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.
Spoiler
As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.
[close]

Wweyland

Did the Amengi learn to fight this time?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've been re-reading (relistening?) to Eyes of the Demon. Short list of what I think so far.

Good
The Titans
Aftermath
Lion of the Himalayas (very good)
The Fix Is In (I actually really like this one, but recognize it's not very Predator heavy)
Bitter Hunt
Little Miss Nightmare
The Monster
Ghost Story

OK
Proving Ground
Cannon Fodder
The Trophy

Poor
The Distance in Their Eyes
Field Trip

Field Trip actually started much better than I remembered, then it goes off the rails. I think both Distance and Field Trip waste their concepts. There's something really interesting in there but not in these shorts. 

Blackdawn

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 12, 2023, 07:59:06 AMI've been re-reading (relistening?) to Eyes of the Demon. Short list of what I think so far.

Good
The Titans
Aftermath
Lion of the Himalayas (very good)
The Fix Is In (I actually really like this one, but recognize it's not very Predator heavy)
Bitter Hunt

OK
Proving Ground

Poor
The Distance in Their Eyes
Field Trip

Field Trip actually started much better than I remembered, then it goes off the rails. I think both Distance and Field Trip waste their concepts. There's something really interesting in there but not in these shorts. 

Field trip had potential. I heard about Field Trip and was stoked about reading it. Finally got the book, I look for that one, find it and I'm so excited. It's so good, then...
What the...
Son of a...
I have a Predator fic I'm writing right now with a pregnant female Predator and is way better than that.

Wweyland

I would agree that Lion of the Himalayas was the best one, but perhaps tied with Little Miss Nightmare.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed