Predator: Eyes of the Demon Anthology in 2022

Started by felix, Nov 03, 2021, 10:30:56 PM

Author
Predator: Eyes of the Demon Anthology in 2022 (Read 33,618 times)

Wweyland

Good time for release. I wonder if there are many historical stories or tie-ins with the movies.

Wompdonkey

Quote from: Some Old Dude on May 08, 2022, 01:50:20 AMThere's a Dutch story? Fingers crossed Audible get Arnold in to read it.

Yeah that's not gonna happen.

Wweyland

I hope the Dutch story ties into Staling Shadows and Hunting Grounds

Wompdonkey

Does anybody have favorites from the stories yet? I'm gonna start the book tomorrow and I'm curious which stories people have liked or disliked. I'm gonna read the whole thing, but is there one in particular I should start with. Scott Sigler's jumps to mind but it is the last one in the book so I might save that.

Wweyland

Can anyone share the story list? Titles/Authors

Wompdonkey

Quote from: Wweyland on Aug 12, 2022, 10:13:20 PMCan anyone share the story list? Titles/Authors

Best I can do is get it to you tonight. I'd be happy to put a list of the stories on this forum. Might make it easier to talk about them

Agent Aztlan

Agent Aztlan

Quote from: Wweyland on Aug 12, 2022, 10:13:20 PMCan anyone share the story list? Titles/Authors

The Titans, by  Tim Lebbon (page 11) (no date (future) - in space)
The Distance In Their Eyes, by Stephen Graham Jones (page 35) (Preds POV - no human - no date - other planet)
Aftermath, by Bryan Thomas Schmidt (page 47) ("September 1987" - briefing Dutch-Peter Keyes + escaping OWLF)
Proving Ground, by Linda D. Addison (page 79) (Preds & humans POV - no date (2020s or near future))
Lion Of The Himalayas, by Ammar Habib (page 99) (no date (present))
The Fix Is In, by Jonathan Maberry (page 123) (no date (24th century) - sequel to Gameworld (If It Bleeds))
Bitter Hunt, by Kim May (page 163) (Preds POV - no human - no date - other planet)
Field Trip, by Robert Greenberger (page 183) (Preds & humans POV - "2020s")
Cannon Fodder, by Gini Koch (page 211) (Preds & humans POV - "2422")
Little Miss Nightmare, by Peter Briggs (page 241) (Preds & humans POV - no date (2020s))
The Trophy, by A. R. Redington (page 285) (Humans POV - future - other planet)
The Monster, by Michael Kogge (page 313) (Humans POV - no date (2020s) - Sasquatch!)
Ghost Story, by Joshua Pruett (page 339) (Humans POV - no date (2020s))
Sly Dark In The Daylight, by Yvonne Navarro (page 369) (Humans POV - no date (2020s))
Dead Man's Switch, by Scott Sigler (page 397) (Humans POV - future - other planet)

Editor & Author Bios (page 429)

Agent Aztlan

Quote from: Wweyland on Aug 12, 2022, 08:39:26 PMI hope the Dutch story ties into Staling Shadows and Hunting Grounds
It's the first story I read and yes, there is a direct reference to Predator: Hunting Grounds  ;)

Detailed story:
Spoiler
Dutch is at a V.A. Hospital in Tennessee. Being cared for his radioactive illness and being interrogated by Agents Peter Keyes and Jim Garber about the Val Verde incident. Ana Gonsalves has already been interrogated.
For days, Dutch tells them about the Predator and what happened and wants to see the General Phillips who he takes responsable of the death of his team.
Keyes reveals there have been other encounters and they have found green blood and skinned animals.
Dutch records his memories on tapes, the first one being "It's September 12th, 1987. My name is Major Alan Schaefer, also known as 'Dutch'...".
Dutch learns about a new Predator in North Carolina and escapes the hospital to take revenge.
The Predator in North Carolina is a Youngblood named Yuahro.
Names dropping of Percival and Zeller. (page 68)
Dutch finds and fights the Predator.
OWLF arrived with an helicopter, but they are attacked by the father of Yuahro in a ship.
Yuahro is injured and flee in the ship. The ship leaves.
Keyes tries to recrute Dutch, but he doesn't want and flee.
Dutch thinks about his brother John, a cop in New York, and his sister, and then thinks about some friends from Vietnam who could join him in the hunt.
[close]

Wompdonkey

Agent Aztlan, I was gonna do that lol

BlueMarsalis79

Spoiler
Percival and Zeller hehe, give someone else a shot guys!
[close]

BryanThomasS

BryanThomasS

Quote from: Wompdonkey on Aug 12, 2022, 02:36:19 AM
Quote from: Some Old Dude on May 08, 2022, 01:50:20 AMThere's a Dutch story? Fingers crossed Audible get Arnold in to read it.

Yeah that's not gonna happen.
Nope no Arnold. Sorry

Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Aug 13, 2022, 09:33:09 AM

The Titans, by  Tim Lebbon (page 11) (no date (future) - in space)
The Distance In Their Eyes, by Stephen Graham Jones (page 35) (Preds POV - no human - no date - other planet)
Aftermath, by Bryan Thomas Schmidt (page 47) ("September 1987" - briefing Dutch-Peter Keyes + escaping OWLF)
Proving Ground, by Linda D. Addison (page 79) (Preds & humans POV - no date (2020s or near future))
Lion Of The Himalayas, by Ammar Habib (page 99) (no date (present))
The Fix Is In, by Jonathan Maberry (page 123) (no date (near future))
Bitter Hunt, by Kim May (page 163) (Preds POV - no human - no date - other planet)
Field Trip, by Robert Greenberger (page 183) (Preds & humans POV - "2020s")
Cannon Fodder, by Gini Koch (page 211) (Preds & humans POV - "2422")
Little Miss Nightmare, by Peter Briggs (page 241) (Preds & humans POV - no date (2020s))
The Trophy, by A. R. Redington (page 285) (Humans POV - future - other planet)
The Monster, by Michael Kogge (page 313) (Humans POV - no date (2020s) - Sasquatch!)
Ghost Story, by Joshua Pruett (page 339) (Humans POV - no date (2020s))
Sly Dark In The Daylight, by Yvonne Navarro (page 369) (Humans POV - no date (2020s))
Dead Man's Switch, by Scott Sigler (page 397) (Humans POV - future - other planet)

Editor & Author Bios (page 429)

Fix is in is 24th Centuryish and a sequel to Maberry's story from IF IT BLEEDS

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 13, 2022, 10:41:35 PM
Spoiler
Percival and Zeller hehe, give someone else a shot guys!
[close]
Johnny Ortiz, Peter Briggs, Jess T are all fans who are tuckerized in my story besides Zeller and Percival, and there are a few more as well in other stories.

Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Aug 13, 2022, 12:09:18 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Aug 12, 2022, 08:39:26 PMI hope the Dutch story ties into Staling Shadows and Hunting Grounds
It's the first story I read and yes, there is a direct reference to Predator: Hunting Grounds  ;)

Detailed story:
Spoiler
Dutch is at a V.A. Hospital in Tennessee. Being cared for his radioactive illness and being interrogated by Agents Peter Keyes and Jim Garber about the Val Verde incident. Ana Gonsalves has already been interrogated.
For days, Dutch tells them about the Predator and what happened and wants to see the General Phillips who he takes responsable of the death of his team.
Keyes reveals there have been other encounters and they have found green blood and skinned animals.
Dutch records his memories on tapes, the first one being "It's September 12th, 1987. My name is Major Alan Schaefer, also known as 'Dutch'...".
Dutch learns about a new Predator in North Carolina and escapes the hospital to take revenge.
The Predator in North Carolina is a Youngblood named Yuahro.
Names dropping of Percival and Zeller. (page 68)
Dutch finds and fights the Predator.
OWLF arrived with an helicopter, but they are attacked by the father of Yuahro in a ship.
Yuahro is injured and flee in the ship. The ship leaves.
Keyes tries to recrute Dutch, but he doesn't want and flee.
Dutch thinks about his brother John, a cop in New York, and his sister, and then thinks about some friends from Vietnam who could join him in the hunt.
[close]

There is more than one reference and even some dialogue from the tapes of HUNTING GROUNDS in the story, actually.

Quote from: NightstormScarab on Jul 06, 2022, 01:07:16 PMDoes anyone know what is going on with this novel? It has been moved back like 3 times now always a day or two right before it's due to launch. It was June the last time then moved to July 6th and now July 19th according to Forbidden Planet.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/344158-predator-eyes-of-the-demon/

Meanwhile Amazon says August 9th.

It is an issue with the studio, and with the printing paper shortage caused by COVID. Everyone in publishing has been date shuffling for the last two years. Our book was being rushed out by Titan but the deadlines were too tight for the printers, and then the studio said just hold it to tie-in with the movie. Fox never wanted that but Disney loves merchandising. Hence, here we are and number 1 for a week now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Predator-Demon-Bryan-Thomas-Schmidt/dp/1803360291

Is Forbidden Planet just a bad place to be following release dates or is this an issue with this novel exclusively?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2022, 08:12:14 AMI don't think we've heard if Eyes' short relates to Phalanx, have we? We know Ultimate Prey's does!

re: Youll's artwork. I've always liked them myself. Even the McFarlane's Celtic on the cover of Midnight. But South China Sea's is easily the best - even if not overly relevant to the plot. lol

No. Something new

Quote from: VN1X on Apr 24, 2022, 10:28:22 PM
Quote from: felix on Apr 24, 2022, 10:25:05 AMDelayed till August 9th.
Maybe they can fix the cover real quick as to not be the most generic and dull art to have ever graced a Predator book lol.

At least Stalking Shadows' cover (if we're talking new books), while not very original either, put some effort in and made it somewhat exciting and *pop* at least. Sheesh!
Sorry you don't like it. I love the cover.

SiL

Do you get input in the cover or do you just get presented options? All the Titan covers have the same collage-y feel to them and I was wondering if that was by coincidence or by design.

Agent Aztlan

Quote from: Wompdonkey on Aug 13, 2022, 09:12:31 PMAgent Aztlan, I was gonna do that lol
Sorry! I was carried away by the emotion of having finished the Dutch's story  :laugh:

By the way, I loved this story, it was in the same vein as Stalking Shadows, and reading Dutch saying his Hunting Grounds' tape word for word feels like going back in time when I've discovered the tapes in game for the first time  ;D

I hope to see more references to Hunting Grounds like that in future anthologies (developping the lore of characters like Dante Jefferson, Isabelle, the Alpha Predator, Cleopatra, or even a back story of some game trophies (for example: Lorena's Amorcito).

It could even tap in the NECA's bios: I think about Celtic, Chopper and Scar being brothers, Falconer who trained his hounds to hunt Xenomorphs, or how Mr Black got his Xenomorph's jaw on his helmet, or even Predators fighting in a colosseum on Yautja Prime (a nod to the Ultimate Warrior Predator figure).

That's the thing I love the most: crossover between medias to reinforce characters, certain elements or themes.

Wompdonkey

Wompdonkey

I'm starting the book right now. Based on what others have said I'm starting with Aftermath due to its ties to Hunting Grounds (great, if a little rough, game btw).

After Aftermath, I'm gonna read Lion of the Himalaya's (awesome title) and Scott Sigler's story. I loved Aliens: Phalanx so I'm pretty excited for his take on a Predator story. Sigler's is also the same title as a Shadowrun campaign so that caught my eye as well.

felix

Lion In The Himalaya's is one of my favorites.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed