Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,785 times)

cheachea

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 11, 2018, 03:06:06 PM
Thanks. I don't think he'll be sharing many specifics about the film for a while though.

QuoteEvery so often you'll throw up an image on your Instagram from the Aliens sequel that didn't happen. Is that a project that's still dancing around in your head or is it just something you share to display the work you've already put into it?

Yeah, I mean, I wish I could share more, but obviously Fox owns it. It's just an unfortunate thing. I speak to Sigourney about it sometimes. At this point it's kinda like the fire that was burning within me to make that is gone. Stepping outside of even the legal kind of studio-based politics I just feel like its time has come and gone. So, yeah...I think no. And I say that really reluctantly, because I cannot state how much of a fan of Sigourney I am and how much of a fan I am of ALIEN and ALIENS and the idea of doing a sequel to James Cameron's film is amazing on all levels. But, there's a point at which when you're years into it you have to move on. So, I think that has happened to me.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ex-neill-blomkamp-on-the-future-of-oats-studios-funding-a-firebase-sequel-190

Thanks to Nick from Hybrid Network for sending the link over.

Man, That's Depressing. I honestly kind of feel bad for him. Why do the studios hate Us Fans ?

I mean we all know Alien 5 would have been Awesome, but no we get "Here play the flute and I'll do The Fingering" type of BS.

Nightmare Asylum

I genuinely dig Blomkamp but I'll take Covenant over Blomkamp's Alien fanfiction concept any day.

Scorpio

He managed to step on a lot of people's toes, trying to undermine a film already in production.  And he probably affected its box office as well.  Not very professional.  He deserved to have his film cancelled.

SM

:laugh:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2018, 10:25:28 PM
:laugh:
what you laughin at sir, covenant's BO was clearly hugely influenced by the evil blomp kid's terrible fanfic project

SM

Yeah, that wiley Seth African cost Fox at least dozens of dollars.

Scorpio

Laugh all you want but it makes perfect sense to me.  So many people were talking about how they were dismayed that Alien 5 got cancelled.

SM

How many people didn't go and see Covenant because they were so cut that Blomkamp's film didn't get made, exactly?

Scorpio

I don't know but you can find plenty of posts on here from people mad that Blomkamp's film got cancelled.  So that probably soured their attitude towards Covenant, hence deciding not to see it.

Even some youtubers have mentioned it.  "They cancelled Alien 5 for this?".  But that's after the fact.

SM

Which means Fox already has their money.

Scorpio

But the other stuff was from before.

SM

The broader film audience wouldn't have even been aware there was a Blomkamp film in development.  Alien fans - a fraction of that audience - were aware, and a fraction of them cracked the shits when it got canned.

What actually affected its box office was a lack of appetite for these sorts of movies.

Scorpio

I think you underestimate just how aware people are now, given social media.  Plus people who don't normally watch these types of films, won't see it anyway.

SM

Social media could've affected the box office via word of mouth.

But that's got nothing to do with the Blomkamp movie.

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 16, 2018, 01:49:51 AM
I don't know but you can find plenty of posts on here from people mad that Blomkamp's film got cancelled.  So that probably soured their attitude towards Covenant, hence deciding not to see it.

Even some youtubers have mentioned it.  "They cancelled Alien 5 for this?".  But that's after the fact.

I didn't like that Blomkamp's film got canceled... Still went and saw Covenant.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed