HD Alien: Isolation Screenshots Released

Started by ikarop, Jan 20, 2014, 02:32:37 PM

Author
HD Alien: Isolation Screenshots Released (Read 31,929 times)

Local Trouble

Man-in-suit alien makes more sense in-universe if the aliens acquire the traits of their hosts.

Layorz

I always thought Ridley Scotts intent was that the Alien didn't look like a man in a suit anyway

SiL

No, that's actually where the host trait thing comes from.

"Of course it looks like a man! It came from one. If it'd hit the cat, it would've looked like the cat," to paraphrase.

Xhan

Xhan

Quotewhole game

Your arugmentation is missing the point of criticism.

Nothing you posit was even stated any of that, and it kinda funny that this is the standard defense offered by most here.

"are you gonna blah blah blah whole game bad blah blah only one difference alien blah blah blah"

Off the subject, and completely irrelevant.

The subject has nothing to do with gameplay or entire project thrust.

The subject is marketing and hype versus the actual Alien design and the paper thin justifications for it, and the fact that it's happened three times in a row.

The tail is once again too long, the once again goofiest legs that instantly demarcate try-a-nid alpha space arf wannabe, the once again hilariously over-exaggerated tyranid mouth, the once again overexposed skull that's supposed be a kind of demarkation toward what Aliens is (hint: it's not a marquee sign), that even glows this time just in case your loud mouth breathing makes you easily distracted and likely to miss it, the goofy chewing gum tendons and no lips so that in case you forgot which end is the business end so you can be reminded every time it kills you by the ultra specular chompy parts that are always there now instead of being revealed as appropo etc etc.

Quoteavpr

Yeah, it's resurrection design squished into a giger shape with super manly chin and outward bulgy teefs to offset the female protag. Not really sure how much of a net improvement you'd call that.

Quotelittle

If it was a little bit, people would react like it was a little bit.

Quotefew
You're going to be spending "ten to twelve hours" with the design. It probably matters a tad more than you're intimating.

You're also missing the contrast between the level of attention to detail in the Alien and the amount of fidelity in the environment it operates in and the sound and visual assets that go with said environment, it's kind of a large gap that creates a curious incongruity of immersion.

Contrary to CA's claims, you know what they didn't have in 1979?

Animatronic digitigrade legs that would work worth a damn.

Layorz

Quote from: SiL on Jan 23, 2014, 02:13:05 AM
No, that's actually where the host trait thing comes from.

"Of course it looks like a man! It came from one. If it'd hit the cat, it would've looked like the cat," to paraphrase.

Well, yeah. Alien came from man obvious. Alien monster costume isn't a man in a costume from a theatrical perspective though. As in yeah lets give the monster humanish features from a story perspective but lets make it look like it isn't actually an actor wearing a constume, hence the crazy tall and thin man wearing the costume. I thought I read that somewhere once but I couldn't find it now if you paid me to.

RobThom

RobThom

Looks terrible.

I didn't care for the quote from the playstation article where they're bragging about how "fans will be instantly familiar with the authentic visuals".
IE: The same braindead corridor tour through inappropriately cobbled together set pieces from and references to the first 2 movies that CM was.

Not only that but now their apparently trying to ape Alien instead of AlienS as far as the atmosphere, but they still have to rely on ripping off alienS with the bisected android.

Because game devs these days are easily as creatively bankrupt as their hollywood counterparts.

In fact those are their oft-quoted goals and role models.

MrSpaceJockey

Lol there's only so many ways to portray a destroyed android...nothing wrong with a bisected robot.  If it were a decapitated android you'd likely still complain and besides, we've already seen android decapitation again in Prometheus. 

Don't sprinkle nonsensical bits like that into your criticism, it devalues it.

Skulexander

Let's think like the game designers for a moment. Until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume that the game designers know what they're doing. Remember that this is a horror game and that to make a horror game actually horrifying, you have to get all the little details right. They had to have put a lot of thought into these details (unless this is just another A:CM; let's hope not). Maybe, at first, they did think about using the original alien design, but maybe that wasn't scary enough. The most major difference changing the legs is gonna make (besides appearance) is the way the alien moves. Perhaps the designers thought that the way a digitigrade alien moves was a lot more frightening than the way a "man-in-a-suit" alien moves. That's debatable, I think, but I can understand if that's the conclusion they came to. As for the mouth, a bigger and stronger jaw would indicate that the alien uses its mouth as a weapon. Maybe the alien is going to bite our skulls in half. I can dig it.

SiL

They've never said they tried it, just that "They knew it wasn't going to work".

Meaning they didn't bother and did what they wanted from the start. Which is entirely their right, it's their product. But it does kind of piss on their own "Guys look at how faithful we are!" marketing.

ikarop

Quote from: FacebookResearch posters with images from the original Alien film - the perfect studio wall decor... #StudioSnapshot

OpenMaw

I don't know how anyone could say that the original design couldn't work as-is in a game. Not to mention, we already have a horrifying character with an "abnormally human" design scaring the Hell out of people. The SLENDER man.

Especially if we're talking about motion. Bolaj Badejo worked his ass off on motion. Study this stuff,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKi41a1rJI#

Seriously, game developers! I love everything you're doing, but honestly, fix the suits design. It *can* work. All you have to do is get the exaggeration of the human form right, and make it move in a way that disturbs the player. It's not a brute or a beast. It's the devil himself, and it should look the part of Giger's original design from head to toe. It's criminal, especially if it's true they've been scanning actual props and set pieces from Alien, not to get Giger's suit at least 95% right.

Skulexander

I never said they ever tried it. Just that they must have at least put thought into it. They would have to, unless they don't actually care about the end product, and from what I've seen so far, I don't think that's the case. Also, like I said, it's debatable whether the way a digitigrade alien walks is creepier than the way a "man-in-a-suit" alien walks. They probably think a digitigrade alien is creepier because it would walk more inhumanly. I can see where they're coming from, if that's the case. However, I think, if done right, the way a "man-in-a-suit" alien walks could be more creepier. Then again, if done right, the way a digitigrade alien walks could also be creepier. It all depends on execution.

Xhan

Quote from: ikarop on Jan 24, 2014, 06:28:12 PM

Quote from: FacebookResearch posters with images from the original Alien film - the perfect studio wall decor... #StudioSnapshot

SiL

Deep breaths.

Deep, steady breaths.

Local Trouble

Did Xhan notice the alien's legs on that poster?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed