AvPG Previews Alien Isolation

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 10, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

Author
AvPG Previews Alien Isolation (Read 48,890 times)

SM

SM

All the Aliens at Hadley were the same size.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Feb 12, 2014, 03:34:03 AM
All the Aliens at Hadley were the same size.
Either way, I'm not bothered by the alien's size. People are different heights, so why can't the aliens be different heights, right? Maybe this one burst out of someone Shaq's size! Lol, jk.

Snark

Snark

Quote from: Engineer on Feb 12, 2014, 03:23:41 AM
Couldn't the alien's size be explained by its age? It's been on the station for a while by the time Amanda gets there, so there's been more time for it to grow.

It would have been interesting to somehow use Ridley's original idea of the Alien having 24 hour lifespan. It could have been a big twist at the end. Maybe someone gives their life to save Amanda. Then she confronts this thing a few hours later to find it has collapsed or died in a corner.

Eh, maybe not a good idea... Idk...

Xhan

Xhan

Quote24 hour

Three days.

Also pretty much defenestrated.

Master

Master

Very good read.

Still no eggs, no huggers and this station somehow aquired Nostromo black box right? Well I think this one here might be an original Alien form Alien. That would make sense, Sevastopol crew stumbled uppon the area of Nostromo`s explosion and found jetisoned (spelling?) black box, but something else found them too. That would explain many things along with Alien`s size. 

Samus007

Samus007

I personally don't mind the look of the legs at all. For me they make the creature look more menacing. The only thing that bothers me is I wish the creature had more drool. Not 'face covered in a swimming pool of drool' like Alien 4 but more like what was in the first 2 films. Maybe it is something that will be added in later.

locusta

locusta

Quote from: Samus007 on Feb 12, 2014, 01:16:56 PM
I personally don't mind the look of the legs at all. For me they make the creature look more menacing. The only thing that bothers me is I wish the creature had more drool. Not 'face covered in a swimming pool of drool' like Alien 4 but more like what was in the first 2 films. Maybe it is something that will be added in later.

Liquid fluids in a real time engine, which shall not look like crap? No. Not the next five, six years.

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: locusta on Feb 12, 2014, 05:24:34 PM
Quote from: Samus007 on Feb 12, 2014, 01:16:56 PM

Liquid fluids in a real time engine, which shall not look like crap? No. Not the next five, six years.

I dunno, there are a few tech demos that came out last year from Nvidia etc showing real-time fluid physics. While i'd like to see it in this game I agree it's probably too soon. But I don't think 5 or 6 years from now before we start seeing this in games.

Snark

Snark

Quote from: Master on Feb 12, 2014, 09:47:48 AM
That would make sense, Sevastopol crew stumbled uppon the area of Nostromo`s explosion and found jetisoned (spelling?) black box, but something else found them too.

I wonder if maybe a ship coming from Thedus (or another planet or base that would pass by LV-426 area) later on encountered radiation and debris from the Nostromo. They found the flight recorder and either heard the signal from the derelict (if we discount the never shot scene of Dallas turning off the transmitter), or found info in the recorder about LV-426. They find the ship and eggs and either someone gets impregnated or they somehow take an egg. Then they stop at Sevastopol on their way back to where-ever, and the Alien is born. The station crew contact WY about the recorder before the Alien wreaks havoc.

There is also the question of the planet Sevastopol is orbiting. Where is it in relation to LV-426? Why is the station there? Is there mining on the planet? Habitation of humans? A base?

SM

SM

A ship coming from Thedus wouldn't encounter any debris from the destruction of the Nostromo - assuming there is any, which is unlikely - since it was off course.

The station is decommissioned if I remember right.

DB

DB

Hmm. Am I the only one that feels like he doesn't actually know all that much more about the game? My impression of the game is still Penumbra/Amnesia in space. Which I think still sounds better than A:CM's CoD with bugs, but it's still not really grabbing me as much as it could be. As far as I know there's supposedly going to be traps and such, but it seems that you mostly just hide from it by breaking LOS or going into closets, which feels all sorts of weird when facing an Alien as opposed to horribly mutilated man monsters.

I just think the Alien is such a unique creature that could lend itself to some interesting mechanics, even in a horror game, that an Amensia reskin alone isn't enough to megahype me. The premise is excellent - you vs an Alien all alone on a station is basically the kind of game I've wanted to play forever, but it still needs to be executed properly.

I would have loved to have them take the opportunity and give an example of how those traps might work, or how those experiments with the gun impacted the game and if we can expect them to play a role later on. I guess I was a hoping to hear something like "at one point the Alien stops being playing around being deaf and blind you actually have to slow it down or disorient it to escape".

At first I thought I was just jaded and cynical, but then I told my friends what I know so far and heard their reaction: "You hide from an Alien behind boxes and in lockers? That's the dumbest f**king thing I've ever heard."

Maybe I'm not so crazy.

Still, a competently made Amnesia-like would still be miles ahead of Gearbox's pitiful attempt at a game. Literally a copy pasted Amnesia with an Alien model would still be kinda enjoyable in "for what it is".

SM

SM

QuoteAt first I thought I was just jaded and cynical, but then I told my friends what I know so far and heard their reaction: "You hide from an Alien behind boxes and in lockers? That's the dumbest f**king thing I've ever heard."

Is it that much different to Newt hiding in air ducts?  How do you think she survived?

DB

DB

Well, after the DC I always figured she avoided capture the same way she avoided being found by other kids. She just went into places the Aliens couldn't get into, regardless of whether they knew she was there or not.

'Course, my friends probably don't see it that way - I'm guessing their reaction is simply based on their casual impression of what Aliens seem to be or do. I was actually kinda surprised since I expected them not to even notice, since one of the popular ways to see Aliens is as clueless Zerglings.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think she spent the majority of the time hiding in the ducts, but she'd obviously been out to gather resources because of the state of her den and the fact the Marines find her in a hallway.

I was kind of skeptical too, but will give game a chance.

SM

SM

Quote from: DB on Feb 13, 2014, 12:09:19 AM
Well, after the DC I always figured she avoided capture the same way she avoided being found by other kids. She just went into places the Aliens couldn't get into, regardless of whether they knew she was there or not.

'Course, my friends probably don't see it that way - I'm guessing their reaction is simply based on their casual impression of what Aliens seem to be or do. I was actually kinda surprised since I expected them not to even notice, since one of the popular ways to see Aliens is as clueless Zerglings.

Considering Aliens smash down thick metal doors - I can't see them simply giving up when the little girl goes into a duct they can't fit into.  They'll simply smash their way in.

Which only leaves the option that they couldn't find her.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed