US opening weekend - place your bets!

Started by Winkie Bear, Jun 05, 2012, 02:51:53 PM

What do you think will be the cumulative box office take in the United States on the movie's opening weekend

Below $ 50 M
1 (4.5%)
$50-70 M
11 (50%)
$70-90 M
5 (22.7%)
Above $100 M
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: Jun 08, 2012, 02:51:53 PM

Author
US opening weekend - place your bets! (Read 4,485 times)

Prime113

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 05, 2012, 05:02:47 PM
Blimey, you all do know that Snow White (yes, Snow f****ing White) opened with $56 M  ??

Oh well, not long now til we find out  8)

Yes, but that had two of the hottest stars out right now. Kristen Stewart, I mean, come on, and Chris Hemsworth is a heartthrob for the wimminz.

Winkie Bear

Well I see your Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth and raise you a lycra-clad Charlize Theron, a buff Logan Marshall Green, an extremely handsome Fassbender.

Cvalda

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 05, 2012, 05:07:30 PM
a buff Logan Marshall Green
That's not buff, that's fluff ;D :P

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 05, 2012, 05:10:21 PM
Quote from: ucdom on Jun 05, 2012, 05:07:30 PM
a buff Logan Marshall Green
That's not buff, that's fluff ;D :P

Ugh, I knew that was gonna happen.  :laugh:

I'll keep him out of your way   :-*

Cvalda

By all means :D :P

Prime113

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 05, 2012, 05:07:30 PM
Well I see your Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth and raise you a lycra-clad Charlize Theron, a buff Logan Marshall Green, an extremely handsome Fassbender.

As much as I love CT and MF, they are no way near the the numbers of asses in seats as Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth. Plus, Prometheus is an R-rated Science Fiction movie. I really hope it does better than I predict, but, I don't believe it will.

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 05, 2012, 05:15:43 PM
Quote from: ucdom on Jun 05, 2012, 05:07:30 PM
Well I see your Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth and raise you a lycra-clad Charlize Theron, a buff Logan Marshall Green, an extremely handsome Fassbender.

As much as I love CT and MF, they are no way near the the numbers of asses in seats as Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth. Plus, Prometheus is an R-rated Science Fiction movie. I really hope it does better than I predict, but, I don't believe it will.

Fair enough - we'll see soon!!  ;D

Prime113

Yes we will, ucdom, yes we will.

AGHGHHAHGHGH 3 days!

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

#23
Even Alien would not do SWATH business - that film is a PG-13 franchise piece with Kristen Stewart and Thor.  It's a different market from the franchise Prometheus is aiming for - otherwise, Meredith Vickers would've had a beefed-up role, been sixteen and played by...Emma Watson.

I think Prometheus will do fine, mixed reviews and all (par for the course with the franchise), and I think it's going to clear a sequel threshold easily.  I do hope next time they don't worry so about running length and the rating.

Salt The Fries

And Prometheus obliterated Snow White in Europe...

chrisr232007

Sorry to say this but Prometheus will get beat by Madagascar 3 which I say it opens below 40 million.  For a few reasons, one Mad3 is a PG family friendly film vs. Prometheus being a R rated movie.  Second Mad3 is obening in over 4000 theaters while Prometheus is only opening in 3300.  Then with all the mix reveiws that Prometheus is getting is turning some people away from seeing it.  Then of course the bad taste that is left in many peoples mouth from previous movies such as Aliens:R, AVP, and AVP-R. I hope I am wrong for the sake of are beloved Aliens but I really dont see it doing no more then 40 million if even that.

Game_Over_Man

Yeah, 3D is the key here. Look on Twitter - there's a lot of love for Prometheus from people who've already seen it. Yes there are negative vibes as well, but overall the posts seem positive. One constant is that it's generally agreed the movie is the best thing visually since Avatar - and that alone will have people giving it a shot.

Madagascar as a threat? - not sure, the last movie was slated, it's a pretty well worn format AND under-promoted.

I sincerely hope Prometheus makes $300m+ , I'd like to see more, with another director, some even more braver choices, and a return to Xeno infested madness. 

Zenzucht

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Jun 05, 2012, 08:28:48 PM
Yeah, 3D is the key here. Look on Twitter - there's a lot of love for Prometheus from people who've already seen it. Yes there are negative vibes as well, but overall the posts seem positive. One constant is that it's generally agreed the movie is the best thing visually since Avatar - and that alone will have people giving it a shot.

Madagascar as a threat? - not sure, the last movie was slated, it's a pretty well worn format AND under-promoted.

I sincerely hope Prometheus makes $300m+ , I'd like to see more, with another director, some even more braver choices, and a return to Xeno infested madness.

I work in the cinema and I bet that thousands of people will see the movie because the Marty's afro circus gag.. Everybody who passed by the cinema and saw that part smiles immediately like idiot.. But to be fair, I also heard some people saying "We have to see that Prometheus as well!"

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed