Designing The Unknown, The Story Behind The Lost Predator’s Ship

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 30, 2019, 10:06:37 AM

Author
Designing The Unknown, The Story Behind The Lost Predator’s Ship (Read 4,653 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Superb article always preferred the Lost Predator ship look that originated in this film and appeared in AVP 2000, Primal Hunt and Monolith's AVP and I always thought the curved roof area above the center stone structure actually depicted the continent of the homeworld.

Kradan

It's totally looks like a map for me.

Voodoo Magic

Thanks for the kind words Kailem and FI  :)

Quote from: Kailem on Jan 02, 2020, 06:52:36 PM
I like the idea of a hologram projector concealing the entrance to the ship in an earlier draft.

Me too! I think I prefer it actually. Here's the snippet from the first script draft pertaining to that device

QuoteAnd great new images of the matte painting too! It's a shame to hear that the front was never designed in any way, even in just a sketch or something so the artists could be sure of how everything lined up and what parts of the front might be visible from behind etc. I feel like that's almost been the "holy grail" of the Lost Tribe ship, but alas I guess outside of the NECA Cinemachines figure (which I like) I guess it's just not meant to be. :laugh:

Yeah, I was really hoping Mark was going to say "Why yes, I did sketch the entire ship back to front. Here are my design drawings. I actually have blueprints, would you like to see?"   :laugh: But alas, nothing but the back was ever officially designed

But thankfully Mark still possesses the painting and offered to take it outside for me on a clear day to take those new pictures for this article. He really is the best!

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 02, 2020, 07:07:05 PM
I always thought the curved roof area above the center stone structure actually depicted the continent of the homeworld.

I still personally perceive it as perhaps an eye, an extension of its organic and embryonic mysterious atmosphere, but that's really a fascinating take FI. Unfortunately I couldn't uncover any data on that particular specific aspect to confirm or deny.

The Old One

The Old One

I never perceived the fusion of organic and machine aesthetic as literal.

Voodoo Magic

The Old One

The Old One

To me, it feels like it's living because of the way the walls pulse, but it's actually more interesting to me if the technology is just so far beyond what we understand that it appears as though it must be organic to us.

Kel G 426

I've always thought it was a shame that they didn't use the motif of this ship when designing the pyramid for AVP.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Kelgaard on May 04, 2020, 12:28:22 PM
I've always thought it was a shame that they didn't use the motif of this ship when designing the pyramid for AVP.

One of the worst aspects of the Predator elements of AVP was not continuing from those creative hooks. Predator stuff in the AVP movies just looks like generic sci-fi space stuff.Going cold-steel and monochrome really didn't help that, either.

Really cool information. I only wish we had more close up photos of the walls and the interior designs. I would love to hear more about the designs on the walls and what kind of "story" ideas the artist was implementing there. Some of them you can almost see things, but its hard to say specifically what any of it might be without more context from the artist. Its a whole universe of potential.

Lionhart

Thanks, interesting 👍

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed