Introducing Walter, Alien: Covenant's New Synthetic

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2016, 10:29:12 PM

Author
Introducing Walter, Alien: Covenant's New Synthetic (Read 48,363 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: 426Buddy on Nov 04, 2016, 05:37:57 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 04, 2016, 04:20:35 PM
But Ridley wanted Ash to be a Martian. So 35 years later in a fit of pique, he decided to do an entire film about a Martian and turn the Brandywine dudes into droids in the next Alien film.

Considering how much David Giler and Walter Hill have been apart of the franchise I think it's quite possible.

I was hoping for the Wall-E connection, but it sounds more likely that the naming of the new synthetic in A:C is a homage to David Giler and Walter Hill. David and Walter. But man, Wall-E - that would've been really cute.

SamuelDL

Even if it does not begin with 'E', I really like Walter's name for the new android. We'll see if Scott gives us an unexpected twist. If there will, I do not think it's related to a third robot. I would seem too many in one movie.

And about the technology of the ships... As others have mentioned, it seems logical that the Prometheus is more advanced than the Nostromo. That it is the most expensive ship ever built is a good excuse to justify holograms and cleanliness. The Covenant, so little has been seen of her, seems to have a more tough and austere appearance, close to what we saw in the movie of '79:

Corporal Hicks

Just those flip switches do it for me. It looks like a reasonable meld of future and past.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SamuelDL on Nov 18, 2016, 06:49:52 AMAnd about the technology of the ships... As others have mentioned, it seems logical that the Prometheus is more advanced than the Nostromo. That it is the most expensive ship ever built is a good excuse to justify holograms and cleanliness.

That rouble is the time gap. Would the bridge of a top-of-the-line scientific research vessel from 30 years ago really look that much more advanced than that of a container ship of today?

I'd argue the difference wouldn't be that stark.

Corporal Hicks

Depends how stagnant development got. The Auriga doesn't look great and that's a 200 year time gap.

HuDaFuK

Well yeah, but I guess we never really get to see any of the massively techy areas of that, like the bridge. It's all just corridors.

Also you're forgetting they have this:

TECHNOLOGY :P

Whiskeybrewer

I always assumed that the Auriga was a ship they pulled out of mothballs for what they needed and they just added what they needed to it

Astronoë

Astronoë

Maybe this has been asked before, but is this Walter n David together before David went off to the Prometheus?  :o

So, who won the game?

HuDaFuK

That's from the David viral video for Prometheus, if I'm not mistaken, so they're both Davids.

Astronoë

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 23, 2017, 09:53:37 PM
That's from the David viral video for Prometheus, if I'm not mistaken, so they're both Davids.

Yes from there, but David was a specific individual only? Like Walter has his own name like the other droids Ash n Bishop instead of generation designation

Quote"Was it an older model?"
"Yeah. The Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2."
"Well that explains it. The A/2s always were a bit twitchy."
―Bishop and Burke, regarding Ash (from Aliens)

HuDaFuK

According to that video Davids are all called David. Just like there was another Bishop in *gulp* ACM.

Astronoë

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 23, 2017, 10:00:52 PM
According to that video Davids are all called David. Just like there was another Bishop in *gulp* ACM.

Or they only spoke to one called David cuz he was special model n was set off to join Weyland. Could probably be giving a robot a name is just to make humans more comfortable.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Astronoë on Feb 23, 2017, 10:03:23 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 23, 2017, 10:00:52 PM

Or they only spoke to one called David cuz he was special model n was set off to join Weyland. Could probably be giving a robot a name is just to make humans more comfortable.

Yes, ten years have passed. I'd wager at first everybody had a 'David' and after a short time that novelty wore off and everyone started naming their Davids whatever they wanted.

I wonder if in the next film there'll be a David named Gordon!  :D

Astronoë

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 23, 2017, 10:04:53 PM
Quote from: Astronoë on Feb 23, 2017, 09:48:37 PM

So, who won the game?

Most likely ended in stalemate.  :laugh:

Maybe they will continue the game when they meet again?  8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed