Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 176,551 times)

ReViliTy

yeah they still have touchstone.

I seen Starz is listed under Fox as well... home of the evil dead show.  I wonder if disney would keep starz around.

Xhan

Xhan

The only reason touchstone exists was as a holding stable for Dreamworks whom now work with Universal.

Disney will never do R rated property themselves, and by the time they consider doing it for things along the line of Logan or Deadpool superhero fatigue will firmly be a thing. The only reason Fox even bothered with Logan is the staff took scale and Deadpool made absurdly over projections, so expecting Disney to do the same is firmly in over-optimism territory.

How quickly people forget what happened to Marvel's actual comics with disney holding the money bags.

Gate

Yaaay, another f**king retcon of the timeline.

Deathbearer

I'm torn. On one hand I'm not fond of Disney, on the other I hate where the Alien franchise has gone and want Alien: Covenant erased from reality. Huh.

Toxic34

I didn't realize Fox has a stake in Starz. If that's so, then that would mean that Disney would inherit that, including Ash vs Evil Dead. Which might be good, as I want them to achieve their stated goal of 5 seasons, and consummate the long-ago proposed Ash/Mia narrative merger. In addition, since Disney would still have a say in the Fox TV programming even without owning them, they would determine the fate of the long-ago dead Family Guy, which only spins further down the toilet in making incredibly mean-spirited and pointless jokes and turning every character unlikable. However, there's a good chance they might kill off The Simpsons because they give in to all the people who've spread the long-accepted myth that the show is unwatchable and is completely coasting, which is far from the truth.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Xhan on Nov 13, 2017, 04:10:57 AM
How quickly people forget what happened to Marvel's actual comics with disney holding the money bags.

What happened to Marvel's comics? I know that they shut down the MAX imprint some years ago which was the one that did all the R rated gory Marvel comics like Punisher MAX, set in a world with lots of swearing and brutal violence. I don't know if Marvel still makes those types of comics anymore.

DerelictShip

I think they should just sell the rights over to me

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Nov 14, 2017, 02:59:19 AM

What happened to Marvel's comics? I know that they shut down the MAX imprint some years ago which was the one that did all the R rated gory Marvel comics like Punisher MAX, set in a world with lots of swearing and brutal violence. I don't know if Marvel still makes those types of comics anymore.

I wonder if this is about when X-Men and FF4 were pushed to the sidelines?

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Nov 14, 2017, 02:59:19 AM

Um, there's a new Punisher prequel series under the MAX imprint going on right now.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/49110/punisher_the_platoon_2017_1

It's about three issues in by now.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Deathbearer on Nov 13, 2017, 12:54:53 PM
On one hand I'm not fond of Disney, on the other I hate where the Alien franchise has gone and want Alien: Covenant erased from reality.
That's a pretty extreme desire regarding Covenant, but as already suggested here, maybe it's time to let it go. Move on, the franchise had a great run. Let a future generation pick it up if interest is renewed. Meanwhile, us fanboys here can continue to reminiscence on Alien archive.

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't like to see it whither away. I think there's plenty of potential left it in, I personally don't think Scott is the one to realize that potential.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2017, 09:27:05 AM
I wouldn't like to see it whither away. I think there's plenty of potential left it in, I personally don't think Scott is the one to realize that potential.
I think it still has potential in other entertainment media, comic books, games, etc., but I'm not as positive as you regarding feature film. Treat it like wine, store it and let it age. Some director of 2095 dusts it off, him completely free of today's film making's trappings.

BlackMatter169

I'm actually surprised that, given the numerous attempts to make cinematic universes in the wake of Marvel, Fox didn't try a reboot of both Alien and Predator as a lead-in to a crossover film. I still wish something like that would happen.

Dabaus

I think at this point it would be for the best. Look at where we are, Prometheus has basically been thrown away like it never happened and covenant was a soft reboot, that I think failed to do just that. It failed as a sequel to Prometheus and failed as a competent alien movie. Pretty yes, memorable no. The fact fox said they are unsure where to go from here and then said they trust Ridley will "find" where alien needs to go doesn't inspire confidence.
      Alien is in a similar place that I think Star Wars prequels are, who also were prodeced by fox...hmm. Love or hate disneys direction with the Star Wars franchise at least it has a future now. There's excitement among fans, there's side story movies like rogue one and talks of a tv side story. Alien fans, myself at least, are not only deflated with the current trajectory but actually worried these will do permanent damage to an already battered franchise.
     Alien, under foxs stewardship is in trouble. People need to realize this. Covenant underperformed as far as fox is concerned and if they let Ridley have his way with David being the creator of the alien I think that would be the nail in the coffin. Few franchises couldn't survive so many duds in a row since alien 3 which is a testament to the strength of the ip and the loyalty of the fans. Fox clearly has no idea where to take this franchise and I say Disney couldn't be any worse than where we are now.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Dabaus on Nov 21, 2017, 03:21:01 PM
I think at this point it would be for the best. Look at where we are, Prometheus has basically been thrown away like it never happened and covenant was a soft reboot, that I think failed to do just that. It failed as a sequel to Prometheus and failed as a competent alien movie. Pretty yes, memorable no. The fact fox said they are unsure where to go from here and then said they trust Ridley will "find" where alien needs to go doesn't inspire confidence.
      Alien is in a similar place that I think Star Wars prequels are, who also were prodeced by fox...hmm. Love or hate disneys direction with the Star Wars franchise at least it has a future now. There's excitement among fans, there's side story movies like rogue one and talks of a tv side story. Alien fans, myself at least, are not only deflated with the current trajectory but actually worried these will do permanent damage to an already battered franchise.
     Alien, under foxs stewardship is in trouble. People need to realize this. Covenant underperformed as far as fox is concerned and if they let Ridley have his way with David being the creator of the alien I think that would be the nail in the coffin. Few franchises couldn't survive so many duds in a row since alien 3 which is a testament to the strength of the ip and the loyalty of the fans. Fox clearly has no idea where to take this franchise and I say Disney couldn't be any worse than where we are now.

Yes, definitely. I don't understand all this scepticism and hate for Disney. People forget that the best Star Wars films were thanks to the so called "perfect storms", and no thanks to just one talented man (just like in the first Alien). And to be honest, I strongly believe that Disney could have better plans for the Alien franchise, unlike FOX, which clearly does not seem to have a clear idea of where to go.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed