Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 281,271 times)

predxeno

predxeno

The only backstory I didn't like was the one where the Pred Dogs were just overpowered against the Alien.  As for the universe-canon issue, I just made the 2 things 1 cause in my world that's essentially what it should be... For better or worse, I'm afraid.

shadowedge

Looks like Dark Horse is keeping the licenses then. Cool. I am really interested to see the Alien/Predator/AVP comics relaunched from scratch. Also tying in to Prometheus is cool.

Count me in!

RakaiThwei

Quote from: shadowedge on Oct 12, 2013, 02:14:54 AM
Looks like Dark Horse is keeping the licenses then. Cool. I am really interested to see the Alien/Predator/AVP comics relaunched from scratch. Also tying in to Prometheus is cool.

That and they're not really declaring the old expanded universe material to be non-canon. They're just not going to be using them is all.

Everyone wins.

-Rakai'Thwei

Bender1988

Interesting news(news for me at least)
QuoteLast and most certainly not least, Joshua Williamson, the writer on PREDATORS, says all 3 Predator films are canon to him. "If you look at how the continuity works in the original films they each work alone, but still acknowledge the ones before it. That's the same attitude I've had with my Predator story. Listen, I'm a continuity junkie, to toss anything would be sacrilege, but I don't want it to overpower what I'm trying to do here." As for whether the Predators will be main characters or the villains in the narrative, Williamson says "both?" The book will include an older Predator who's searching for a final and worthy hunt.
->comicvine.
What 3 Predator movies-there is predator 1, predator 2, no predator 3..ahh he means the predators by rodriguez...that sucks-I and probably a lot of other fans don't acknowledge bullshit/I mean super preds to exist-they were only bad bloods, nothing more. Predatos should never be stated as cannon.
But the story about old Pred/last hunt sounds perfect....there was a short one back in the days of almost identicall script
Spoiler
Elder pred, really old, impaled alien to stone wall with spear,but he was badly burned by acid-he started to have some memories about his past and such,then shoot the wall and wanted to be killed by his favorite prey-"it wasn't the end he was hoping for"
[close]
...F# hope this wont be a rip off

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Bender1988 on Oct 12, 2013, 05:49:17 AM
What 3 Predator movies-there is predator 1, predator 2, no predator 3..ahh he means the predators by rodriguez...that sucks-I and probably a lot of other fans don't acknowledge bullshit/I mean super preds to exist-they were only bad bloods, nothing more. Predatos should never be stated as cannon.

Well Bender, keep in mind that this is a new and perhaps separate continuity which doesn't really interfere with the old one according to Sebela whom had suggested so via Tumblr. It just is a different take on the mythology which only borrows elements from Predator, Predator 2, Predators, Prometheus, Alien, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection. While it doesn't take the AvP films as part of the new lore, the writers are not declaring the AvP films or the previous published expanded universe to be non-canon with the Alien-Predator franchise.

This new continuity is just that, a new continuity and it doesn't impede on what has been previously already established. The AvP films and the old continuity are still there. It's just Old Testament now. Still canon but just old and likely may not be updated or connected with the new stories whatsoever as Sebela said he is not going to use the AvP movies or the old expanded material but he and the other writers are not rendering them moot.

At least that's from what I understand from what Chris Sebela had said on his Tumblr anyway.

-Rakai'Thwei

dragonthingy

They should do what they do with the star wars eu and have a tier system.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: dragonthingy on Oct 12, 2013, 07:11:03 AM
They should do what they do with the star wars eu and have a tier system.

Or at least an Alien-Predator multiverse, but I don't think a lot of people would like that.

Because of all the confusion, that's why I rely on the Word of God trope and it's made things easier for me..

-Rakai'Thwei

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

For what it's worth, the NECA backstories were written by FOX - as I understand it, NECA was going to design the packaging for the Predators figures, and FOX specifically stepped in and said "nah man, we got this". I can pick Randy's brain on Twitter for the full story though.

Quote from: predxeno on Oct 11, 2013, 10:07:12 PM
The way I read it is that they're ALL part of the same continuity, but the older EU and the AVP films won't really be referenced at all (they'll kind of get the cold shoulder and be ignored).
I'm hoping the older stuff still gets referenced anyway, sort of like how the DH Press 'Aliens' novels were allegedly supposed to not reference the older stuff, but "Criminal Enterprise" and "No Exit" did anyway (and referenced some damn obscure stuff, to boot).

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 12, 2013, 01:01:18 PM
For what it's worth, the NECA backstories were written by FOX - as I understand it, NECA was going to design the packaging for the Predators figures, and FOX specifically stepped in and said "nah man, we got this". I can pick Randy's brain on Twitter for the full story though.

Everytime someone mentions the NECA backstories, I just laugh and shake my head.. and die a little inside. Some of those backstories are pretty atrocious and they use fanon terms to describe planets, or even get their information wrong on some creatures like the Vy'drach which went from being a phoenix dragon like creature as described in the Spear Master bestiary in AvP: Extinction, to some insectoid like creature which dwells in the lava regions of the planet. Then again these are the Kenner Predators which in their own right are just... bizarre.  ::)

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 12, 2013, 01:01:18 PM
I'm hoping the older stuff still gets referenced anyway, sort of like how the DH Press 'Aliens' novels were allegedly supposed to not reference the older stuff, but "Criminal Enterprise" and "No Exit" did anyway (and referenced some damn obscure stuff, to boot).

Considering that Chris Sebela has stated that he is doing a clean slate and is ignoring all previous AvP encounters, including the movies-- this is likely not to happen. And if somethings are touched upon which was established in the previous stories, they are likely done by accident and coincidental, at least that was what he said.

So if you're going to be looking for references from major stories like Concrete Jungle, Cold War, Big Game, Prey, Berserker, War, Three World War, or any of the works ranging from comics to games.. You're probably out of luck there and likely are.

Only good part about that is that none of the old expanded material isn't being retconned or declared non-canon. But they're not being connected to the new stories. And you know what? I'm fine with that because it doesn't interfere with the old stuff.

As for Criminal Enterprise and No Exit... I never read those. What did they reference?

-Rakai'Thwei

predxeno

predxeno

I know criminal enterprise referenced the Grant Corporation which was in a few of the main Aliens EU comics.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

No Exit name-dropped the corporation from 'Aliens: Elder Gods', one of the backup stories from the Aliens annual one-shot.

QuoteConsidering that Chris Sebela has stated that he is doing a clean slate and is ignoring all previous AvP encounters, including the movies-- this is likely not to happen. And if somethings are touched upon which was established in the previous stories, they are likely done by accident and coincidental, at least that was what he said.
I guess we'll see what happens. :)

DaddyYautja

And everyone laughed at me when i was throwing Predator stuff into Prometheus.

Now these dudes are actually doing it.  :laugh:

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Oct 14, 2013, 12:20:16 AM
And everyone laughed at me when i was throwing Predator stuff into Prometheus.

Personally, I hate the fact that they're counting PREDATORS with this yet despite what Rodriguez and Scott say concerning their movies having nothing to do with Predator 2 (Antal's word doesn't count!) and AvP, they're tying it into AvP anyway yet they're not counting the movies.

The only good thing I see about this is that it's kind of it's own separate thing based on what the interview and what Sebela said on his Tumblr anyway.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

QuoteAnd everyone laughed at me when i was throwing Predator stuff into Prometheus.

Now these dudes are actually doing it.

We may end up laughing at them too.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Oct 14, 2013, 01:26:30 AM
We may end up laughing at them too.

Personally, I just can't help but shake my head at all of this. Maybe that's the pessimist in me though.

-Rakai'Thwei

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed