Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 10, 2018, 05:38:04 AM

Author
Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way (Read 59,950 times)

Huggs

I honestly don't know if I could sit through it. There's been so much behind the scenes information that I feel like the only thing left we don't know is what kind of napkins Giger used at home.

The poor things been analyzed down to a cellular level at this point.

Immortan Jonesy

Maybe it's like a deconstruction of Dan O'Bannon's original Alien (via Alien Exploratios):

QuoteExpanding on this in the original conception of the Alien race, the inhabitants of the planetoid are seen as tough and primitive, and with an extremely complicated sexual cycle. Reproduction was very difficult for them and had therefore become central to their religion. And this pyramid was a temple to reproduction, the exterior was approximately twenty metres tall and was possibly the creation of an ancient, primitive and cruel culture. Inside the building is a room accessed through a vertical tunnel in the roof since the normal entrance has long since collapsed. The spore pods can be found around the alter in the centre of the room. The inhabitants of this world had three entirely different stages in it's life-cycle which are featured as very stylised hieroglyphs on the wall of the birthing temple. It features an oval design with markings as a spore casing, a star shape as a face-hugger, and the star shapes are shown in conjugation with other life forms perceived as freakish hybrids or Gargoyles, these hybrids were often part anthropoid and part octopus in another rewrite part insect and worm like things are then seen emerging from the hybrids, the image of the spore and face-hugger is followed by a creature with six legs and tentacles as the creature in its young form and then the larger form and the pattern repeats itself.

Biomechanoid

Well, Phillipe must be doing something right, he is also praised for his other documentaries. I read some reviews on it, I found one review that touches on the Greek Furies as an allegory to Alien......

"And it expands on a theme that's often been talked about: that "Alien" was a subterranean feminist horror film — not just because Sigourney Weaver's Ripley turns into one of the most potent heroines in cinema, but because the movie, drawing on the Greek mythology of the Furies, conjures a symbolic nightmare fantasy of a man getting raped (by the face-hugger) and then, in the chest-bursting scene, giving birth."

Digging further since I don't know much about Greek Mythology, apparently the Furies were three goddesses of vengeance who punished men for crimes against the natural order.

So there's the connection....I guess....kinda....sorta.....if you squint your eyes. Apparently that's why we see three witches rising through Alien 79's illuminated blue mist.

I guess the next thing I need to dig for is WTF is a subterranean feminist horror film.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jun 30, 2019, 01:08:07 AM
Well, Phillipe must be doing something right, he is also praised for his other documentaries. I read some reviews on it, I found one review that touches on the Greek Furies as an allegory to Alien......

"And it expands on a theme that's often been talked about: that "Alien" was a subterranean feminist horror film — not just because Sigourney Weaver's Ripley turns into one of the most potent heroines in cinema, but because the movie, drawing on the Greek mythology of the Furies, conjures a symbolic nightmare fantasy of a man getting raped (by the face-hugger) and then, in the chest-bursting scene, giving birth."

Digging further since I don't know much about Greek Mythology, apparently the Furies were three goddesses of vengeance who punished men for crimes against the natural order.

So there's the connection....I guess....kinda....sorta.....if you squint your eyes. Apparently that's why we see three witches rising through Alien 79's illuminated blue mist.

Jonesy was the only one who wasn't attacked by the Alien, though  :laugh:   

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jun 30, 2019, 01:08:07 AM
I guess the next thing I need to dig for is WTF is a subterranean feminist horror film.

https://youtu.be/fX746b8pDVg   

Biomechanoid

Oh I understand the feminist horror part, but what does your video example Audition, have to do with subterranean?

Immortan Jonesy

Maybe no so much. I guess by subterranean he means B-movies or films that aren't on the mainstream radar. Although, since we are talking about Alien, I doubt it.

Biomechanoid

Yea, Alien doesn't really fall in the B-movie category even back then.

Well....at the very least, The Descent is a subterranean feminist horror film....literally.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I know it's a symbolic interpretation of the original Alien, but we already know the truth :laugh:: The Alien is a misanthropic killing-machine designed to erase the entire mankind by a misanthropist robot, with repressed sexuality.

Edit: Also, it's funny to note that what they did with this documentary is the same thing that some fans have done in the prequels section of this site. I mean the interpretation and search of symbols.

Darwinsgirl

I will leave the symbolic interpretation to those more knowledgeable than I. What I am hoping for is to see sketches,doodles,notes on early ideas and concepts. Something from his own hand we haven't seen.  :)

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Jun 30, 2019, 04:39:06 AM

I will leave the symbolic interpretation to those more knowledgeable than I. What I am hoping for is to see sketches,doodles,notes on early ideas and concepts. Something from his own hand we haven't seen.  :)

Probably the less muddled and best approach to take.

I did a search on 'subterranean feminist horror film,' but Mr. Google reports, "sorry, I got nothing."
The first listing it shows is......

13 Best Feminist Horror Movies - Top New Horror Films for Women
Jul 18, 2018 - 13 Feminist Horror Movies That Will Make You Appreciate the Genre in a .... adventure goes terribly wrong when they get trapped underground.

[cancerblack]

I think subterranean was meant as "by stealth", you don't suspect it to be a feminist horror but then later the themes fall into place.

Biomechanoid

A bit of a stretch, but sounds plausible. Though when I think "stealth," subterranean would be far from the first word that pops in my mind.

I pondered if subterranean feminist horror meant a female character(s) confronting horrors in the dark crevices of a given cinematic environment/locale.

[cancerblack]

It's not the best use of language, but I think you're being way too literal too.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 30, 2019, 09:20:01 PM
It's not the best use of language,

Maybe. But "stealth" is still plausible it was the author's intent.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 30, 2019, 09:20:01 PM
but I think you're being way too literal too.

Certainly a possibility.

Perfect-Organism

Maybe subterranean just means underground?  As in, not main stream?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed