What would you be playing the role of?

Started by Ellen Ripley, Dec 13, 2007, 09:43:29 PM

Author
What would you be playing the role of? (Read 3,845 times)

Ellen Ripley

I dont get what role playing games are. are they a videogame or do you play dress up and scare your siblings.

def

there are several types of role playing games including video games, card games and board games. rpg in video game terms are long story based video games where you control a character and move around freely in the world and complete objectives at your leisure

Ellen Ripley

ah, thanks

EPA1337

It is pretty much playing yourself to some degree. There is also more freedom in the game. This is generally not found in most other genres.

Garo Predator

Like PLaying WoW RolePlaying

gameoverman

The original RPG was Dungeons and Dragons I think.  The aim is to pick a certain class of character (warrior, wizard, etc) and progress through quests while upgrading your skills/weapons/armour/etc.

Theoretically, an RPG could offer you total freedom to be anything in a fictional world, but really there has to some kind of progression in order for it to be a real rpg experience.

Pinky Narfanek

Just to expand a bit on what others have said:

LARP (Live-Action-Role-Playing): These are the people that get dressed up in costume and go about having their game.  Sometimes it's in public, sometimes it's not.  Some LARPs use fake weapons or "boffer" weapons, others ban them outright.  Most (that I've heard of) frown on bothering anyone outside the game while game-related activities are going on.

Table-top or Pen-n-Paper RPG: This is more the traditional D&D-style game with a group of folks sitting around in someone's kitchen/basement (to use the common stereotype) going through their game.  Dice are common although some games use cards or other methods (sometimes forsaking dice altogether) to determine outcomes.  Leading Edge Games originally published an Aliens RPG (as well as a boardgame) back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Computer Game RPGs: I think that def defined those pretty well.

Purebreedalien

Quote from: def on Dec 15, 2007, 06:42:26 PM
there are several types of role playing games including video games, card games and board games. rpg in video game terms are long story based video games where you control a character and move around freely in the world and complete objectives at your leisure
Like Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3 and Ultimate Spider-Man.

predator elite

think of elder scrolls 4 oblivion that is an rpg it would be cool to have a predator rpg

fearless freak

Quote from: Pinky Narfanek on Feb 29, 2008, 07:07:17 AM
Just to expand a bit on what others have said:

LARP (Live-Action-Role-Playing): These are the people that get dressed up in costume and go about having their game.  Sometimes it's in public, sometimes it's not.  Some LARPs use fake weapons or "boffer" weapons, others ban them outright.  Most (that I've heard of) frown on bothering anyone outside the game while game-related activities are going on.

Table-top or Pen-n-Paper RPG: This is more the traditional D&D-style game with a group of folks sitting around in someone's kitchen/basement (to use the common stereotype) going through their game.  Dice are common although some games use cards or other methods (sometimes forsaking dice altogether) to determine outcomes.  Leading Edge Games originally published an Aliens RPG (as well as a boardgame) back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Computer Game RPGs: I think that def defined those pretty well.

i do a bit of LARPing every now and again, but i'm more of a Pen & Paper RPG'er now

Xenomorph

You're more likely to be an alien why do you think its called aliens RPG.

Xenomorph

Besides they're already making an alien game where you get to be a marine, which is "Aliens: olonial Marines."

InFaHazel

InFaHazel

Dressing up and scaring one's siblings  takes place  before during and after game play

scaring one's siblings is caused by the lack of sun light and life the role playing game players have as they tend to rarely leave mothers basement except for yoo hoo and bagel bite runs in the kitchen

RPG gamers often dress as his or her favorite animal during normal day to day activities  from what i understand.

these players  have such a powerful imagination that the RPG scenario often takes over as  reality with gamers resulting in decreased comfort levels around girls and  excess white heads around the eyes and nose

this is according to  a  recent new york times article i read

Private Hudson

I play RPG's and other games for hours on end and I don't have discomfort around girls or excess white areas around eyes and nose, if anything my eyes are dark from staying awake all night.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed