Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Apr 15, 2017, 12:04:43 AM

Author
Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!! (Read 134,113 times)

rabidranger

So, we're sure David and Shaw are on the horizontally flying ship and not the scorpionaut?

Xenomorphine

It's a bit depressing that a lot of key scenes have now been spoiled through publicity hype. Now that it's become clear what David 8 does, it amuses me that early 21st century Israel Iron Dome technology is actually a more advanced than what the Engineers have come up with... Shouldn't they have something to protect their colonised planets from, say, a completely natural series of asteroid bombardments?

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 21, 2017, 02:13:54 PM
And yeah - House on Haunted Hill is just one of the low-budget horror flicks that used the similar face design over the last 20 years. It became old hat.

'Cabin In The Woods' did it the best.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 21, 2017, 03:22:47 PM
It's a bit depressing that a lot of key scenes have now been spoiled through publicity hype.

They did the same thing with a lot of Prometheus and both times I feel it's been a mistake.

And yes, I think the apparent setup with how to get rid of the Engineers/inconvenient storylines is very lazy and random, even if the setpiece is almost certainly going to be gorgeous to watch.

Quote'Cabin In The Woods' did it the best.

And even then it was old!

Evanus

If they're truly going to kill off all the engineers, :(,  I don't see how they could squeeze two more movies out of this story.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 21, 2017, 03:22:47 PM
It's a bit depressing that a lot of key scenes have now been spoiled through publicity hype. Now that it's become clear what David 8 does, it amuses me that early 21st century Israel Iron Dome technology is actually a more advanced than what the Engineers have come up with... Shouldn't they have something to protect their colonised planets from, say, a completely natural series of asteroid bombardments?

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 21, 2017, 02:13:54 PM
And yeah - House on Haunted Hill is just one of the low-budget horror flicks that used the similar face design over the last 20 years. It became old hat.

'Cabin In The Woods' did it the best.

Why would they shoot down their own ship?

Who's to say they're are as violent to there own kind as humans are?

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Evanus on Apr 21, 2017, 03:31:01 PM
If they're truly going to kill off all the engineers, :(,  I don't see how they could squeeze two more movies out of this story.

My concern is that the very literal prequelization approach evident in elements of this film and Ridley's recent comments about future direction is going to lead us down the road to the Thing prequel, where you ended up seeing how every little bit happened right down to an axe in the door or a frozen guy with slashed wrists, no matter the contrivance to get there.

I just don't feel this franchise or these monsters need that, I feel it diminishes them. I felt the meta-prequel/sequel approach Prometheus had, for all its faults, which led to a wider canvas and left the alien and the backstory of the first film mostly undiluted, was best.

I know I seem relentlessly down on the larger story direction and that's because I honestly am. But I also feel AC looks gorgeous style-wise and I expect it to be a fun and scary movie.

Evanus

Agreed, man. :( I don't really like the direction they're taking either.

But like you said, at least these films will be scary, entertaining and gorgeous looking.

hfeldhaus

Not many people liked the direction Prometheus took, and from what has been said in interviews it looks like Covenant is going to follow that.

SpeedyMaxx

I think AC is actually a very overt move away from Prometheus. Which I can understand on one level, but creatively I feel it's regressing.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

The same questions are being asked just now there is an Alien in it, and more of a horror angle. That's what I'm seeing. The question of creation comes with David and we've had nothing of him during marketing. David is the link to Prometheus, he will bring the questions and, hopefully, answers this time.

Like you said there is regression to the series base. It's what the majority of fans wanted. Prometheus did move far away, which isn't a bad thing. It was just horribly executed.

Adorianu

Adorianu

Quote from: lv_226 on Apr 21, 2017, 01:59:48 PM
I'm not keen on the forward shot of the neomorph going in for the attack. I need to see the final film in order to be convinced of its necessity. If its mouth moves like the deacon's did, then it would be pretty cool.

I like how the neomorph's design is a direct reference to the unused creature design in Prometheus:

In Empire magazine you can read that Neomorph is inspired by Goblin Shark,so his jaw probably will be working like this:

hfeldhaus

Stupid fish. Swam right in  :laugh:

lv_226

If they had given the Engineers black contact lenses, it would make up for their rather humanoid look here-which admittedly, is the only thing about this that has bugged me so far.

Morose

I never thought I would see an engineer wearing a hat

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed