What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 281,505 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Giving the Tolkien translation a reread before the movie comes out.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 29, 2021, 03:31:00 AM

I read the Roger Lancelyn Green version the other day. It's aimed at children so it reads more easily in prose form.

Trying to recall if Tolkien's book had the original Middle English poem included with his translation or not?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 29, 2021, 03:31:44 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on May 29, 2021, 03:31:00 AM

I read the Roger Lancelyn Green version the other day. It's aimed at children so it reads more easily in prose form.

Trying to recall if Tolkien's book had the original Middle English poem included with his translation or not?

My copy doesn't, but he did two different versions. One academic, one popular.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Fantasticland by Mike Bockhoven (2.75/5).....

.....This was an entertaining book but never really picked up in the suspense/thriller aspect.

A premise of a Lord of the Flies type of book or Battle Royale, it's major error for me was not capitalizing on the true terror of the kids' situation and the fact that I simply couldn't understand, and the other tried at the end, why only after 24-48hrs of the hurricane hitting, murder would be almost instantaneous.

The book WAS entertaining and i really enjoyed how it was written, through transcripts of interviews done by the survivors and other figures associated with the park. The backstory was straight and to the point and the interview towards the end of the book was really intriguing and smart.

However, for me, I just couldn't get past the instant killing. Maybe if the author had done a slow burn of days, I could somewhat fathom it more. And some other loose ends never got finished.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Christine by Stephen King

My first time reading this. I have seen John Carpenter's movie several times and always loved it. The film does a good job of covering the broad strokes of the book. The book however had a more developed story when it came to what made Christine tick and her relationship to the previous owner, LeBay. More of a possession and less of a car coming alive (though there is that too). Also a much larger body count than the movie. I quite enjoyed it.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Negative Space by BR Yeager (4/5)....

This was an extremely different and well written book. I was pretty much hooked within the first 50 pages and it was hard to stop.
I think it's because the book is told from the perspective of 3 different people throughout the story and it starts from high school, through to college with quick jumps in between.

I did my my last two and a half years in high school living in a small town and could instantly relate to what these kids were doing. The use of drugs and even the language/terms spoke by them was dead on! The author did a great job of setting the feeling of the town.

Now, what the story is about..?... it's kind of hard to describe as there are times when the story is told in dreams and several plots are intertwined. In the end, I didn't know how to describe this book other than horror. It has some cosmic touches here and there, suicides that are alarming as no one knows why it's happening and a drug that could make them see the world through another lens. Now, we're they really seeing and experiencing these happenings? I think that's for the reader to decide!

It's dark, crazy, fun, twisted and exciting. I can honestly say I haven't read a book like this.

Huggs

Huggs

A brochure.

Kinda disappointing.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

In the Skin of a Jihadist by Anna Erelle

The actual accounts of the journalist who cat-fished an ISIS recruiter for a story.  I saw the movie and wanted to read the book, it's interesting how the conditioning works. 

Ingwar

Ingwar

Artemis by Andy Weir
The Future of Humanity: Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality, and Our Destiny Beyond Earth by Michio Kaku

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos

A pretty solid collection of Lovecraft inspired fiction so far, my current favorite being Robert E. Howard's The Black Stone.

Ingwar

Ingwar

I only have read At the Mountains of Madness.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

One Rainy Night by Richard Laymon (4/5)

Well, I think I might've found my guilty pleasure author and it's Richard Laymon. This is the third book I've read and I'm still really enjoying these.

Imagine a Grindhouse type of film, but in written form, and you'll get this type of book.

It's violent, sleezy and over the top which makes it such a great novel.

Could've done without the character of Trevor but other than that, great book!

Shasvre

Shasvre

The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber

I haven't read this in many years. It's a werewolf story like no other. Hard boiled 70s cops meet canine hunters. Only these werewolves are not humans turning into wolves, but their own breed - a superb predator hidden in cities around the world. It's very interesting when the authors lets us have a fair bit of the book seen from their perspective, showing us how their pack works and how they view humans.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I'm actually listening to an audio book of a werewolf story myself, The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon. Entertaining stuff, about a WWII era spy who also happens to be a werewolf.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed