Ridley Scott Admits He Was “Wrong” About Prometheus & Talks About Future Alien F

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 10, 2017, 07:09:57 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Admits He Was “Wrong” About Prometheus & Talks About Future Alien F (Read 31,214 times)

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: fiveways on May 11, 2017, 03:13:42 PM
As much as I love the idea of Shaw and David exploring an Alien race we do not understand I've always known that wouldn't full happen because most people would be bored by that film.

It's not one or the other. I think you could've had both cosmic exploration with new ideas for the franchise and grueling body horror and scares in the same film. Both Prometheus and this film are two separate and incomplete halves of an excellent new movie thanks to elements within each.

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on May 11, 2017, 05:46:23 PM
It's generous of Ridley - he did sound pretty stubborn at the time, But also I think he's easing the responsibilites of the executive producers who ultimately had the final say. I suppose he needs their support now, especially to up the budget for what will probably be his final contribution to the franchise.

We need to stop putting this on other people. This was Ridley's choice - he made the calculation to go back to the alien and all its appropriate fan service, to re-crown himself the king of sci-fi horror.

QuoteI don't mind Prometheus in retrospect - it has an Italian  B-Movie vibe about it, mirroring the grand pretentions of those films, and the grand disappointments of not fulfilling their promise! :)

It was in fact heavily inspired - at least visually - by Bava's Planet of the Vampires.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Lee on May 11, 2017, 04:41:29 PM
I am thrilled that Ridley Scott is...FINALLY...taking the heat for the criticism lobbed at "Prometheus," which I loved, by the way.  I felt it was hugely unfair that fans took out their frustrations on Damon Lindelof over the film, when all he did was write what Scott wanted.

While I'd seen Furious Gods a few times and read Spaihts' draft several times, I've only recently read Lindelof's and I have to say, there's stuff in there that is better than the film. Off the top of my head - Milburn isn't a biologist so it's not as stupid with the Hammerpede and that line about everyone wanting their parents dead is along the lines of "doesn't everyone hate their parents?"

Unfortunately, there's been a lot going on so my memory might not be as clear but I remember reading it going "this is much better." I think Scott and Scalia's editing has been more harmful. For Prometheus and Covenant.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 11, 2017, 06:54:04 PM
We need to stop putting this on other people. This was Ridley's choice - he made the calculation to go back to the alien and all its appropriate fan service, to re-crown himself the king of sci-fi horror.

I understand that was actually forced down on him. And you can tell, I think.

SpeedyMaxx

I don't have a reason to doubt you, I guess it just doesn't feel like him at all to me. This film seems like his attempt at a victory lap after being doubted slightly with Prometheus (and having no idea where to go next story-wise).

I do agree Scott's compulsion to be pacey in the editing hurts both films. And I think a similar compulsion and drive to continue proving out as the unaged master drove him back to the alien. The drive to make David/Fassbender central to the mythos seems very much a personal choice.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 12, 2017, 08:42:35 AM
The drive to make David/Fassbender central to the mythos seems very much a personal choice.

I completely agree. There's some definite and obvious fascination with David (and rightfully so, I think). I think that in order for him to play with this more, he had to bow to the Alien inclusion because that seems to be the big thing Fox took away from Prometheus.

SpeedyMaxx

I just think this particular story choice not only cheapened David's previously-ambiguous and fascinating character, it diminished the alien and the franchise at large.

EJA

Mike

Problem with Alien Covenant, is when David cut his own hair to look like Walters. It would have been obvious to Walter (who presumably has a high IQ) that David was showing motives to replace him by looking like him.

Also continuity error. Blood on woman's face. Then next scene no blood on face. Then blood on face again. Still totally forgiven!

Other problem is the conversation at the beginning by Peter Weyland about not believing evolution, by suggesting humans must have had a creator... glaring philosophical hole... who created the tall pale aliens? Evolution perhaps. Peter Weyland would be smart enough to realise the hole in his own logic.

However the rest of it was excellent. Worst part was Walter not realising... almost ruined the film.

T Dog

All this shit ultimately came out of Jon Spaights head. He thought the only way people would be able to get into the space jockeys story would be if they "relatable" to humans and had a link to them. Thus the creation blah blah blah mumbo jumbo and the tall albino horseshit.
It was just f**king lazy and Ridley went with it because it was the easy answer.

And now this shit with David is again the lazy easy answer.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: T Dog on May 13, 2017, 01:01:20 AM
All this shit ultimately came out of Jon Spaights head. He thought the only way people would be able to get into the space jockeys story would be if they "relatable" to humans and had a link to them. Thus the creation blah blah blah mumbo jumbo and the tall albino horseshit.
It was just f**king lazy and Ridley went with it because it was the easy answer.

I suspect that came from both him and Scott. And it was likely correct. It's hard to play scenes with giant elephant men and make them viable to a mass audience. That being said, the way the Engineers were used didn't have to be quite so functional - just them running around hitting people.

T Dog

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 13, 2017, 01:22:34 AM
Quote from: T Dog on May 13, 2017, 01:01:20 AM

I suspect that came from both him and Scott. And it was likely correct. It's hard to play scenes with giant elephant men and make them viable to a mass audience. That being said, the way the Engineers were used didn't have to be quite so functional - just them running around hitting people.
They didnt even play any scenes with them bar one at the very end of the movie. They werent supposed to be "relatable". They are crazy looking f**king Aliens! Wheres the fun and intrigue in "relatable".

Corporal Hicks

blarga

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 11, 2017, 06:54:04 PM
It was in fact heavily inspired - at least visually - by Bava's Planet of the Vampires.

It's the original 79' Alien that is a ripoff of Terrore nello Spazio, not really prometheus.

cucuchu

Date: 3 May 2021

Topic: Ridley Scott Admits He Was "Wrong" about Covenant & Talks about Retirement

Actually I hope this thing is succesful and he takes any critism to make the final prequel film amazing.

Immortan Jonesy

I wonder if he will admit someday that Engineers are a mistake. Though the bombing sequence might be his way of saying it :P

KiramidHead

Ridley has made a lot of mistakes he'll never admit to. Like GI Jane. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed