Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel

Started by felix, Jul 19, 2018, 12:59:24 AM

Author
Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel (Read 56,232 times)

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 07, 2019, 07:12:15 AM
I dunno, I thought things like

Spoiler
people being literally ripped in half and having their guts and baby Aliens spill onto the floor and having to cut your sister's head off
[close]

was pretty violent.

Most of that is described either indirectly or in a vanilla way. When I think of Steel Egg, I think about more graphic descriptions of violence. Maybe even Out of the Shadows, but I haven't read either in a while. The concept of this isn't anywhere near the potentially objectionable idea of adolescents murdering each other, though, and

Spoiler
The sister was a robot, so that doesn't really fit with the same type of violence.
[close]

Quote from: SM on Jun 07, 2019, 09:42:25 AM
It's one of the more memorably graphic sequences in a book in recent memory.

You're talking about Alien books, right? Because if you mean all books, and your statement was objectively true, then this book would probably be getting quite a bit of press.

Naginata

Right, but, like... My point was that YA books don't have to be sappy cheese-fests. This book is more similar content-wise to Hunger Games than to Twilight, yes?

Yes.

SM

I've not read either, but from what I do know - imma go with 'Yes'.

Vrastal

Got the audiobook and after about an hour the main characters inner monologue love struckness is really annoying

Still Collating...

Finally got around to reading this. Or should I say, listening to the audiobook.

Now this... was good. Really good. I really felt a connection with Olivia. I usually don't like the main character this much in Alien novels, I just don't get so emotionally attached to them even when they're written well. I get more immersed in the world and eagerly await to see which character becomes fodder for the horrible carnage the aliens bring forth.

Olivia was quite charming and felt "human". I didn't know at first why I cared so much for her as I'm a mid twenties straight white guy, but then I figured out that she acted like real teens do. Like I and my friends behaved and would've behaved. Her constant lovesick state was written, at times, a bit clumsily. It does get on the verge of being annoying, as well as her frequent thought tangents even in high risk situations. But I'll be damned if I don't admit that I wouldn't act the same way if I were in her shoes. I was just as obsessive when I was a teen in love, and the tangents are frequent when you're out of your depth and your mind tries to sway your thoughts away from horrific and painful events. For me, everything felt all too real. When normal everyday life in the Alien universe is interrupted by space horrors. Felt real, got me more engaged cause of that and everything had more weight to it when things happened.

I liked that we spent good time getting to know the characters before we get to the action. If done right, that's always needed. The character deaths were impactful, I was frequently worried who would go next. The world, the characters, the story, everything felt immersive, it got me attached to it all.
Won't go into spoilers, but IMO, the aliens were done well. I always get super aggro when the beast isn't handled correctly. I applaud the author in the way she treated them, I was more than satisfied. The Alien felt real and horrific.

I personally loved this book. Wasn't written as well as The Cold Forge and since I'm comparing it to a book I also adore, I can say that maybe the characters in Echo weren't as intriguing as the ones in The Cold Forge, but in Echo they were a lot more likable and I got more emotionally attached to them. Though that's maybe a given since the books have very different goals in portraying their characters and both achieve what they were aiming for, I'd say.

I like Olivia as much as Amanda, honestly, so I'm glad we'll be seeing more of her in the upcoming comic and game. Of course, I hope she isn't milked to death, less is more...

Not a perfect novel by any means, but quite a pleasant surprise! My score? Prime.  :laugh:

SM

;D

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

When is this set in relation to The Cold Forge and Resistance ?

SM

Closer to the former than the latter.

Frosty Venom

Would this order be correct? - Resistance, Rescue, Aliens, The Cold Forge, Echo and Colonial Marines: Rising Threat

SM

Resistance, Rescue, Echo, Aliens, Cold Forge, CM - Rising Threat.

The Old One

The Old One

Interesting.

Corporal Hicks

Did I miss something or did

Spoiler
Olivia just assume the Aliens would be in the caves near the mountains?
[close]

I can't recall any reasoning behind that.

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 11, 2019, 04:57:48 PM
Did I miss something or did

Spoiler
Olivia just assume the Aliens would be in the caves near the mountains?
[close]

I can't recall any reasoning behind that.

Spoiler
if I'm remembering correctly the mountains are where the Wey-Yu derelict ship crashed
[close]

Corporal Hicks

That's right. But one didnt equal the other as far as I can remember.

Xiggz456

Spoiler
Now that I'm thinking about it I believe she went to look for her Mom and she figured that's where her mom would have headed towards.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed