Blomkamp chats to IGN about his new Alien film

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Mar 04, 2015, 11:42:13 AM

Author
Blomkamp chats to IGN about his new Alien film (Read 28,437 times)

Born Of Cold Light

I'm sorry but this obsession with retro tech is getting a bit much.  Sure, it can be fun if played with in order to keep the vibe of the first films, and I'm not saying that everyone has to be running around in Halo suits, but the future should look and be futuristic.  I'm writing some sci-fi stories write now that take place several centuries in the future and I'm taking great pains to make it clear that humanity is way beyond what we have now, even if it slows down my writing a bit.  If this trend continues, the next generation of filmmakers will have space ships being piloted with Windows 95.  It's just silly.

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 04, 2015, 07:48:03 PM
I'm sorry but this obsession with retro tech is getting a bit much.  Sure, it can be fun if played with in order to keep the vibe of the first films, and I'm not saying that everyone has to be running around in Halo suits, but the future should look and be futuristic.  I'm writing some sci-fi stories write now that take place several centuries in the future and I'm taking great pains to make it clear that humanity is way beyond what we have now, even if it slows down my writing a bit.  If this trend continues, the next generation of filmmakers will have space ships being piloted with Windows 95.  It's just silly.

I agree to a degree. In my honest opinion, AvP2010 did a decent job of "updating" the technology without bringing it too far from the movies.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 04, 2015, 02:32:30 PM
I still don't understand why he wants to make an Alien movie sequel when he clearly isn't interested in making one rather than a fan fiction story. Like I said before, he has cool ideas and all when it comes to concerts and design, but the rest...

We don't know what the story is yet. Just that Ripley and Hicks (in some form) happen to feature in it.

Weylan

Weylan

I honestly wish this wouldn't be happening...I wish FOX would have not agreed...and maybe a few years later we'd get some to finish Ripley 8's story and put an end to ALL incarnations of Ripley once and for all....Now the Alien films can continue in the long run with NEW ORIGINAL CHARACTERS! Anyone who thinks Ripley is the only way for Alien films to work is just plain crazy...yes did she help establish the series? Hell yeah, was she awesome? No doubt! But it's time for new characters to face the Aliens on the big screen like in several of the good novels, comics, and games. Ellen obviously isn't the only individual who was fought Weyland-Yutani or the Xenomorphs....SO MUCH POTENTIAL! God I hope someone does this one day...

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Mar 04, 2015, 07:53:58 PM
Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 04, 2015, 07:48:03 PM

I agree to a degree. In my honest opinion, AvP2010 did a decent job of "updating" the technology without bringing it too far from the movies.
I agree to a certain degree as well. Personally I loved how the tech in Prometheus looked. It did feel like it was the same aesthetic with a more realistic outlook on future technology. I found it easily plausible for the Prometheus ship to be in that state because it was a top of the line scientific exploration ship, probably made even more fancy because Weyland was going to use it. And that the Nostromo and other ships were made as cheaply as safely possible. 

Jarac

Quote from: Weylan on Mar 05, 2015, 12:17:05 AM
I honestly wish this wouldn't be happening...I wish FOX would have not agreed...and maybe a few years later we'd get some to finish Ripley 8's story and put an end to ALL incarnations of Ripley once and for all....Now the Alien films can continue in the long run with NEW ORIGINAL CHARACTERS! Anyone who thinks Ripley is the only way for Alien films to work is just plain crazy...yes did she help establish the series? Hell yeah, was she awesome? No doubt! But it's time for new characters to face the Aliens on the big screen like in several of the good novels, comics, and games. Ellen obviously isn't the only individual who was fought Weyland-Yutani or the Xenomorphs....SO MUCH POTENTIAL! God I hope someone does this one day...

Except Resurrection was a product of them not being able to let Ripley go. I agree that they need to go with new characters and stories like what the comics had, but those comics got retconned thanks to wanting to make Resurrection and "bring Ripley back." Continuing Ripley 8's story is still continuing to have Ripley in it. Personally, I am fine with A3 and A:R being side-stepped, and this could be the alternate continuity ending of Ripley's story and we could continue on like in the comics.

CainsSon

CainsSon

So is everyone going to overlook the fact that there is the insinuation in this latest interview that Prometheus 2 ties into this movie?

Does anyone actually think Prometheus is BETTER than ALIEN 3?

Jarac

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 05, 2015, 02:57:09 AM
So is everyone going to overlook the fact that there is the insinuation that Prometheus 2 ties into this movie?

Does anyone think Promethues is BETTER than ALIEN 3?

God, I hope not. Alien 3 puts Prometheus to shame when it comes to acting and writing.

Xenomorphine

The Sulaco had "state of the art" stuff on it. Gateway, too, most likely.

Comparisons with the Nostromo's technology only work up to a point.

CainsSon

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 05, 2015, 03:02:00 AM
Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 05, 2015, 02:57:09 AM
So is everyone going to overlook the fact that there is the insinuation that Prometheus 2 ties into this movie?

Does anyone think Promethues is BETTER than ALIEN 3?

God, I hope not. Alien 3 puts Prometheus to shame when it comes to acting and writing.

Well, when asked about the connections he chokes back and says he wants to keep his cards close to his chest.
I mean, if there's nothing to hide, there is no deck of cards.

marrerom

Quote from: Weylan on Mar 05, 2015, 12:17:05 AM
I honestly wish this wouldn't be happening...I wish FOX would have not agreed...and maybe a few years later we'd get some to finish Ripley 8's story and put an end to ALL incarnations of Ripley once and for all....

Same here man. I never thought I'd be so disappointed over Alien 5 being made  :(

Weylan

Weylan

Jarac, I do agree that Resurrection was a product of that, but at this point if they MUST have Ripley in Alien 5 (we which I think she shouldn't be), just finish Ripley 8's story instead of resorting to Fan Fiction nonsense of retcons, Ellen, Newt etc died people need to let that go...the one thing we definitely agree on is that they need New Original Characters. Blomkamp should just create new characters for this film, it'd perfect.

Xhan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 04, 2015, 12:11:49 PM
Definitely the best interview he has given so far. I actually really like his attitude, sounds very Ridley-ish in that he wont take shit from the studio. Just hope he works well with his crew as what made Alien so special was a collaboration of talent, something he didn't have on Prometheus.

QuoteI'm such a visual person that the narrative of stuff is neither here nor there for me sometimes. It's literally about imagery.

This scares me a little. I really hope that visual eye doesn't compromise Alien 5 like it did for Ridley with Prometheus.

It did work with Alien though, and Cameron literally barked a rep off of Elstree so, it frankly sounds more promising than anything we've heard out of FOXnFRENZ promo camp in probably a decade, or since before or after Predators.

It's still marketing, but it more genuine than anything else uttered in quite a while.

Adam802

Quote from: Weylan on Mar 05, 2015, 03:40:44 AM
Jarac, I do agree that Resurrection was a product of that, but at this point if they MUST have Ripley in Alien 5 (we which I think she shouldn't be), just finish Ripley 8's story instead of resorting to Fan Fiction nonsense of retcons, Ellen, Newt etc died people need to let that go...the one thing we definitely agree on is that they need New Original Characters. Blomkamp should just create new characters for this film, it'd perfect.

No.  A:R sucked, and Ripley 8 sucked.  Nothing worth working with there.  At all.  Thank god Alien V is ignoring them.  Making a sequel to A:R would be WAY more fan fiction-ish than ANY "retcon/alt timeline".  This new movie sounds geat so far, and is the alien film Ive always wanted. 

Weylan

Weylan

Sorry Adam but Blomkamp's Alien so far sounds like a whiney butt hurt fanboy's fan fiction ...is Ellen superior to Ripley 8? Hell yeah she sure is but she ****ing died in Alien 3 which is a very good film (not as good as Alien and Aliens I definitely agree, but good nonetheless and a fitting end to Ellen) but at this point bringing back Ellen? Pathetic fan-fiction is all that is...as I said before I feel BOTH versions of Ripley should be left out, they should just do ORIGINAL CHARACTERS...so sad Blomkamp isn't very creative to create a new epic, rather than resorting to poor fan tactics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed