AVPR restoration

Started by ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR, May 06, 2020, 12:49:19 AM

Author
AVPR restoration (Read 9,580 times)

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Why can't Fox or Disney go back and restore AVPR to better lighting were you can actually see what's going on this time and release a new Blu-ray? I don't get it. Do they think it's pointless? Yeah the film might be horrible but if we can actually see what's going on in the film we can atleast enjoy it for the Predator and Alien action scenes in it. The Predator was horrible too but I enjoy the scenes of the 2 Predators in it. Fugitive and Upgrade and also with that film atleast you can see everything in that film.

AVPR 2 great things came out of it, possibly one of the most badass Predator designs to this date Wolf Predator and the Predalien was also pretty cool.

If Fox won't do it I wonder why nobody made a custom blurrray of AVPR with brighter lighting? You know how you got those folks that do that on custom Facebook commissions, well why won't they tackle AVPR and make it so we can see what's going on?

I wish Fox would of done it years ago but it's better late then never. It will still be a horrible film but atleast we can just enjoy the AVP carnage in it.

SiL

SiL

Why Fox/Disney haven't:

1) Colourists aren't cheap

2) They'd need to remaster the Blu-Rays with the new file, which would again take time and money

3) They'd then need to spend money advertising the fact they've remastered the film to try to get people to buy it

4) It wasn't particularly popular so there's not enough market to justify 1-3

Why nobody else has:

A compressed video file does not have the same depth of colour information as the master files. If you tried to brighten the footage as-is you'd mostly end up with a very grainy mess. Here is me pushing the image without destroying it. Better? Sure. Good? Still no.

Also, time. If someone sent me an HD blu ray rip of the film I could totally go and try to push the dark parts. But I also have better things to do with my life.

(Unless someone wanted to pay me, then sure!)

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Fox spent 40 million dollars on AVPR, I understand all your points but they basically wasted all that money. The least they can do to salvage the footage and make it watchable is spending more money and making it brighter and atleast a enjoyable time waster film.

SiL

SiL

No, the least they can do is nothing, which is what they're doing.

If you wanna get together a couple hundred USD I'll gladly go through and brighten it.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Thanks but not at the moment but if I change my mind I will give you a holler. So you do that to films? You brighten the films themselves and take the graininess away?

SiL

SiL

Mostly I'm an editor but I can do colour correction.

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on May 06, 2020, 01:00:29 AM
Why Fox/Disney haven't:

1) Colourists aren't cheap

2) They'd need to remaster the Blu-Rays with the new file, which would again take time and money

3) They'd then need to spend money advertising the fact they've remastered the film to try to get people to buy it

4) It wasn't particularly popular so there's not enough market to justify 1-3

Why nobody else has:

A compressed video file does not have the same depth of colour information as the master files. If you tried to brighten the footage as-is you'd mostly end up with a very grainy mess. Here is me pushing the image without destroying it. Better? Sure. Good? Still no.

Also, time. If someone sent me an HD blu ray rip of the film I could totally go and try to push the dark parts. But I also have better things to do with my life.

(Unless someone wanted to pay me, then sure!)

That After pic came up pretty well.

SiL

SiL

Thanks. Still not ideal, but much better.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, my first thought was how much better that was too.

SiL

SiL

I mean I take PayPal.

426Buddy

426Buddy

If it was a movie worth being able to see then we would pay lol.

SiL

SiL

Damn, I thought I had a sale.

SM

SM

Only 129599 frames to go.

SiL

SiL

Look I'll do a dollar a frame and that's my final offer.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

If we all pitch in...  :P

(shame Alien/Predator fans don't seem big on the crowd-funding)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed