Ridley Scott implies "Hard R" intention

Started by Keyes, Jan 14, 2016, 07:46:58 PM

Author
Ridley Scott implies "Hard R" intention (Read 56,801 times)

hfeldhaus

Body needs to make a comeback. It's really the only horror that gives me any kind of chills. Is he saying it will be an 18 or a 15 classification for us Brits? I hope the former. It will decrease the budget but they can be more daring with what they get.

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

"its going to be that but much worse" this sounds great.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I think everybody can agree that Ridley held back the graphic violence in Prometheus. Not saying that gore is good or necessary but you know, sometimes you just need to have the shit scared out of yea with good old horror. I agree that it can't one up the chestburster scene, nor does he have too but thinking back on what the med pod scene was supposed to have been like. That would have shocked the f**k out of me. Seeing squiddles let itself out and Shaw appearing to die on the table to only then have the MedPod go to work saving her life like a GOD in the workshop. It didn't have to even be as bloody as the chestburster scene to have been tense and amazing. The Claw just didn't do it. I wanted to see that bipolar surgery mumbo jumbo.

Still guys lets be honest, it's be a long while since anyone's gotten exploded by an alien. I for one want to see what they can come up with. Eh that engineer didn't count. Dude was already dead. :)

OpenMaw

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2016, 11:00:22 PM
It doesn't neccessarily have to be another "chestburst" scene. Personally, I'd like a better realization of black goo or biomechanical transformation. That has the potential to be a real disturbing body horror scene.

Something slower would honestly be more effectively.

There's an episode of Star Trek Voyager where they introduce an alien species called "Species 8472" and during the first encounter with this species, one of the crew get's smacked in the chest by the creature. He then spends the rest of the episode in sickbay, slowly being digested/transformed by the alien cells that infected the wound. No treatments work, and the alien cells are actually keeping him alive. So he's fully aware of what is happening and suffers the fullness of the agony.

Something along those lines might be the better way to go. Xenogene infestation. Slowly having your body reworked and repurposed. A little David Cronenburgs "The Fly." Some of the final stages could be total mental breakdown/madness, and then the final cocoon phase.

T Dog

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 15, 2016, 12:41:48 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2016, 11:00:22 PM
It doesn't neccessarily have to be another "chestburst" scene. Personally, I'd like a better realization of black goo or biomechanical transformation. That has the potential to be a real disturbing body horror scene.
Something along those lines might be the better way to go. Xenogene infestation. Slowly having your body reworked and repurposed. A little David Cronenburgs "The Fly." Some of the final stages could be total mental breakdown/madness, and then the final cocoon phase.
They had the massive potential to go that way with both Holloway AND Fifield. They could have had great character archs where they turned from douchbags into sympathetic characters that the audience felt sorry for.

Perfect-Organism

I don't think going for something grosser or more violent than the chestburster scene is necessarily a good idea.  If you're doing it because it is a part of the story, do it.  If you're trying to shock me, don't bother.

Consider this, the pregnant lady's encounter with Chet basically takes the idea to another gruesome level.  And it is one of the worst parts of the film AVPR.  Why go there?  I just don't think that is where the appeal of the Alien films is anymore.

CainsSon

Ridley says:

"I always remember walking down the edge in Saint Louis when we were previewing [Alien]. I couldn't sit through the film one more time. I walked down the edge into the kitchen scene when John Hurt started to bring up his breakfast. That moment, I realized how pretty scary the film was... I felt a sense of responsibility that I had gone too far because it was extreme. I'm going to try and do that again this year, but much worse."

:o

Here's mud in your eye!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 15, 2016, 12:41:48 AM
There's an episode of Star Trek Voyager where they introduce an alien species called "Species 8472" and during the first encounter with this species, one of the crew get's smacked in the chest by the creature. He then spends the rest of the episode in sickbay, slowly being digested/transformed by the alien cells that infected the wound. No treatments work, and the alien cells are actually keeping him alive. So he's fully aware of what is happening and suffers the fullness of the agony.

It's funny because I was thinking about the revamped Borg assimilation in First Contact. That freaked the shit out of me as a kid. I'd like something like that with the intensity x 1000. The image of all that metal slowly taking over someone.

Johnny Handsome

Sounds great, but i'm still sceptical about the whole "Hard R" thing.

With a reported budget of 150 Million it's hard to believe FOX will go with an R Rating, especially since Prometheus didn't set the boxoffice on fire.

I still remember Ridley in 2011 saying "I want to scare the living shit out of the audience", well... that was exactly what was missing in the first movie, and de-Alien it and putting in a giant octopus and bold muscular dudes didn't really help it either.

This one has Alien in the title, so i'm expecting something in the way and style of the first movie, and not some pseudo religious bullshit, that pretended too hard to be something else and in the end pleased no one.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jan 15, 2016, 09:09:36 AM
This one has Alien in the title, so i'm expecting something in the way and style of the first movie, and not some pseudo religious bullshit, that pretended too hard to be something else and in the end pleased no one.

I sincerely hope we get something more than that this time around.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jan 14, 2016, 11:24:47 PMIt's definitely the whole concept of 'one-upping' that makes some of us wary. I mean you could do, say, "this time, it bursts out of his [you-know-what]!" Would that be worse? Definitely. But would that make it 'better' than the chestburster? Well, that all depends on the story surrounding the event.

Nastier isn't necessarily better, as AvP:R demonstrated so crudely...

Was thinking exactly this.

T Dog

What's the Deadpool budget? That's Fox right and an R?

It seems studios at the moment are keen to put their chips on the table with some of these franchises and just do things right for the material.

Whiskeybrewer

I do hope they go for a Hard R / 18 certificate. That's what the franchise should be

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 15, 2016, 12:05:06 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jan 15, 2016, 09:09:36 AM
With a reported budget of 150 Million

Source?
I read that in an article somewhere, don't know where it was. It sure isn't a fact, but his latest movies where all around 100 Million, and PG-13.
Quote from: tmjhur on Jan 15, 2016, 12:20:11 PM
What's the Deadpool budget? That's Fox right and an R?

Around $50 Million because of the R-Rating, otherwise no greenlit, according to Reynolds.

In comparison to the other big studios, Fox had a pretty shitty year at the boxoffice, i can't see them doing risks at the Moment.

I can see Alien Covenant being R, but they will surely cut the Budget for that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed