For all those who hate A:CM

Started by Predator@Alien, Oct 16, 2019, 01:44:02 PM

Author
For all those who hate A:CM (Read 21,878 times)

gold

gold

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 14, 2020, 08:25:21 AM
Whoever wrote it is a talentless moron, the story is Asylum level, it's insultingly moronic to anyone with two brain cells to rub together.

I take it this is an official personal attack and an insult to my intelligence?

molasar

molasar

Quote from: gold on Jan 15, 2020, 03:46:19 AM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 14, 2020, 08:25:21 AM
Whoever wrote it is a talentless moron, the story is Asylum level, it's insultingly moronic to anyone with two brain cells to rub together.

I take it this is an official personal attack and an insult to my intelligence?

I am a gamer since early 80s but A:CM has not left me with good memories of any aspect of it. In many games I can turn a blind eye to story, graphics and music but not to gameplay mechanics. It was not pleasant at all. Then there is its so-so story, OK graphics (not great, not bad either) and tolerable music but I remember its main menu theme only.
I am mostly into single player campaigns, so can't say much about its multiplayer mode. Anyways it could not save the game for me because its gameplay mechanics.

A: CM is something I can easily forget about without any remorse.

SM

SM

Quote from: gold on Jan 15, 2020, 03:40:52 AM
I think people who hate the story have an agenda. They are the type of people who value graphics over anything and the fact that the game was downgraded graphically is cause for the hate.

The story of ACM is actually very well thought out and a fanservice gift to "real" fans of the second movie and the 80's comic books.

People who hate it are probably the modern Call of Duty crew.

QuoteIf the game had been more worked on graphics and dialogues, everyone would have said that it was a good game.

I don't care about graphics, but if more had been done with the dialogue it would have improved it.  I don't think it would've made it a good game necessarily, but so much of the existing dialogue is not only excrutiatingly bad but also badly performed, that it'd be hard to make it worse.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Can we settle down a bit. There's no such thing as "real" fans, let's not insinuate people are moronic or etc. We're grown-ups. Behave it.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I think some people here forget that differing opinions on things in this franchise exist. That or they forget how to communicate their opinions in a way that doesn't come off as condescending.

Predator@Alien

Predator@Alien

I am open to all opinions. But I don't understand the bad faith of people who hate something for a reason, but yet they adore other works that do much worse.
For example : Out of the Shadows, River of Pain, Fire and Stone... A lot of points in the story are unforgivable and yet just because it's officially canon, people don't ask questions and they accept it blindly. I only see one thing in ACM which is really hard to accept : the colony after the detonation of the AP. But what else ? Some little things are too insignificant to be noted. Or, if you to take account of these, so we have to be honest and consider the big mistakes in Out of the Shadows, Sea of Sorrows, River of Pain, Fire and Stone... "which are officially canon".

SM

SM

Many people ask questions about Out of the Shadows, River of Pain and Fire & Stone and do not accept them blindly.

This is a weak argument.

The whole premise of A:CM is that the colony and Aliens survived.  It's stupid.  The complaints about bad dialogue, retconning of Hicks, general lack of attention to detail and sub-par graphics are just icing on the cake, and it's combination of these that generally amounts to people disliking it.

The other things you mentioned also have flaws, but they're often not enough for people to dislike the overall product.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: SM on Jan 16, 2020, 12:43:12 AM
general lack of attention to detail 

In what respect?

Because the music is solid and very in the vein of Aliens, the USCM gear is as close as its ever been to the film counter parts, same goes for most/all the weapons sounds, most of the environments feel like they're easily extensions of either the Sulaco or Hadleys.

SM

SM

I think the environments they extended beyond the film with the colony and Sulaco were decent enough - but there were many issues with recreating what we saw in the film.  Big things like the Sulaco hangar being suddenly half it's original size, Morse being missing from the Alien 3 flashback, down to small stuff like lockers being in the wrong spot or the geography in the Fiorina flashback being all wrong.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe they'll patch it.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I think one of the biggest problems is that the gameplay isnt even fun.

Predator@Alien

Predator@Alien

I have often seen people use this argument. 

Sometimes people try to flip the script all over the place to make it work. Why not do it with the colony ? We can find solutions to this problem. If we do not accept A: CM in the canon because of this history of colony, then why accept Out of the Shadows which gives us an origin of xenomorphs older than their creation ?

The Old One

The Old One

We do not accept it because it's awful, but I also don't accept any of the Titan Alien Trilogy F&S/L&D or The Rage War because each of them contradict the films in a way that's very difficult to ignore. But I'll also cross stuff off that I feel is not any good. I think that's fair.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Predator@Alien on Jan 16, 2020, 07:48:54 AM
I have often seen people use this argument. 

Sometimes people try to flip the script all over the place to make it work. Why not do it with the colony ? We can find solutions to this problem. If we do not accept A: CM in the canon because of this history of colony, then why accept Out of the Shadows which gives us an origin of xenomorphs older than their creation ?

Shadows didn't give us an origin of the aliens that is older than their creation because Shadows was released first .Covenant simply retconned/contradicted it. Its not like the book chose to ignore the lore.

I am not sure how serious you are being in your arguments, plenty of folk have complained or have taken issue with the Shadow and Rage trilogy. i.e Ripley's inclusion, the harpoon gun continuity error, Decker's telepathy, River of Pain's marine additions and continuity errors.  However, trying to say that they are worse or that we accept it because its canon, is false.  Our views on a subject have nothing to do with canonicity as this is not a case of canon = must be good, non-canon = must be bad. That is not how it works. Quality, story and whether it makes sense are the factor by which we judge.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: SM on Jan 16, 2020, 01:57:36 AM
I think the environments they extended beyond the film with the colony and Sulaco were decent enough - but there were many issues with recreating what we saw in the film.  Big things like the Sulaco hangar being suddenly half it's original size, Morse being missing from the Alien 3 flashback, down to small stuff like lockers being in the wrong spot or the geography in the Fiorina flashback being all wrong.

Gotcha, I'll say that those are fair things to complain about them getting wrong considering the other details they got right.

QuoteI think one of the biggest problems is that the gameplay isnt even fun.

I disagree, when you up the difficulty for campaign its good enough fun, I'd imagine using the PC fix makes it better.
That being said the multiplayer is where this game was the best.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed