Recent posts

General Film/TV Discussion / Re: Fallout
Last post by ace3g - Today at 02:28:18 AM
I love the score riffs similar to Terminator 2 Judgement Day.
Recreational Area / Re: Last TV Show You Watched
Last post by SM - Today at 02:24:57 AM
Rewatching all of Letterkenny.
General Film/TV Discussion / Re: Stephen Spielberg UFO Movi...
Last post by SM - Today at 02:24:22 AM
Roy Neary teams up with ET.
Community News / Re: Alien Timeline Updated
Last post by SM - Today at 02:22:37 AM
Even in my advancing years I can learn new things.
Last post by SiL - Today at 01:22:20 AM
Don't set it to Made for Kids unless you're making actual kids content.
Last post by SM - Today at 01:17:42 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Yesterday at 11:12:46 PMBut why are the comments turned off though?

How about now?  It's possibly because I set it to Made For Kids cos there was no gore or swearing. Just changed it.

Quote from: SiL on Yesterday at 11:14:54 PMThe saltiness has damaged my kidneys, but it's a small price to pay.

I actually had to tweak it a smidge because it was a bit dishonestly salty and add the caption about Fria Ligan.
General Film/TV Discussion / Re: Shogun (FX)
Last post by Cougerboy - Today at 01:11:05 AM
Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Yesterday at 08:28:43 AMQuite happy, that the whole (no chemistry) thing between Blackthorne and Mariko is not in the center of the show...it felt much more prominent in the old show. Felt like they moved screentime from that to Mariko (such a good actress) and scenes not including Blackthorne, good decision. Excellent episode, once again.

Spoiler
Guess that's the end for a potential spinoff Blackthorne & Yabushige buddy tv series, that sneaky little bastard. Though, it's in his nature. You can't be mad at him. 
[close]

Anna Sawai is a great actress. I think you agree with me her performance in Shogun as Mariko is excellent. She deserves to win an Emmy.

Also, when Mariko says a flower is only a flower when it falls off to Ochiba, not only is that poetic, but there are several layers of meaning to that phrase. One one layer, Mariko as the metaphor for the flower is only valuable when she choose to do what she needs to do for Toranaga. On another layer, its an observation of the transient nature of beauty and life, a very Buddhist philosophical worldview. Remember, Japanese culture is highly influenced by Buddhism (and Zen Budhhism at that), many in the samurai class were devoted Buddhists. Buddhism believe that nothing is truly permanent or everlasting. Including flowers and the beauty of youth, they don't last. So to try and hold onto impermanence is the wrong path. Thus Mariko accepts that since human existence isn't permanent, why not do something truly worthwhile for the future of Japan.
@Kradan ^

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 18, 2021, 05:02:15 PMCan't stand him. Especially his face. For me it embodies the mixture of arrogance and utter stupidity

Spoiler
[close]
General Film/TV Discussion / Re: James Bond
Last post by ace3g - Today at 12:47:56 AM
AI Henry Cavill James Bond trailer

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed