Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,324 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 24, 2016, 07:03:18 PM
There was a video interview he did several months ago, where he very openly said 'Alien' is his favourite in the series and that 'Alien Isolation' has had a direct and strong influence on how he visualises this project's presentation.

He even went so far as to seek out and recruit at least one of Alien: Isolation's concept artists.

Dan

I think it dont really matter if they retcon A3 or AR or they just say its still canon just alternative timelined.
It will feels like they happened because we have seen A3 and Res as much as the first two.
When Ripley  Hicks  first appears on screen in A5 i think that will feels like something happened but those events are not included so that will feels strange.
This will make A3 and AR feels like dreams.

Dan

I think it dont really matter if they retcon A3 or AR or they just say its still canon just alternative timelined.
It will feels like they happened because we have seen A3 and Res as much as the first two.
When Ripley  Hicks  first appears on screen in A5 i think that will feels like something happened but those events are not included so that will feels strange.
This will make A3 and AR feels like dreams.

acrediblesource

What really doesn't matter is whether they have Alien androids or ripley or Hicks or photoreal CGI aliens. It's a matter of whether they DIRECT it right or will it look great.
Suddenly we have CGI to replace everything and everyone and you could make it, but the question lays whether or not it will be a great movie. Expectations. If it's an Avatar, then we will for sure wait plenty for the next movie because although it's a great story, there is not enough interest in the ideas put forth to justify a movie. Alien is  a horror genre. They barely made enough money off of the AVP sequels and you know AVP is FAN FAP.

System Apollo

The AvP films combined generated 200 million in revenue.
That's enough to make 4 more AvP movies  :laugh:

Killahawke1

"Weaver said that the script has "everything fans want." Except for one thing......we want the movie to be made! Please stop delaying this movie. Dont let what happened in Star Wars happen to Ripley. Dragging poor old and frail looking Princess Leia out in front of the camera forever banishing Slave girl princess Leia from our thoughts and minds.

Kronnang_Dunn

Most people here are forgetting something... this is Neil Blomkamp. Is not some wanna be fresh new director. Guy now knows his stuff and his CGI is always sober and photorealistic, while the designs in his films are pretty awesome and feasible looking and neat. An Alien film by him would make wonders to the franchise...  8)

SiL

His effects are good, but his stories leave a lot to be desired. That's way, way more important.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 24, 2016, 06:34:36 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 24, 2016, 05:31:43 AM
Performing fan service is what got us AvPR.

Stick to writing a good story, not jerking off the audience.
Amen. Openly saying your movie will have "fan service" doesn't instill me with confidence.

I think "fan service" is considered one of those buzzwords that's supposed to generate hype. They don't realize it's actually quite the opposite now-a-days.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 24, 2016, 07:43:35 AM
This is awesome news!  James Cameron thinks Blomkoamp's script is amazing!!!  That's the biggest endorsement one could receive.  Finally we're going to get the movie that should have been made!  I hope Cameron  is a producer!

After his endorsement of Terminator Genesys, that endorsement is worth pretty much nothing.

Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 24, 2016, 09:39:20 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Jul 24, 2016, 04:10:17 AM
and also stated that AvP was better then Alien 3 and A:R.

Where did he say this?

IIRC it came up in those articles asking about his opinions on AVP. I think they're on YouTube.

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jul 24, 2016, 10:21:14 AM
A film that starts in the mind as a fan service can not be good.
I mean... Paul W.S. Anderson and Strauses brother.
Blomkamp's turn now.

I still think it's important to point out that the film didn't start as this fan service retcon reboot angle. That came as a result of chatting to Weaver. Who knows how the story has changed over that.

Quote from: System Apollo on Jul 24, 2016, 05:47:29 PM
My gripe isn't that they are rewriting Alien 3 and Rez, it's that they are bringing back decrepid actors to reprise their roles.

I would be equally if not more disappointed if they did that with Arnie in The Predator.

I think that's a little unfair. We don't know how they're going to be used in the films.

Quote from: Kronnang_Dunn on Jul 25, 2016, 05:08:27 AM
Most people here are forgetting something... this is Neil Blomkamp. Is not some wanna be fresh new director. Guy now knows his stuff and his CGI is always sober and photorealistic, while the designs in his films are pretty awesome and feasible looking and neat. An Alien film by him would make wonders to the franchise...  8)

Quote from: SiL on Jul 25, 2016, 05:39:34 AM
His effects are good, but his stories leave a lot to be desired. That's way, way more important.

Undoubtedly it's going to look gorgeous and I'm really curious to see how his Aliens look. However, as SiL says Blomkamp's strength in his stories isn't great. He has acknowledged it as being a weakness though so hopefully he's not been working on Alien 3.2 on his own.

Kel G 426

QuoteMy gripe isn't that they are rewriting Alien 3 and Rez, it's that they are bringing back decrepid actors to reprise their roles.

I would be equally if not more disappointed if they did that with Arnie in The Predator.

I've seen a ton of these type of comments. Why is ageism so acceptable here?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

To be honest, "fan service" isn't something I want to hear. Every film that's gone big on fan service lately has had almost nothing else of any substance to it.

Also, as Hicks quite rightly says, people losing their shit over the fact Cameron apparently likes it really need to remember that he quite emphatically said the same thing about Terminator Genisys, which was total ass.

System Apollo

QuoteI think that's a little unfair. We don't know how they're going to be used in the films.
That's a very strong point. The only thing I have as response to it is that I just inherented this sentiment after Genesys and Independence Day 2.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 25, 2016, 04:08:50 PM
Also, as Hicks quite rightly says, people losing their shit over the fact Cameron apparently likes it really need to remember that he quite emphatically said the same thing about Terminator Genisys, which was total ass.

He'd also be a bit biased towards Blomkamp's script since it is bringing his dead characters back.

Doggo33

Well, innovative is good but fan service... oh dear, that makes me lose hope.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 25, 2016, 09:53:32 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 25, 2016, 04:08:50 PM

He'd also be a bit biased towards Blomkamp's script since it is bringing his dead characters back.

Well, James Cameron created iconic characters in Aliens.  There were only a few of them left at the end of the film and then the next director wiped everyone away.  Cameron was the only director and plot writer who was insulted on a deep level in the franchise by having literally everything he built up destroyed.  So you can understand why he supports the vision and the characters he built up.  I'm just disappointed that Cameron is not at the helm of the next Aliens film, but if Blomkamp wants to do a proper homage to Aliens, then I am all for it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed