"[Alien Romulus] joins the prequel series"

Started by DavidIsDaddy, Mar 06, 2023, 06:28:33 AM

Author
"[Alien Romulus] joins the prequel series" (Read 20,885 times)

TomT

TomT

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 09, 2023, 02:45:03 PMThanks Valaquen.

Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 01:56:41 PMIdk, we have quotes were he implies he dislikes Aliens and quotes where he claims he really liked it. And he also claimed he haven't seen any of them during Covenant press tour. Ridley is a pathological liar, maybe that's just age, but I wouldn't trust his quotes anyway, who knows what he actually thinks privately.

Paul M. Sammon and Empire are pretty solid sources. Still waiting for your's...
https://de.ign.com/ridley-scott/126270/news/alien-keine-xenomorphe-mehr-fur-ridley-scott
Here's, found it, second half of the interview.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 09, 2023, 03:04:25 PMNot a maybe, it was a big reason. Blomkamp's name doesn't sell as many tickets as a Ridley Scott does. And it was known as "his" franchise internally, so business-wise it made sense to the money spenders that the guy who helped father the franchise would continue the it. This is after the mixed reaction to Prometheus too. They were still stuck on the Ridley name.
I see your point and I agree, but Ridley still influenced that decision and it's no secret, he's a big guy at Fox. I think Cameron could've saved it since he's also a big guy at Fox and it was a sequel to his film, but he doesn't care and I doubt Blomkamp asked him for help, maybe he should have and promise him to attach Arnold since it was the only reason he was attached to Dark Fate and praised Genesys.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 03:23:43 PM
Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 03:23:43 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 09, 2023, 02:45:03 PMThanks Valaquen.

Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 01:56:41 PMIdk, we have quotes were he implies he dislikes Aliens and quotes where he claims he really liked it. And he also claimed he haven't seen any of them during Covenant press tour. Ridley is a pathological liar, maybe that's just age, but I wouldn't trust his quotes anyway, who knows what he actually thinks privately.

Paul M. Sammon and Empire are pretty solid sources. Still waiting for your's...
https://de.ign.com/ridley-scott/126270/news/alien-keine-xenomorphe-mehr-fur-ridley-scott
Here's, found it, second half of the interview.

Scott is obviously refering to the comics and games when he says he has not seen them. He clearly has seen all the Alien films.

Also no mention of him hating any of the Alien sequels in that interview.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 09, 2023, 07:47:32 PMScott is obviously refering to the comics and games when he says he has not seen them.
He was very specifically asked about movies, including Resurrection, let's not make excuses for him or pretend he didn't mean that, he could've said that he's seen only movies and expressed his opinion, but he didn't, he generalized all of it as "haven't seen them, so I can't comment".

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 09, 2023, 07:47:32 PMHe clearly has seen all the Alien films.
Of course he's seen them, he's just lying. Ridley lied many times about many things.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 09, 2023, 07:47:32 PMAlso no mention of him hating any of the Alien sequels in that interview.
I said that he implied that and recalled the quote pretty closely to what he said, he did imply that in his reply "I tend not to look at things that I think are gonna be bullshit".

SiL

Scott says "Most ... I haven't seen them, so I can't comment".

It's a vague non-answer.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, the guy asked him whether he has seen all the Alien sequels, comics, games and "Alien 4"[sic] with "all the Ripley clones".

Also got to love how he just straight up asks Scott about his alleged feud with Blomkamp, with all the delicacy of a raging bull in a china shop.

BlueMarsalis79

More interviewers should have less subtlety.

DavidIsDaddy

Wow, this post really got away from me! Haha I posted this topic and went on vacation for a week at so far at Disney World (no Xenos spotted yet) and cruelly timed my vacation for when Romulus started filming so I can't be glued to the internet for any tasty morels.

I am aware, as it was pointed out, thatnthe original source I linked wasn't the outlet that BROKE the story and cited it as "joining the prequels", I apologize for not properly looking into that.

But as it has been pointed out by others making the "Prey" comparison:

I have long-thought since this project was fast-tracked by Disney that it was going to do two thinks very intentionally:

-Act as a 'reset' by giving audiences a stand-alone story to reenergize the brand which had been given a rough go of things since Covenant didn't exactly line Fox's bank

-Act as a "well maybe..." optional door for Ridley who Disney inherited from the merger and would probably love to brag about bringing him back for one "major" Alien movie, as this and the series are being guided by his influence at least enough that his name has been floated around with it.

I anticipate that Romulus will have some connective tissue to Covenant and the prequels, enough so that long-time fans can have something to appreciate and enough that new fans can go "ohhh, I should watch ____", better buy the new Disney box set.

Also, with the Marvel comics (and 20th Studio / Disney novels) playing with Prequel-adjacent things such as the black goo and name-drops of David / Walter / The Prometheus etc I think it's safe to assume that The Mouse is attempting to really give everything a sense of consistency.

CainsSon

I think there is a very obvious and fan-friendly film to be made between Alien and Aliens and for whatever reason no one has touched this period.

SiL

"Between Alien and Aliens" and "fan friendly" don't necessarily go together. Plenty of us hate the idea.

Local Trouble

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 30, 2023, 03:53:39 AMI think there is a very obvious and fan-friendly film to be made between Alien and Aliens and for whatever reason no one has touched this period.

What, like Out of the Shadows? :laugh:

SiL

And before anyone chimes in with Isolation; yes, that too.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Just give me a good standalone movie, connected to nothing. No 'Ripley's cousin twice-removed', (or brand-x Ripley's for that matter, we get it, dark haired strong white female characters are great..it doesnt have to be a stipulation to beating the alien anymore 😂) no more "it's the android" (a bit of variety/originality in the 40th anniversary shorts wouldn't have went amis) or Weyland Yutani being reduced to The big bad Umbrella Corporation that sees and knows all and orchestrates everything. I don't even care for any engineer answers at this point - let's just have a damn good 'classic' Alien movie, with the original trilogy aesthetics, in the horror genre, more practical effects over cgi, and less blanket green-tint colour grading splashed on top of standard Netflix-esque sci-fi show of the week Earth-like setting for budgetary constraints. (I know, this is asking too much). 😅

Still Collating...

Quote from: SiL on Mar 30, 2023, 10:06:38 AMAnd before anyone chimes in with Isolation; yes, that too.

Wait, so people argue that having so many aliens after Alien 3 cheapens Ripley's sacrifice and doesn't fit in with A:R, few people really want aliens after A:R period unfortunately, people think the prequels messed things up, and now even having events between Alien and Aliens is a no-go?
I'm not saying following any more Ripleys, but Isolation was great in spite of the family connection.

But I ask this not jokingly, are you SiL against all of the EU then? When would you put a new film?

BlueMarsalis79

After Resurrection or before Alien probably, as that would be my vote.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 30, 2023, 12:55:42 PMAfter Resurrection or before Alien probably, as that would be my vote.

I think before Alien is a good vote all considered - just not in the way the prequels did it 😊 I'd like to go back to space being this vast, dark, foreboding and isolating place, the mystery of finding something we don't understand and unleashing an ancient horror from god-knows where. Even in Aliens, space started to feel small (I don't want to feel like every ship is just a fortnight away, a gazillion terraformed planets with breathable earth-like conditions, or focus on the xeno being a lab animal). For me personally, when it comes to an Alien movie,space should be vast and terrifying, contrasted by our protection/sanctuary from it being small and claustrophobic. I don't care to see full-on Xenomorph running across open spaces in full cgi glory (as we saw in Covenant) just because we can.. I'd much prefer those brief obscured shots we got in the original trilogy and let our minds fill in the blanks (the shot of the alien raising to stand full heigh obscured by the over the shoulder view from behind Lambert for example, the aliens in the ceiling as Hicks lifts the cover to peer inside, the alien head coming into view to peer down at the prisoner climbing the ladder, etc) - more terror and less 'space Jurassic Park' (if that makes sense?) 😅

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed