Aliens: Fireteam Elite OST w/Commentary

Started by Engineer, Feb 01, 2023, 01:27:41 AM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite OST w/Commentary (Read 1,600 times)

Engineer

I found this link via Aliens: Fireteam Elite's official Twitter account.

I've never seen an OST with commentary like this before! Super cool concept! I'd love to see more of this sort of thing with other OSTs!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3fh1baT_g&fbclid=IwAR0h_aBVtKEr-lYFYKXCqrM1MUaEgs4Kys28zQxmdnVeklivrMJyjo3CD2M

BlueMarsalis79

Embedded version.

I absolutely love this, especially detailing where the influences from Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and Elliott Goldenthal fall in places, it is a beautiful concoction that I honestly find infinitely more listenable outside of the intended context than the main film motif it is licensed on.

Engineer

I honestly hate this soundtrack lol (fireteam elite's) I think it's annoying af
But the concept of a soundtrack commentary is f**kin awesome!

Wweyland

It gets repetitive because the game is repetitive and favors grinding.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 22, 2023, 04:53:22 AMI honestly hate this soundtrack lol (fireteam elite's) I think it's annoying af

I have heard this from a couple folk and yourself, people seem to have a marmite reaction to this score, probably why it did not win the Grammy and the absolutely yawn worthy Valhalla did instead.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 22, 2023, 04:53:22 AMI honestly hate this soundtrack lol (fireteam elite's) I think it's annoying af

Me too. As a professional composer/music producer myself, I also find it extremely annoying. I can appreciate that it's well made and has concrete inspiration (having a commentary is a lovely idea for soundtracks), but the final results are off-putting to me honestly. I agree with Wweyland that the repetitiveness and grind mechanics of the game do bear some of the fault there. It's too noticeable and doesn't jive well with the type of gameplay that we have in the game.

It's neither subtle enough to be just complementary atmospherics to the setting, but on the other hand the themes aren't interesting or long enough to be forgiven for their repetition. I adore all of the soundtracks from the first 4 films, even from the prequels. Alien 3's is my favorite, while the track from Aliens is my least loved, but still great (just a lot more subtle and less memorable, less melodic, more rythmec but works perfectly in the film).

I appreciate the soudntracks from the other games a lot more. Alien Isolation has a fantastic track that fits in perfectly for the game beats. AvP 2010 has great tracks, a lot more subtle but suits the game well. Even ACM has a nice track as it evolves the vibe from Aliens. Though the weird xeno gurgles that appear in the main menu track are silly and off-putting.   

Engineer

You know what I dislike the most? The main title sequence track. The winds make me want to drive a screwdriver through my ear canals and twist... that would sound better...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed