Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,310 times)

Perfect-Organism

Can't wait for this film!

Master

Be patient. If it ever happens, it won't be soon.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 30, 2016, 03:13:04 AM
Let's hope it doesn't

1,000% wholeheartedly hope it doesn't happen or it is replaced by a much better idea without RIpley, Hicks n' Newt in it.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 30, 2016, 04:34:40 PM
Let's hope it doesn't

1,000% wholeheartedly hope it doesn't happen or it is replaced by a much better idea without RIpley, Hicks n' Newt in it.

H8ers

SpreadEagleBeagle

Let's hope it doesn't

I mean, I just don't get why they have to bring Hicks and Newt back? It's blatant Aliens fanboy service that will just make the Alien franchise lose even more integrity.

A:R pretty much opened up for an entirely new chapter with endless possibilities. It just boggles my mind that no one is giving it a try and would rather hack up the continuity and brutally shoehorn fanboy favorites back into some contrived new story line just because.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 30, 2016, 08:09:15 PM
Let's hope it doesn't

I mean, I just don't get why they have to bring Hicks and Newt back? It's blatant Aliens fanboy service that will just make the Alien franchise lose even more integrity.

A:R pretty much opened up for an entirely new chapter with endless possibilities. It just boggles my mind that no one is giving it a try and would rather hack up the continuity and brutally shoehorn fanboy favorites back into some contrived new story line just because.

Because most people loved those characters and that doesn't even take into account the fanboys.  Besides, there just weren't as many A3 or A:R fanboys, so why appease them?  The Alien franchise has been trying to find its bearings since the debacle of Alien 3, and finally somebody with a grain of common sense decided to pick up the story at the point where it was still good.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 08:15:48 PM
Let's hope it doesn't

Because most people loved those characters and that doesn't even take into account the fanboys.  Besides, there just weren't as many A3 or A:R fanboys, so why appease them?  The Alien franchise has been trying to find its bearings since the debacle of Alien 3, and finally somebody with a grain of common sense decided to pick up the story at the point where it was still good.

A3's fanbase is growing, thank you, and more and more people admit that it got a lot of undeserved flack. I can assure you that most people don't give a crap about Hicks & Newt outside the Alien community and will only find it confusing and campy with this retcon stuff.

To me the story line was good at the end of ALIEN and then it flat-lined until A3 picked it up. Why not retcon ALIENS and then make a retcon story that patches ALIEN and A3 together? That's my A3 fanboy equivalency to what Blomkampf is doing. IT's moronic.

Seriously, A:R really opened up for so many possibilities and there is are a few Alien sequels waiting there to be made.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 30, 2016, 08:30:03 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 08:15:48 PM
Let's hope it doesn't

A3's fanbase is growing, thank you, and more and more people admit that it got a lot of undeserved flack. I can assure you that most people don't give a crap about Hicks & Newt outside the Alien community and will only find it confusing and campy with this retcon stuff.

To me the story line was good at the end of ALIEN and then it flat-lined until A3 picked it up. Why not retcon ALIENS and then make a retcon story that patches ALIEN and A3 together? That's my A3 fanboy equivalency to what Blomkampf is doing. IT's moronic.

Seriously, A:R really opened up for so many possibilities and there is are a few Alien sequels waiting there to be made.

You're just trying to be some sort of alternative hipster there.  Aliens is a vastly superior film to A3.  Aliens redefined science fiction as much as Alien did.  People do remember those characters outside of the Aliens fanbase, and if they're forgetting it's because of Alien 3 and most of what came after it.  Sure Alien 3 's fanbase is growing.  It's not a bad film.  But it could have and will be so much better.

Go Blomkamp!

The Alien Predator

EXACTLY, Beagle!

This is what myself, Windebieste and many others have been saying on the forum, A:R has opened up other possibilities and you can easily have your Ripley in it without it mucking up the timeline.

We also say that Alien is such a huge universe, it's not solely about Ripley's struggle, it's about humanity's struggle against this galactic terror as a whole. The human race has many more people just like Ripley, ready to stare into this nightmare and refuse to blink.

Why limit it to her? It gets silly. It gets coincidental and it makes the Alien look ridiculous when it can't even kill this one person that keeps constantly outmanoeuvring it.

A:3 gave us this "HOLY SHIT" moment, it shows us no one is safe, not even main characters. A:R gave us another insight, that Ripley has been ripped (no pun intended) out of the comfort of death and forced to face this nightmare once more.

It has potential to be so great, so much can be explored and so many new characters can be expanded upon and fleshed out.

Perfect-Organism

Alien Predator, do you even see how you've contradicted yourself?

The silly thing that happened was a completely improbabe Alien encounter between Ripley and the Aliens in Alien 3.  That begat an even more improbable encounter.  And that is why we are sick of Ripley.  She was in one bad story after another.  If Alien 3 and A:R didn't happen you'd be saying her story wasn't explored enough.  Now is the right time to ignore those travesties and finish off her story with something more interesting, and then, I agree with you, we should move on to other characters.

It is most probable that Ripley wouldn't encounter the aliens for another 2 or three decades after ALIENS, or at least until the home-world is discovered.  Once that happens, it is probable that Ripley does everything she can to sabotage man's quest to weaponize the aliens.  That is such a better movie waiting to happen.

g2vd

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:05:27 PMAnd that is why we are sick of Ripley.
Are you literally speaking for everyone?

NO. the majority of us are burned out on the character because she's been the spotlight of FOUR movies and tons of EU stuff.

We want something new. For We Are Many.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: g2vd on Aug 30, 2016, 09:15:43 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:05:27 PMAnd that is why we are sick of Ripley.
Are you literally speaking for everyone?

NO. the majority of us are burned out on the character because she's been the spotlight of FOUR movies and tons of EU stuff.

We want something new. For We Are Many.

LOL, I'm definitely not speaking for everyone.  In fact, I for one am not sick of Ripley.  I'm sick of her ending up in ridiculous films that just shouldn't have been.

You are many, LOL.  Neither you nor I can quantify just how many, so who really knows?  But I am pretty sure that the number of people out there including casual fans or even non-fans would prefer the retcon, so all these vocal people who are trying to prevent it from happening are the Alien 3 fanboys and they don't represent the majority.  Why?  Because that's common sense.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:05:27 PM

The silly thing that happened was a completely improbabe Alien encounter between Ripley and the Aliens in Alien 3.  That begat an even more improbable encounter.  And that is why we are sick of Ripley.  She was in one bad story after another.  If Alien 3 and A:R didn't happen you'd be saying her story wasn't explored enough.  Now is the right time to ignore those travesties and finish off her story with something more interesting, and then, I agree with you, we should move on to other characters.

It is most probable that Ripley wouldn't encounter the aliens for another 2 or three decades after ALIENS, or at least until the home-world is discovered.  Once that happens, it is probable that Ripley does everything she can to sabotage man's quest to weaponize the aliens.  That is such a better movie waiting to happen.

It's not an improbable encounter.

In Alien, she finds them by chance.

In Aliens, after hesitating, she decides to go back to where she found them.

Now knowing Aliens, they always have a nasty trick. Alien snuck upon the Nostromo, Aliens, the Queen snuck aboard the Sulaco via the dropship.

Alien 3, she also snuck aboard an egg. I am aware that people were pointing out that the egg is in some awkward corner in a ceiling somewhere right near the cryo-pods but that doesn't get in my way of enjoying the film. It's still a decent film with memorable moments and quite a fan base.

Then Resurrection has her literally ripped out of death just so they can get the Alien within her DNA. Some EU sources do state the Facehugger gives its victim a type of cancer which helps form the Xeno, cancer alters DNA (or so I've heard) so it makes sense why they'd clone her to get the Queen.

So as you can see, she's been showing up in so many films that like g2vd said, we're starting to get burned out.

I mean, come on, even you weren't happy with Covenant just having a relative of RIpley. I think I remember you weren't happy with it, neither was I. It's like either Ellen or her family are cursed with this, and it's getting silly now. With Amanda it made some sense as she was heading out to look for her mother, but jeeze, now her grandma also had an encounter... *sigh*

Oh yeah, I forgot that in Sea of Sorrows, a descendant of Ripley's also had an encounter.

God... it's like, so long as your name's not "RIpley", and you're nowhere near ANY Ripley, you should be fine in this universe.  ;D

Kurai

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:29:24 PM
You are many, LOL.  Neither you nor I can quantify just how many, so who really knows?  But I am pretty sure that the number of people out there including casual fans or even non-fans would prefer the retcon, so all these vocal people who are trying to prevent it from happening are the Alien 3 fanboys and they don't represent the majority.  Why?  Because that's common sense.

Well...

So far, according to the poll, more people want a new story without Ripley or with Ripley 8 instead. :P
Yes, this only accounts for 26 people, but it seems to go against your common sense. 73.1% of those 26 people on THIS forum want something other than Blomkamp's Alien 5.

It also sets a bad example for holywood, I swear I read somewhere that one of the other Marines who died in Aliens has come up to say he'd be good for reprising his role, I think it was Hudson... But as I've said many times, it throws out integrity. It's like if Game of Thrones started resurrecting chara... Ah... Wait... Dagnabbit!  ::)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Kurai on Aug 30, 2016, 09:46:45 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:29:24 PM

Well...

So far, according to the poll, more people want a new story without Ripley or with Ripley 8 instead. :P
Yes, this only accounts for 26 people, but it seems to go against your common sense. 73.1% of those 26 people on THIS forum want something other than Blomkamp's Alien 5.

It also sets a bad example for holywood, I swear I read somewhere that one of the other Marines who died in Aliens has come up to say he'd be good for reprising his role, I think it was Hudson... But as I've said many times, it throws out integrity. It's like if Game of Thrones started resurrecting chara... Ah... Wait... Dagnabbit!  ::)

Well, it's exactly what you said.  26 people polled, tells you nothing about the overall appeal of the series to the broad population.

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 30, 2016, 09:34:21 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:05:27 PM

It's not an improbable encounter.

In Alien, she finds them by chance.

In Aliens, after hesitating, she decides to go back to where she found them.

Now knowing Aliens, they always have a nasty trick. Alien snuck upon the Nostromo, Aliens, the Queen snuck aboard the Sulaco via the dropship.

Alien 3, she also snuck aboard an egg. I am aware that people were pointing out that the egg is in some awkward corner in a ceiling somewhere right near the cryo-pods but that doesn't get in my way of enjoying the film. It's still a decent film with memorable moments and quite a fan base.

Then Resurrection has her literally ripped out of death just so they can get the Alien within her DNA. Some EU sources do state the Facehugger gives its victim a type of cancer which helps form the Xeno, cancer alters DNA (or so I've heard) so it makes sense why they'd clone her to get the Queen.

So as you can see, she's been showing up in so many films that like g2vd said, we're starting to get burned out.

I mean, come on, even you weren't happy with Covenant just having a relative of RIpley. I think I remember you weren't happy with it, neither was I. It's like either Ellen or her family are cursed with this, and it's getting silly now. With Amanda it made some sense as she was heading out to look for her mother, but jeeze, now her grandma also had an encounter... *sigh*

Oh yeah, I forgot that in Sea of Sorrows, a descendant of Ripley's also had an encounter.

God... it's like, so long as your name's not "RIpley", and you're nowhere near ANY Ripley, you should be fine in this universe.  ;D

Well, somebody had to discover the alien first.   ::)

If we are talking about a retcon, then we are no longer talking about 4 films with Ripley plus another one.  We would be talking about 2 films, where it completely made sense that Ripley was there, and a third one.  That's only 3 films.

I totally agree with you that shoehorning Ripley wherever possible is dumb though.  If Ripley's parents are on the Covenant ship, that will be  anew level of stupid.  Sea of Sorrows was ridiculous exactly for the reasons which you mentioned.  Out of the Shadows saving grace was the sheer fact that it was written so well.  But that's it.  Other than that, the idea that Ripley has an adventure between Alien and Aliens, is trash.

I could live with an Amanda Ripley adventure.  But again it is simply because Alien Isolation was done so well.  Well what if Blomkamp's film actually turns out to be on that level of good?  It's possible.  Believe me, I am as skeptical as everyone, but I think Blomkamp is worth the risk.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed