Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 65,301 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Sep 06, 2018, 01:25:43 AM
They each have their own stories.  Defiance is Zula's story; Isolation is Amanda's story.  Why does the black woman have to be the "back-up character"?

And it wasn't a short random encounter - they became friends and she helped Amanda out on tech jobs while she was doing rehab at Luna.

You had to go there. ::)

There were no racial undertones to what I was saying, but rather the fact that Ripley is a name that is established in the series as a central character.  That is why she would be a main character if the series were to include both characters prominently.

The way it is, is contrived as most people say.  Perhaps there were plans to give Ripley a greater central role?  It seems that the story suffered from the same issue as the original Aliens: Colonial Marines series, whereby the series had a direction, and then held way through the ship sailed in a different direction leaving fans puzzled.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the novel, and hope that it features the story from the game but expands it significantly..

SM

What was puzzling about the direction if Defiance?

Perfect-Organism

Zula and her team of Rogue robots were bravely leading a resistance to the military's quest for Alien acquisition.  They dropped this mission on a dime and surrendered.

There was a build-up, and a promise of a grand resistance which anticlimactically gave up the ghost.

A good story features an arc for a character which starts on one value and progresses into another value.  Effectively, Zula's story started up the arc, and came right back down without ever crossing the apex.

Ironb4lls

Ironb4lls

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 01, 2018, 04:11:19 PM
An audio drama of a game where the primary objective is to stay as silent as possible...?

:P

It's funny when you put it that way. But think of it more as an audio drama of a game that won major awards for incredible sound design.

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Sep 01, 2018, 09:30:59 AM
No sequel please. Too many entries between Alien and Aliens is rather spoiling things IMO. Just flesh out the characters from the game more.

In actual fact is quite like to see the fall of Sevastopol in a bit more depth. Plenty of scope for sub plots with Ransome and the covert WY takeover.

This. I'd love to see a limited series on Netflix or Hulu or whatever, that's all about the people on the station. The series could open with the Anesidora's arrival at Sevastopol, which would be a great way to introduce the various conflicts between Waits, Marlow, Ransome, and Lingard. We'd get to know a family on the station - maybe it's that guy whose wife is named Claire, or maybe it's from the POV of the reporter, Julie Jones. The gradual collapse of civil order, the formation of factions, and the rapid deterioration of the relationships between crew members would make for interesting TV even without the presence of a murderous alien. The final few episodes' arc would cover the events from the game itself, culminating in the big finale, though hopefully a little more fleshed out.

Plus, it'd be fun to bring back William Hope as Waits, and maybe some of the other cast members.

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 06, 2018, 02:31:51 PM
Zula and her team of Rogue robots were bravely leading a resistance to the military's quest for Alien acquisition.  They dropped this mission on a dime and surrendered.

There was a build-up, and a promise of a grand resistance which anticlimactically gave up the ghost.

A good story features an arc for a character which starts on one value and progresses into another value.  Effectively, Zula's story started up the arc, and came right back down without ever crossing the apex.

One rogue robot.

They dropped the mission when Zula's pain became unmanageable and their ship was falling to bits.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Sep 06, 2018, 08:21:35 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 06, 2018, 02:31:51 PM

One rogue robot.

They dropped the mission when Zula's pain became unmanageable and their ship was falling to bits.
You can rationalize it in the plot, but it doesn't make it less of an anticlimax. It's not like these events randomly happened in a vacuum; the writer was in control every step of the way. He could have, you know, not made Zula's pain unbearable, or whatever.

Like, if the point of the second half of the series was to demonstrate the futility of defiance because something will always happen to derail it and make it fall flat, then uh, mission accomplished I guess? ???

Perfect-Organism

That about sums it up.  Believe me, I wish it were otherwise, because the series starts off great and I was looking forward with anticipation to every issue, but, thud!  It all fell flat on the end..

SM

SM

Whether it's anticlimactic or not is a personal opinion, which is fair enough.  I found Hollis' fate pretty unsatisfying, after the great stuff of her removing the Queen.  But that was only really the last issue or two.

The story, however, wasn't puzzling.  Zula lost this round, but the final panels indicated her fight wasn't over.

The Old One

The Old One

If the story is continued, in a spiritual successor or literally- I hope Tristan Jones is in charge.

& We never see something as bland as "the terrorists" ever again, what a wasted opportunity for something new and interesting aesthetically and conceptually.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Sep 06, 2018, 08:21:35 PMThey dropped the mission when Zula's pain became unmanageable and their ship was falling to bits.

As Xenomrph said, they may have justified it, but that didn't stop it feeling any less like an abrupt u-turn in the story. I have no idea if it's actually the case, but it definitely felt to me like they suddenly changed plans - and binned off the ongoing story as a result.

The fact Extravehicular ended up having nothing to do with the main comic would seem to back that up.

SM

Based on what I've read, I don't think that's the case.

gabgrave

What's the deal with the Defiance Alien anyway? It's only ever on the covers, and never actually shown in the story, just the normal alien types.

Ultramorph

The Defiance Praetorian appears in one of the early issues, #2 I believe, and it's implied it basically does eggmorphing.

HuDaFuK

Didn't Tristan get ordered to alter it? That's why it looked different between the print and digital editions.

Russ840

Yeah. In extravehicular it was originally the Bog Chap and then he had to alter the design. It's seems that big chap was off the table due to Covenant.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed