The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 16, 2018, 12:30:59 PM

Author
The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread (Read 136,468 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Look, first of all, I have to admit that AvP (the movie) holds very special place in my heart. I absolutely love Scar, I love Preds in that movie 'cause they were the first Preds 4 years old me had ever seen - years before I saw first Predator movie. As years went by and I got to see other movies I started to notice that AvP Preds look more humanised and kinda relatable. But I've never found them to look terrible. Same with AvPR - first time I'd seen Wolf. I thought: "Wow, that one nasty Predator ! And these mandibles are huge ! " I was amazed - not disgusted. I don't think I can really objectively judge these designs, I'm definetly biased in that matter 'cause of effect AvP had on me. But I'm gonna be that guy and say that no fan really can. To judge it objectively IMO you have to a) have proper education in that matter and b) to be emotionally detached from the creature you're talking about. I think, the first time pretty much every one of us who saw Predator (no matter what movie exactly it was) thought: "Wow, that's one cool looking monster". I doubt anyone have thought - "Ah, what a nicely designed creature. Look at this paintjob, at this texture, at all its armoury. Very, very nice". Nobody was thinking of how proffesionally the costume was made at that moment. All these technical things we learn much latter. At the end of the day, It's that truly child-like amazement that sparks fandom in us and that's stays with us for the rest of our lives. And that first impression definetly plays part in how we see certain things as years go by and something new and different comes out. So, I believe that you criticising Crabators is as biased in that matter as I'm defending them

To answer your question - yes, I see them as high quality. I don't think they're lower quality than Stan Winston's ones (God, save my soul for saying that) - they're different. No, I'm not worried for a new company coming in - I would be as curious as you to see what new company would bring to the table. But I feel bad for ADI reading all these posts "Good riddance ADI, it was long time coming". I don't know anyone of them, never met them, never spoken to them, they don't even know of my existence. But from what I know of them, what I've heard they seem to be nice guys who love doing their job and passionate about it. That's just the person I am - I tend to stand up for the whipping boy. I guess, that's why I like Alien 3, The Predator or Dark Knight Rises

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 16, 2021, 06:00:08 PM
But I feel bad for ADI reading all these posts "Good riddance ADI, it was long time coming". I don't know anyone of them, never met them, never spoken to them, they don't even know of my existence. But from what I know of them, what I've heard they seem to be nice guys who love doing their job and passionate about it. That's just the person I am - I tend to stand up for the whipping boy. I guess, that's why I like Alien 3, The Predator or Dark Knight Rises

Yet you're silent for the "whipping boy" when it comes to the PredAlien, something ADI is demolished for much more than their Predators here. Or the Strause Brothers or AvPR for that matter. When I'm that lone voice liking the PredAlien, while it gets pummeled by almost everyone here, where are you my brother having this very same reaction like you do when people criticize their Predators?  :P

At least I'm consistent. I know hardly anyone likes it here, and I can accept that, but I still love me some ADI PredAlien just the same.  ;D

Kradan

Kradan

And what I'm not consistent with ? I'm consistent in liking ADI Preds. I've said that I tend to stand up for a whipping boy. Yes, but does it mean I have to stand for a whipping boy even if I don't like anything about him ? There's still something I find entertaining in Alien 3, The Predator of Dark Knight Rises. AvPR ? Not so much, I'm sorry. I really, really am. I would love to enjoy it as much as you do. As I would lovw you to enjoy The Predator as much as I do. I've tried to re-watch it on holidays but I just can't bring myself to do it. I just don't like it - at all. PredAlien ? Ok, I'll give you that - I don't defend it too much (I don't mind design too much though and for once not against dreadlocks). But from my point of view it doesn't need as much "defending" as ADI Preds. PredAlien appears in discussions occasionally, from time to time and goes back to the void. But ADI Preds, especially now, when that new Predator movie is coming out ? My, my, everybody and his dog uses the chance to say how awful they're and how much they hope ADI gets replaced

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 16, 2021, 06:32:45 PM
But ADI Preds, especially now, when that new Predator movie is coming out ? My, my, everybody and his dog uses the chance to say how awful they're and how much they hope ADI gets replaced

It's just how people feel. And just like it's fair for you to dislike AvPR and/or the ADI PredAlien, it's fair for others to dislike ADI Predators. Try not to let it bother you so much. That's the point I'm trying to make.  :)

And don't forget our cats!  ;)

Kradan

Kradan

And that's how I feel. It's fair if you don't like it - but I fully disagree it was done by lazy people with their hearts in the wrong place. It's not worse - it's different. You give a good advice - but it's hard, SO HARD to not be bothered when I check Predator-related threads and see everybody and his dog uses the chance to ... you get the point

What cats ?  :D

EDIT: Oh. I get it. I feel like cats don't give a f**k as long as they're fed

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 16, 2021, 06:19:59 PM
When I'm that lone voice liking the PredAlien, while it gets pummeled by almost everyone here, where are you my brother having this very same reaction like you do when people criticize their Predators?  :P

I'm here, that makes two !  ;)

SiL

SiL

I'm with Kradan - literally every Predator related thread turning into pages whining about "crabators" is incredibly obnoxious. Whether it's film threads, comic threads, game threads, book threads, or even general topics, you can't escape it. It's spam at this point.

Kradan

Thanks, SiL  :)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 16, 2021, 08:48:12 PM
I'm with Kradan - literally every Predator related thread turning into pages whining about "crabators" is incredibly obnoxious. Whether it's film threads, comic threads, game threads, book threads, or even general topics, you can't escape it. It's spam at this point.

The fine gentlemen known as Kradan uses the "crabators" phrase as much as everyone else lately, often in retort. Again, lately I've seen it used more than others than myself, including Kradan. He suggested that even I should challenge ADI on the topic in an upcoming podcast, something I didn't bring up nor condone, but replied to you both in regards to my views on such a situation.

"Crabators" has become short hand to encapsulate ADI's unique design of the Predator, and applicable Predator fans lack of satisfaction with the design. Lately I've often seen it used by Predator fans in relation to concerns related to the upcoming Skulls movie, and discussions ensue. It's all legitimate and not spam, and I would argue if anything qualifies more as whining, it's this recent post(s) I have been replying to lately in this very thread. But I prefer not to go that far. If it's about Predator design, Alien design, skulls, eggs and egg morphing or barfing, ... it's best if we use more positive descriptors than "whining" I think.

SiL

SiL

Exactly who's doing it is entirely besides the point. And why mince words? When it's incessant, repetitive, and unproductive, it's whining.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 16, 2021, 06:19:59 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 16, 2021, 06:00:08 PM
But I feel bad for ADI reading all these posts "Good riddance ADI, it was long time coming". I don't know anyone of them, never met them, never spoken to them, they don't even know of my existence. But from what I know of them, what I've heard they seem to be nice guys who love doing their job and passionate about it. That's just the person I am - I tend to stand up for the whipping boy. I guess, that's why I like Alien 3, The Predator or Dark Knight Rises

Yet you're silent for the "whipping boy" when it comes to the PredAlien, something ADI is demolished for much more than their Predators here. Or the Strause Brothers or AvPR for that matter. When I'm that lone voice liking the PredAlien, while it gets pummeled by almost everyone here, where are you my brother having this very same reaction like you do when people criticize their Predators?  :P

At least I'm consistent. I know hardly anyone likes it here, and I can accept that, but I still love me some ADI PredAlien just the same.  ;D

The Predalien is legitimately impressive, out of context. It's just f**kawful as an Alien design.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 16, 2021, 10:53:10 PM
The Predalien is legitimately impressive, out of context. It's just f**kawful as an Alien design.

Right on cue!  :)

Quote from: SiL on Feb 16, 2021, 10:47:32 PM
Exactly who's doing it is entirely besides the point. And why mince words? When it's incessant, repetitive, and unproductive, it's whining.

Uh, pot meet kettle then! Welcome to AvPGalaxy forums! ;D

[cancerblack]

Well of course you think you're the only one who appreciates it if you use me praising it, as evidence of people hating it.

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 16, 2021, 09:43:09 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 16, 2021, 08:48:12 PM

The fine gentlemen known as Kradan uses the "crabators" phrase as much as everyone else lately, often in retort. Again, lately I've seen it used more than others than myself, including Kradan. He suggested that even I should challenge ADI on the topic in an upcoming podcast, something I didn't bring up nor condone, but replied to you both in regards to my views on such a situation.

"Crabators" has become short hand to encapsulate ADI's unique design of the Predator, and applicable Predator fans lack of satisfaction with the design. Lately I've often seen it used by Predator fans in relation to concerns related to the upcoming Skulls movie, and discussions ensue. It's all legitimate and not spam, and I would argue if anything qualifies more as whining, it's this recent post(s) I have been replying to lately in this very thread. But I prefer not to go that far. If it's about Predator design, Alien design, skulls, eggs and egg morphing or barfing, ... it's best if we use more positive descriptors than "whining" I think.

There's a difference - fine gentleman known as Kradan uses term "crabators" not because he agrees with it's negative meaning but because its simple term which pretty much every member of AvPG knows at this point. So when I say "crabators" everybody understands - "ADI Predators".

And I stand by what I said about your inclusion on ADI interview - not necessarily because I agree with you on the matter but rather because it would be an opportunity for ADI to explain themselves. And it would've been an interesting fun discussion which I think even SiL who claims it would be cringe would be curious to listen

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 16, 2021, 11:41:51 PM
Well of course you think you're the only one who appreciates it if you use me praising it, as evidence of people hating it.

No, cue in regards to repeating ourselves which, I'm 200% guilty of, as in I heard you say this before. Plus you're one of my AvPR > AvP pals! 👍

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed