Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting?

Started by Frosty Venom, Sep 30, 2018, 07:21:54 AM

Which trio of films is better?

Prometheus, Alien Covenant and Alien
44 (52.4%)
Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection
40 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author
Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting? (Read 20,699 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Phobos on Dec 08, 2020, 02:55:37 AM
I'm surprised that more people would rather sit through the prequels than watch Aliens and A3.

Not that much of a gap, and the first option includes Alien.

SiL

If Alien-Alien3 was an option one would win no prizes for guessing the most popular answer.

seattle24

Quote from: SM on Dec 08, 2020, 12:59:48 AM
There was potential in the Connors/ Verheiden/ Miller 'death' scenes - but the editing was choppy and I think they overdid the quivery lip thing.

And the Alien sound effects are bad. But they started chucking the 'less is more' approach out of the window long before AvP.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 07, 2020, 02:21:28 PM
This all makes me think of James Cameron, where it's been said multiple times that he can do practically everyone's job better than they can.. cameraman, lighting, cinematography, storyboards, concept art, editing... that with his constant meddling/assistance, he makes almost everyone better around him. Pissed off, yes,  :laugh: but also better. Cameron can wear so many hats it frustrates him sometimes he had to rely on other people. But that's of course a rare breed!

And that's why I love the man

Quote from: seattle24 on Dec 08, 2020, 08:32:47 AM
Quote from: SM on Dec 08, 2020, 12:59:48 AM
There was potential in the Connors/ Verheiden/ Miller 'death' scenes - but the editing was choppy and I think they overdid the quivery lip thing.

And the Alien sound effects are bad. But they started chucking the 'less is more' approach out of the window long before AvP.

Alien's headbite in AvP 2004 has metalic sound to it which is weird

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 08, 2020, 02:00:41 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 07, 2020, 02:21:28 PM
This all makes me think of James Cameron, where it's been said multiple times that he can do practically everyone's job better than they can.. cameraman, lighting, cinematography, storyboards, concept art, editing... that with his constant meddling/assistance, he makes almost everyone better around him. Pissed off, yes,  :laugh: but also better. Cameron can wear so many hats it frustrates him sometimes he had to rely on other people. But that's of course a rare breed!

And that's why I love the man

I remember watching a Brad Fiedel interview about scoring The Terminator and Brad said Cameron corrected him on a portion of the score and, wouldn't you know it, Brad admitted Jim was right.

Kradan

Take that, Cameron haters !!!  :P

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 06, 2020, 11:52:20 PM
Ridley Scott has that super power. His prequels are not cheap, but they look even more expensive, especially Prometheus. Even the Raised by Wolves episode he directed looked Top Tier.

Agreed. Ridley and Cameron with science fiction have the brilliant talent to make the visuals and the camerawork look great down to the smallest detail.
Add to that they are great in their casting.
Ridley is very good with pace in building a mystery.
Cameron is great with pace in building an action sequence.
And it's not about money, Blade Runner and The Terminator were cheap films.

And as you said; Prometheus, Raised by Wolves episode one (l'd add Covenant) were all low budget and looked very good.

On all those levels PWS Anderson isn't close to being that good (except for Event Horizon). AvP was still fun though.

;)

Rudiger

(1) Alien, (2) Aliens, (3) Alien DC / Aliens DC (alternating).

The rest I can easily do without.

Voodoo Magic

He changed the no-win situation like Kirk and Kobayashi Maru!

Local Trouble

Quote from: Rudiger on Dec 09, 2020, 02:58:11 PM
(1) Alien, (2) Aliens, (3) Alien DC / Aliens DC (alternating).

The rest I can easily do without.

Understandable.

SM

Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 09, 2020, 01:26:27 PM
Ridley Scott has that super power. His prequels are not cheap, but they look even more expensive, especially Prometheus. Even the Raised by Wolves episode he directed looked Top Tier.

Agreed. Ridley and Cameron with science fiction have the brilliant talent to make the visuals and the camerawork look great down to the smallest detail.

And as you said; Prometheus, Raised by Wolves episode one (l'd add Covenant) were all low budget and looked very good.

On all those levels PWS Anderson isn't close to being that good (except for Event Horizon). AvP was still fun though.

;)

By what measure were Blade Runner and Prometheus cheap or low budget?

HuDaFuK

Blade Runner definitely looks a hell of a lot more expensive than it was, but "low budget" is pushing it.

Prometheus cost a shit-ton.

SM

Other films around 1982: ET cost $10.5m, Rambo cost $15m, Tron cost $17m, Poltergeist cost $10.7m, Conan cost $20m, Gandhi cost $22m - Blade Runner was around $30m.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: SM on Dec 09, 2020, 09:28:37 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 09, 2020, 01:26:27 PM

;)

By what measure were Blade Runner and Prometheus cheap or low budget?

After checking the numbers, Blade Runner had an above average budget for a special effects science fiction movie at that time. Not the most expensive film but still not low budget. I stand corrected.
* Prometheus is low budget for a special effects science fiction film for its time.

* Blade Runner production budget; $28 million
https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Blade-Runner#tab=summary

1978 Superman cost $55 million
1981 Superman II cost $54 million
https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Superman-II#tab=summary

* Prometheus (2012) production budget; $125 million
https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Prometheus#tab=summary

2012 John Carter cost $264 million   
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films

;)

SiL

$28 million in the early 80s isn't low budget and $125 million in 2009 wasn't low budget either. $125 million still isn't low budget - $80m is about the cutoff for "mid budget" movies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed