Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 159,282 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 07, 2020, 11:20:07 AM
I've got to admit, despite the high likelihood of hardly ever being able to actually play it, that starter set that's due out next month is looking increasingly tempting.

It's very worth it!

QuoteI assume most of you who bought the core rule book got it from Free League's website? If so, what are their shipping rates like (specifically to the UK)? I saw it mentioned in here that they're pretty expensive, but it doesn't seem like they've got their prices listed anywhere that I can see.

I think it was around £15. I think.

QuoteAlso, do you need to have an account on DriveThruRPG to get the PDFs? I see it's mentioned on a few items that they're sent via them, so is that something you'd need to log in there to have access to or do they just provide links to that site that you can download them from?

Yeah, it'll make you create an account.

Kailem

Tyranny!

Nah that doesn't sound so bad, thanks for the response! I saw that a lot of Cyberpunk PDFs go through them too and that's another one I've been eyeing lately, so it'll probably be good for more than just this if I end up getting into any other tabletop RPG's down the line.

And £15 or thereabouts also doesn't sound terrible for around £90 worth of stuff. It's a bit odd that the starter set/Destroyer of Worlds "discount" bundle  is the same price as buying them both individually seems to be, but either way if and when I pick it up I'll definitely be going for the bundle.

Corporal Hicks

For those who pre-ordered, the new scenario has been sent out on PDF, as has the new Starter rules - which yes, is the core book without the lore, just the mechanics. Really looking forward to giving this one a go!

j0nesy

same, cannot wait to give destroyer of worlds a play with you lot!

SM

There was a couple of silly lore bits in Destroyer... and a mangled Mahabharata quote, but it otherwise looks like a cool scenario in a cool setting.

j0nesy

sm:

did you just proofread the lore/story, or have you played it too?

Kailem

Well I took the plunge and ordered/pre-ordered the core rules, starter set and Destroyer of Worlds! Got the PDFs a few minutes ago and I'm about to delve right into the rules and take a look at the stuff I can look at without being spoiled.

Excited to hopefully play some games with you folks in the near future! ;D

SM

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 11, 2020, 12:07:56 AM
sm:

did you just proofread the lore/story, or have you played it too?

The former.

j0nesy

Quote from: Kailem on Jul 11, 2020, 04:58:07 PM
Well I took the plunge and ordered/pre-ordered the core rules, starter set and Destroyer of Worlds! Got the PDFs a few minutes ago and I'm about to delve right into the rules and take a look at the stuff I can look at without being spoiled.

to avoid spoilers, i'd probably only read the rules and at most, the character sheets for DoW. i'll be waiting until after my first playthrough (hopefully week after next, depending on shevvie/hicks schedule) until i read throw the lore stuff

i cannot recommend buying the original core rulebook enough though, the lore content and gorgeous artwork is so worth the money

Quote from: SM on Jul 11, 2020, 11:09:50 PM
The former.

once i've read through it, wouldn't mind hearing what you found silly. did you convey these thoughts to free league/gaska?  :P

Kailem

Yeah I'm really looking forward to getting the core rulebook and digging in to all that sweet, sweet lore. Even just the set-up stuff at the beginning of the starter set PDF is great.

And yes I saw the "only read this scenario book if you're going to be running the game, not if you're playing it" warnings at the beginning of Chariot and Destroyer, so I'm steering well clear of those. I'm glad the agendas are on separate cards to the character stats and bios and stuff so I can at least look at those and see if any take my fancy.

Right now I'm continuing to dig through the rules and figuring out how to do all the stuff and things.

j0nesy

looking forward to seeing you join our sessions!  :)

SM

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 12, 2020, 12:09:58 AM
Quote from: Kailem on Jul 11, 2020, 04:58:07 PM

to avoid spoilers, i'd probably only read the rules and at most, the character sheets for DoW. i'll be waiting until after my first playthrough (hopefully week after next, depending on shevvie/hicks schedule) until i read throw the lore stuff

i cannot recommend buying the original core rulebook enough though, the lore content and gorgeous artwork is so worth the money

Quote from: SM on Jul 11, 2020, 11:09:50 PM
The former.

once i've read through it, wouldn't mind hearing what you found silly. did you convey these thoughts to free league/gaska?  :P

I mentioned them to Free League (though I didn't use the term silly), but I saw a proof of the book, so it may have been too late to make changes.

Corporal Hicks

We've got a release date for the physical releases of the Destroyer and the Starter, September 8.

QuoteFree League Publishing today announced that Destroyer of Worlds, the next Cinematic scenario module for the ALIEN RPG, will be officially released on September 8. Destroyer of Worlds, written by sci-fi author Andrew E.C. Gaska, will be launched alongside a new Starter Set for the game.

Destroyer of Worlds lets players take the role of an iconic type of character from the ALIEN universe: the Colonial Marine. A team of Colonial Marines get dropped onto the moon Ariaricus to handle a growing insurgency, but soon find themselves fighting for their lives against enemies beyond their worst nightmares. Priced at $29.99, the Destroyer of Worlds Cinematic scenario comes in a boxed set, including maps, handouts, and cards for a fully immersive tabletop experience.

The ALIEN RPG Starter Set is designed to be the perfect entry point into the game and the ALIEN universe. Affordably priced at $49.99, it contains everything needed to start playing, including an abridged 104-page softcover quickstart of the core rules, 20 custom dice, reference cards, character handouts, a huge starmap, and the complete Cinematic scenario Chariot of the Gods, also penned by Gaska.

For more information about Destroyer of Worlds and the ALIEN RPG Starter Set, go to alien-rpg.com. Both items are available for pre-order on the website.

j0nesy

j0nesy

Quote from: SM on Jul 12, 2020, 09:45:33 PM
I mentioned them to Free League (though I didn't use the term silly), but I saw a proof of the book, so it may have been too late to make changes.

dave from the effekt podcast partook in our session tonight (playing in shevvie's awesome homebrew!) and he mentioned the second act having a few problems, and he did some work on it after drew, but it still left me really excited to play DoW soon!

SpaceKase

You guys are going to be doing a podcast on this soon, aren't you?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed